Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI Tactical Shotgun with low recoil.

RFI Tactical Shotgun with low recoil.

I spent some time with the search function, and didnt find anything definitive on the question.

Most of my right shoulder, and all of my right collarbone had to be rebuilt last year with lots of titanium. I've reached the point where I don't believe I will progress any further with physical therapy and I'm doing pretty good given the circumstances. The problem is, I broke the first implant they rebuilt my collarbone with clean in half. Doc was astonished, by it, said he'd never seen the like. Im trying to find a quality, reliable, low recoil semi auto 12g shotgun. It's mostly for my wife when I'm not around, but she's a tiny woman (5'0" 115) so I have the same aversion to recoil for her.

Is there anything that meets my requirements under $1k?

Thanks in advance.

Site Supporter
    Does it have to be a 12ga? A 20 may be a lower recoil option for both of you. What kind of ammo? Is an AR off the table? I'm not you, but if I had a titanium right shoulder and was right hand dominate I believe I'd put in some serious off-hand long arm training. I'm not sure I'd want any amount of 12ga through that shoulder.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Overide View Post
    I spent some time with the search function, and didnt find anything definitive on the question.

Most of my right shoulder, and all of my right collarbone had to be rebuilt last year with lots of titanium. I've reached the point where I don't believe I will progress any further with physical therapy and I'm doing pretty good given the circumstances. The problem is, I broke the first implant they rebuilt my collarbone with clean in half. Doc was astonished, by it, said he'd never seen the like. Im trying to find a quality, reliable, low recoil semi auto 12g shotgun. It's mostly for my wife when I'm not around, but she's a tiny woman (5'0" 115) so I have the same aversion to recoil for her.

Thanks in advance.
    Assuming this is for civilian defensive use, there are so many far more user-friendly weapons available, I wouldn’t recommend any shotgun for any small person who does not already love shooting and moreover self-identifies as “recoil adverse.”

But if you insist on having one anyway, the Beretta 1301 is the Way of Pistol Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20ga shotguns often have harsher recoil than 12ga ones because they are so much lighter. There are also very few decent defensive loss in 20ga. The lightest recoiling 12ga I have experience with is the Beretta 1301 but I haven’t seen one for less than $1,000 in years.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

If it must be a shotgun then I don't think any specific choice will be nearly as beneficial as taking a class that teaches propper push-pull techniques... That will reduce recoil far more than the slight variations found in different brands/platforms/shell-choices.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Assuming this is for civilian defensive use, there are so many far more user-friendly weapons available, I wouldn’t recommend any shotgun for any small person who does not already love shooting and moreover self-identifies as “recoil adverse.”

But if you insist on having one anyway, the Beretta 1301 is the Way of Pistol Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah, this sounds like a job for a 5.56 or 9mm carbine with a red dot to me.

Thanks in advance.
    This was my answer to basically the same requirements. Messed up shoulder, cant tolerate recoil, no desire to ruin surgery on the shoulder.

Name:  590_shockwave.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  14.5 KB

In normal average life a rifle/carbine is my first choice, even a mild recoiling one like a 357 or 30-30 with lighter bullets. Life doesnt always go according to plan, so something thats safer in town was desired. Held up in similar position to a gun with a stock, theres no real recoil transmitted to the shoulder, you can see where its going and make reasonable hits. there was a youtube of a guy shooting skeet with one, I dont think he shot it clean but was doing very well. Use low recoil loads if it helps. No 4 buck seems reasonable as a house gun in town.

Theres some discussion about them here (the Remington Tac 14 nd Mossenberg Shockwave), a search should turn it up*. They tend to shoot a bit higher than expected when looking over the barrel and sight bead, about a foot at 20 or 30 feet. Ive been intending to put a low ramp and blade front sight on mine but havent yet.

The common shotgun pistol grips are awful, the raptor type grip like the Shockwave and Tac 14 have are not bad at all to shoot.

*https://www.google.com/search?q=shoc...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-02-2022 at 07:29 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter

Thanks in advance.
    Given your requirements, I would suggest a pistol caliber carbine instead of a shotgun.

Do you or your wife have prior experience shooting shotguns? Do you shoot shotguns regularly for hunting or Claybird games? if the answer to these questions is no, then you should think about a handgun or pistol, caliber carbine.

if, after all that, you still want a shotgun, then you want a gas operated semi auto shotgun in 12 gauge with low recoil ammunition. As noted by prior posters, a 12 gauge shotgun with Larie Coraline munition actually has less recoil than a 20 gauge. 20 gauge guns themselves are slightly smaller and lighter, which is why they’ve traditionally been recommended as a youth and ladies gun for hunting and Claybird sports. However, physics is a harsh mistress and the reduction in weight found in 20 gauge guns means they kick about the same as a 12 gauge gun with standard ammunition.

My first recommendation would be a Beretta 1301 tactical. It is slightly over your $1000 budget but worth the extra money.

If under $1000 is a hard limit, the second best option would probably be one of the Stoeger 3000 series shotguns.

There are a couple threads here on the Stoeger guns, but by the time you make a few upgrades, you will arrive at the cost of a 1301.

I'd agree with the 5.56 or PCC as much better choice, ether of those are essentially recoiless as far as pain goes (I've got lot of pain issues and AR is nothing) and will be much easier to get in proper LOP for your wife.

We, gf and myself, have Remington 11-87 mine is a 12 gauge and hers a 20 gauge, I can shoot the 20 gauge but one or two gunfull is all I care to do anymore with slugs or buckshot.

My gf also has a Marlin 336Y (youth model with 16" barrel and 12" LOP 5+1 vs standard 20" 6+1 capacity) and even with 170 grain loads is mild recoil and pain free.

It is setup with Federal 30-30 (3030C) 125JHP load that does around 13" penetration in gelatin from ether 16' or 20" barrels.

You might want to look at @NH Shooter threads

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37084-1187P

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post904323

We are planning on trying NH Shooter's very good idea to use Low Recoil Buck and Slugs in 12 gauge Rem 11-87 that route to replace the 20 gauge 11-87 as primary (shared) home defense long gun, more to simplify logisitics and to get bit less recoil (heavier gun with 12 gauge low recoil loads ~20 gauge recoil).
    Last edited by Dov; 12-02-2022 at 08:11 PM.

Pretty sure friend Hobie mentioned here https://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.c...0-and-law.html is Keith Jones who is well known in by those of us a bit older as Officer Survival and related instructor/mentor @Chuck Haggard might still be in touch with him, I haven't talked to Keith in few years but comments on that link match what Keith has told me in the past.

User Tag List