Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: None traditional sight in options

None traditional sight in options

This is going to be a stupid question because I'm pretty sure I know the answer but.....

If I want to sight in a rifle what are my options besides going to a rifle range? Is there a quick and dirty way to at least get on target center mass?

I have access to a 100 yard outdoor range but I either don't have time to go or it's bad weather. Last weekend was gorgeous but I had things to do. This weekend is supposed to rain all Saturday and Sunday I'm driving 4hr round trip to take my parents to the port for their cruise. I'm not sure of the weather next week but on Sunday I have to go and pick my parents up. On top of that this range closes for a few months every winter and that time is coming up

I have regular indoor ranges but they're all handgun distance. I think they may go as far as 25 yards but there is no bench.

I was thinking maybe a laser bore sighter and then confirm at the indoor range? Since this obviously isn't ideal I was thinking as long as I can keep the shots center mass and about the size of a computer mouse I should be good until I can get to an outdoor range. But I've always thought of bore sighters as a gimmick.

Does this sound retarded or doable

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    This is going to be a stupid question because I'm pretty sure I know the answer but.....

If I want to sight in a rifle what are my options besides going to a rifle range? Is there a quick and dirty way to at least get on target center mass?

I have access to a 100 yard outdoor range but I either don't have time to go or it's bad weather. Last weekend was gorgeous but I had things to do. This weekend is supposed to rain all Saturday and Sunday I'm driving 4hr round trip to take my parents to the port for their cruise. I'm not sure of the weather next week but on Sunday I have to go and pick my parents up. On top of that this range closes for a few months every winter and that time is coming up

I have regular indoor ranges but they're all handgun distance. I think they may go as far as 25 yards but there is no bench.

I was thinking maybe a laser bore sighter and then confirm at the indoor range? Since this obviously isn't ideal I was thinking as long as I can keep the shots center mass and about the size of a computer mouse I should be good until I can get to an outdoor range. But I've always thought of bore sighters as a gimmick.

Possibly retarded, depending on what you plan to shoot your rifle at.

I would take a 25yd zero over an untested boresight zero any day. Boresights can get you on paper, and in some cases a lot better. However, you can be significantly off target with a boresight for a variety of reasons including trajectory and misalignment of the laser.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Sequence:
    1. Good quality laser sighter (like Wheeler). Preferably without muzzle device attached.
    2. Use ballistic calculator for your optic height, ammo and barrel to determine what the holdover/under will be at 100 yards compared to a 25 yard zero.
    3. Go to indoor range and use a 2” circle paster and bring a ruler or caliper.
    4. Bring a backpack or something to use as a rest or stand. Or get a shooting tripod/bipod/monopod and bring it with you. Pin yourself into the corner of your stall to remove wobble.
    5. Adjust your zero to what you calculated in #2.

If you can remove the bolt and look through the bore, continue reading.

Stabilize the gun while looking through the bore at a distant target. For instance I will place the upper on a towel looking out my front window to a fence post 100 yards away. I can adjust the towel to slightly increase or decrease height. Once the tip of a fence post (or other small POA) is centered in the bore, simply adjust the optic to that same POI.

I've done this on everything from .22s to .50 BMG. Confirm you're safely on paper at a proper distance.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Possibly retarded, depending on what you plan to shoot your rifle at.

I would take a 25yd zero over an untested boresight zero any day. Boresights can get you on paper, and in some cases a lot better. However, you can be significantly off target with a boresight for a variety of reasons including trajectory and misalignment of the laser.
    What about the bore sights that are like looking through a scope....or something. I'm probably not describing it correctly but they're not just lasers pointed at a wall.

This is an AR with a PRO and irons. Normally I sight in at 50 and double check at a 100 that I'm about 2-3 in high. Best I can do to verify without some serious driving to the nearest 200+ yards range

As cheap as cheap bore sighters are, and as expensive as ammo and primers are, it would seem to be a place to start.
    But I have done the bore sight process before with good results.

ETA:
    What about the bore sights that are like looking through a scope....or something. I'm probably not describing it correctly but they're not just lasers pointed at a wall.
    I think this is the bore sighting people are referring to. You get back and peer through the bore, it works like a pinhole camera. You could do this out a window before heading to the range.

This is an AR with a PRO and irons. Normally I sight in at 50 and double check at a 100 that I'm about 2-3 in high. Best I can do to verify without some serious driving to the nearest 200+ yards range
    I would do the same, but you will still be a little low at 25yds. When the weather clears you can confirm at 200yds.

If "on paper" is the goal, looking through the bore or a laser boresight can get it done. It's possible that you can use a non-firing method to do better, but how will you know until you check the POI with a group?

As I wrote above, a careful 25yd zero is a better way to go.

Edit: are your irons sighted in?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Edit: are your irons sighted in?
    No, new rifle. Neither sights are attached yet

I’m with Clusterfrack. You can use a ballistic calculator to define a 25 yd POI for a 100 POA. Heck there may already be a zero target out there on the interwebs. I know there are for AR’s.

I’d trust that more than anything without any rounds fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For an AR pattern rifle, I'd look online for the 36yard zero sighting target for a 25yard range. they're out there. and fine tune at 25 yards as finitely as you can

User Tag List