Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight in for HD shotgun

Sight in for HD shotgun

So what is the "proper" sight in/zero for a HD shotgun with GRS?

I my experience, slugs and buck and birdshot don't shoot to the same POA/POI.

One of the great benefits of the shotgun is the ability to shoot a variety of different ammo types, but if they all shoot differently, what do you do?

I assume that at typical HD distance, it probably doesn't make that much difference but what is the consensus of the shotgun cognoscenti?

Do you sight it in for your preferred slug load at 50 yards and note any difference with buck at closer ranges or something else?

I have owned a Benelli M1 and a 590 with GRS in the past but never actually adjusted the sights because I honestly never really used them (why I don't own any now).

But I am considering getting a 1301 Tactical to complement my 1301 Comp and part of my internal debate is how would I use it and get the most out of it.

Not a member of the shotgun cognoscenti but taught LE shotgun for a while.

I patterned all our academy shotguns @ 25yards with 00B (Federal FC), mostly bead sights and then with slugs (Federal). My experience is that they shot pretty much the same with slugs.

For HD/SD, I think 25yards would be where I'd pattern/zero then see where it hits at 50. Again, my experience shooting bead slugs @ 50 is that they shoot pretty much the same - neckhold on a metal torso @ 50 generally hits upper center mass - which is good for me. Only problem was that @ 50 on metal, my mistakes were memorialized until I could run down and paint.

My reasons for 25 yards is simply that in a HD/SD scenario I don't think it is likely to engage beyond that distance.

JMO - worth what you paid.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I zero buck and slugs at 25 yards.

Federal buckshot loads and Truball slugs pretty much have matching POA at that distance.

Check POA/POI at 50, 75, and 100 yards with slugs.

I meant to say don't shoot to POA/POI at longer ranges.

But I also have limited experience shooting buck and slugs. I mostly shoot birdshot at crows and other assorted flying critters.

Most of my slugs/buck experience was go to the store get a 5 rd box and do a couple of "BANG, OWWW" and have a lot of partial boxes with 2 or 3 rods left in them.

I still have a .30 cal ammo can of Remington single aught buck that Sportsmans guide sent me by mistake that still smells new when you open it that I bought after I got that Benelli M1 in 1998.😒

So my experiences with POA/POI may be flinch related as much as anything.😁

You have probably fired more buck/slug than I have in my life teaching one class.
    Last edited by Crow Hunter; 11-30-2022 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Stupid auto correct, at not and.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    I zero buck and slugs at 25 yards.

Federal buckshot loads and Truball slugs pretty much have matching POA at that distance.

Check POA/POI at 50, 75, and 100 yards with slugs.
    How much variation do you see at longer ranges?

I wasn't hitting notebook paper at all at 50 yards the one time I tried it with a 590 shot off bags. (Ouch). Maybe flinch? I gave up after 1 box of slugs as I was getting a recoil headache and wasting ammo at that point, I felt. It was using a modified choke and Remington Sluggers if that matters.

Standing at 15 yards I was on paper hitting my 2in diameter bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    How much variation do you see at longer ranges?

I wasn't hitting notebook paper at all at 50 yards the one time I tried it with a 590 shot off bags. (Ouch). Maybe flinch? I gave up after 1 box of slugs as I was getting a recoil headache and wasting ammo at that point, I felt. It was using a modified choke and Remington Sluggers if that matters.

Standing at 15 yards I was on paper hitting my 2in diameter bullseye.
    Usually a little high at 50.

This is 5 rounds standing through a 590 with slugs that the gun technically wasn’t zeroed for.

Name:  4523B801-2246-480F-9E83-5D67A881F1A3.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  35.2 KB

In a perfect world you should have three overlapping patterns. Step wise:

1) You zero the sights with chosen slugs at 25y. At that distance you will hopefully be able to put 3-5 in your 2" circle, maybe opening up to 4".

2) Check your buckshot pattern. It should completely enclose the slug grouping from step 1. It will cover that by opening up 8-12".

3) Check your birdshot pattern. It should completely cover your buckshot pattern. Hopefully without opening up much more. But if it does, who cares? You're firing birdshot to get reps behind the gun, not shoot tight patterns.

So we can think of our patterns like this:

O (birdshot) > o (buckshot) > • (slug)

If the slugs aren't getting you a consistent grouping smaller than your buckshot pattern, switch slugs. I'd do that anyways from 1600fps Sluggers. Federal Tru-Ball low recoil are my (and many other folk's) preference.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 12-01-2022 at 12:42 AM.

I suggest taking a class that teaches the push/pull method of shooting.

When done properly the push/pull technique mitigates recoil so the shotgun doesn't beat you up with 00 buck and slugs.

Once you experience the proper technique you wont flinch and will be able to get true data on your zero and POA/POI patterns at 5,10, 15, 20, 25, 50, 75, and 100.

Get the good ammo mentioned above that you would use for home defense to collect your data.

Often times people are surprised to find out that the buckshot they thought was good enough will not keep all the pellets on a torso sized target at 10 yards.

You get a lot out of a good shotgun class that will make you more confident with it especially if you practice.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    +1 to the above.

I strongly agree with taking a class with someone who teaches the push/pull method. I took a class with Rob and Matt Haught and we went through a couple of hundred rounds of 12 gauge, mostly birdshot but also some 00 buck and slugs, and I had no shoulder soreness. I was using an 870 rather than an autoloader.

There's no reason to use full-power ammo in an HD shotgun. Go with the low-recoil stuff. My understanding is that the 1301s work fine with it.

There's a strong preference on P-F for Federal Flite Control (FFC) eight-pellet 00-buck low-recoil ammo. It's not hype. My 870 with a cylinder bore barrel will keep all eight pellets in the A zone of a USPSA target at 25 yards.

I zeroed my 870 at 25 yards with Federal Truball low-recoil slugs, and all three rounds touched. I checked with the FFC load and POA/POI are the same. I'd be confident using it at 50 yards with slugs, but farther than that is rifle range for me. Since I live in a suburban area, any threat that stays outside my house will be addressed by local LE rather than me.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    In a perfect world you should have three overlapping patterns. Step wise:

1) You zero the sights with chosen slugs at 25y. At that distance you will hopefully be able to put 3-5 in your 2" circle, maybe opening up to 4".

2) Check your buckshot pattern. It should completely enclose the slug grouping from step 1. It will cover that by opening up 8-12".

3) Check your birdshot pattern. It should completely cover your buckshot pattern. Hopefully without opening up much more. But if it does, who cares? You're firing birdshot to get reps behind the gun, not shoot tight patterns.

So we can think of our patterns like this:

O (birdshot) > o (buckshot) > • (slug)

If the slugs aren't getting you a consistent grouping smaller than your buckshot pattern, switch slugs. I'd do that anyways from 1600fps Sluggers. Federal Tru-Ball low recoil are my (and many other folk's) preference.
    That is an awesome description. Very clear and concise.

I appreciate that.

User Tag List