Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's your favorite powder for mid range .45 colt

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I was really tempted to go with be-86 but the price of 8 lbs was just a bit to much for me right now. With primers, hazmat, etc I went with true blue because it was only $30/lbs. I just got 5lbs.

I went through 8lbs of be-86 in .45 acp, .38+p and .357 recently. Top end with .357 stopped at 1150fps with 158gr bullet. 1000fps with .38s and .45s with 158/200gr respectively.
    Makes sense. Develop new powder, increase the price, then discontinue the old powder.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Guess the no unique was a blessing. I was shooting my 16" m92 with a few different loads and the 255gr swc I've always shot over unique in my Blackhawk shot like trash with unique and velocity wasn't great. Same with the new 270gr bullets I just got.

They shoot great in my mountain gun.

I then shot a few of my saved 250gr XTPs over 2400 and accuracy was great. Velocity was much better as well.

I'm hopeful that the true blue powder is slow enough that my carbine likes it. At the very least I know the carbine is set for hunting. I haven't shot it in a couple years.

Fwiw 9gr unique under a 270gr swc gets 950fps on the nose from a 4" barrel and 1178 fps from a 16" barrel.

The 2400 load is 18gr under a 250gr xtp. I get 950fps from a 4"
    barrel and 1403 from a 16" barrel
    Name:  IMG_20221211_142316.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  59.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Guess the no unique was a blessing. I was shooting my 16" m92 with a few different loads and the 255gr swc I've always shot over unique in my Blackhawk shot like trash with unique and velocity wasn't great. Same with the new 270gr bullets I just got.

They shoot great in my mountain gun.

I then shot a few of my saved 250gr XTPs over 2400 and accuracy was great. Velocity was much better as well.

I'm hopeful that the true blue powder is slow enough that my carbine likes it. At the very least I know the carbine is set for hunting. I haven't shot it in a couple years.

Fwiw 9gr unique under a 270gr swc gets 950fps on the nose from a 4" barrel and 1178 fps from a 16" barrel.

The 2400 load is 18gr under a 250gr xtp. I get 950fps from a 4"
    barrel and 1403 from a 16" barrel
    Name:  IMG_20221211_142316.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  59.9 KB
    that is my experience exactly with those loads. I haven’t had the time to experiment with different powder.

Some of John Linebaughs writing:

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

I think you 45 Colt guys will like this.

Bob

ETA: This wasn't the article I thought it was, here's a collection of Linebaughs gems, FWIW, his carry gun at the time this was written was a S&W Model 25 in 45 Colt:

http://www.reinfjord.net/art/Gun%20N...0Linebaugh.pdf
    Last edited by 358156hp; 12-11-2022 at 08:22 PM.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    The shotgun powder Red Dot performs very well in 45 Colt standard loads. The large powder capacity in this case dictates selecting a powder that will not be position sensitive, will produce desired velocity within standard pressure range, and do all this with minimal shot to shot variation. Red Dot does not meter well unless a trick or two is employed. Old shotgun shooters usually have a supply.

I’m a little late to the thread…

I shoot mostly HS-6 and Longshot in 45 Colt, depending on what I’m trying to do. For HS6 data in particular, I would also recommend the Linebaugh article posted above. HS6 is awfully versatile as long as you keep pressures above mouse farts.

User Tag List