Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite powder for mid range .45 colt

Actually with Alliant you’re better off clicking on the Products tab, going to your powder du’jour and then clicking on “all recipes”

Name:  1B7DA739-0B61-46C2-8D0B-FEF0AE1A7849.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  53.4 KB

But it’s still like they are segregating the data off in Limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    03RN,
    Congratulations on finding a .45 Colt Mountain Gun! My .44 Mag MG is my only remaining S&W and it’s going to stay in my collection till someone starts shoveling dirt on me.
    Thanks $1100 seems like a steal now a days

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Actually with Alliant you’re better off clicking on the Products tab, going to your powder du’jour and then clicking on “all recipes”

Name:  1B7DA739-0B61-46C2-8D0B-FEF0AE1A7849.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  53.4 KB

But it’s still like they are segregating the data off in Limbo.
    Figuring on how unique, pp, and be-86 all are close I wouldn't even hesitate on starting at 9gr of be-86.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Figuring on how unique, pp, and be-86 all are close I wouldn't even hesitate on starting at 9gr of be-86.
    My 629 MG is decidedly more spirited with the same loads compared to my 4 5/8” SBH. It has the dash enhancements to handle some gnarley loads, but my 63 year old hands do not. I’m thinking a 250gr WFN or SWC at 850fps would do in most anything east of the Rockies.

Looks like Universal Clays might be another good option for you if it's available. I use Universal predominantly in .45 Colt and it burns clean in above mid-range loads. It's my go-to powder for .45 Colt and .45 ACP. Judging by the velocities listed for the load of Unique you're using, Universal might not give enough speed though.

something that worked but probably not as powerful as what you are looking for

I don't know if they even make Trail Boss anymore but I had remarkably good luck with getting consistency and low single digit SD numbers with that stuff in revolver cartridges, and I still have a mountain of it from CAS days. The non-cowboy action load I liked was 6.3 gr with a 200gr Missouri bullet hitech coated rnfp, got about 820fps out of my 4"625. Probably below the range you are looking for and like I said, not sure you can even find Trail Boss any more. It is more or less a fluffy version of bullseye that filled more of the case, burned similar to titegroup. Found it easier to throw using the rifle powder measure in my Dillon 650. Before I had the Trail Boss I was having good luck with a similar load using Titegroup, but that was mostly because I also had a lot of that on hand.

Following this thread. I have my Grandmothers old Mountain Gun in 45 Colt that I got after she passed away . Will be using the RCBS-270-SAA bullet and have the load data from Brian Pierce saved . Will be trying out the 2400 and 4227 loads as I much prefer a powder that fills the case .

Name:  dF2pkva.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  66.1 KB

Got some true blue
    Name:  BP PL-TABLE 3.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  25.7 KB
    Name:  1645516334_loc.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  23.8 KB

03RN;
    Smith and Wesson told me, when I first purchased my MG, not to run any handloads beyond 1000 fps.
    Told me that the it was capable to handle this.
    Just figured I'd offer it up.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    03RN;
    Smith and Wesson told me, when I first purchased my MG, not to run any handloads beyond 1000 fps.
    Told me that the it was capable to handle this.
    Just figured I'd offer it up.
    Huh?

User Tag List