Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite powder for mid range .45 colt

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Huh?
    I think that I should have been clearer when I wrote.
    The tech explained to me that it would be able to sustain the pressure and velocities up to 1000 fps, and not to exceed that.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    03RN;
    Smith and Wesson told me, when I first purchased my MG, not to run any handloads beyond 1000 fps.
    Told me that the it was capable to handle this.
    Just figured I'd offer it up.
    I wasn't looking to go past that. A 270 @ 950+/- is my goal

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wasn't looking to go past that. A 270 @ 950+/- is my goal
    You can shoot through damn near anything you want with that. I'd go after elk with it and not think twice.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Not to side track, tell me to bugger off and start another thread if you wish...

I’d appreciate the insight on using the .45colt out of a long gun for larger game from those who have done so. I’m talking mule deer/elk/cuddly bears.

Thank you.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Turned off the two Vt. white tails like a light switch, with a 265 Keith bullet out of a Winchester trapper.

Can't speak for bears, but I imagine hard cart would do the job on Black bear in the northeast.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Not to side track, tell me to bugger off and start another thread if you wish...

I’d appreciate the insight on using the .45colt out of a long gun for larger game from those who have done so. I’m talking mule deer/elk/cuddly bears.

Thank you.
    I've only killed whitetails with mine. The largest was 220lbs. With a 255grain load from buffalo bore. It's no longer listed but iirc it was getting 1300fps from a 16 inch barrel.

I had nuisance permits on a nursery and shot a couple dozen. They dropped like rocks.

I need to bring my carbine out to chronograph next time.

I wouldn't hesitate hunting bears here either.

You can load them a lot hotter https://www.leverguns.com/articles/p...ltlevergun.htm

The old go-to powders seem to be dying off, or at least haven't been available for awhile. I was a user of Bullseye until it disappeared in the 2008 drought. I had some shotgun powder (American Select) so tried that for a sub. Not optimal but it's pretty close to Bullseye for 45. Now that even seems hard to find so I think Alliant has more or less discontinued the old reliable powders in favor of the newly developed powders.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...15&bulletid=15

If I had to replace my American Select with another powder (I don't anytime soon) I'd try some BE-86. Everyone that posts about it seems to like it and you can actually find it in a store.

I bought 20 lbs of powder before the troubles started so the hazmat was a small percentage of the cost.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

Thank you.
    OK. I'll contribute to the TD.

Mule deer? It won't work very well. At least where I used to hunt in AZ. The problem is the open country and ranges that may be encountered. >>100 yds is not uncommon.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The old go-to powders seem to be dying off, or at least haven't been available for awhile. I was a user of Bullseye until it disappeared in the 2008 drought. I had some shotgun powder (American Select) so tried that for a sub. Not optimal but it's pretty close to Bullseye for 45. Now that even seems hard to find so I think Alliant has more or less discontinued the old reliable powders in favor of the newly developed powders.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...15&bulletid=15

If I had to replace my American Select with another powder (I don't anytime soon) I'd try some BE-86. Everyone that posts about it seems to like it and you can actually find it in a store.

I bought 20 lbs of powder before the troubles started so the hazmat was a small percentage of the cost.
    I was really tempted to go with be-86 but the price of 8 lbs was just a bit to much for me right now. With primers, hazmat, etc I went with true blue because it was only $30/lbs. I just got 5lbs.

I went through 8lbs of be-86 in .45 acp, .38+p and .357 recently. Top end with .357 stopped at 1150fps with 158gr bullet. 1000fps with .38s and .45s with 158/200gr respectively.

User Tag List