Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Support Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I've always been skeptical of a sweat shield that would be able to lock a thumb safety in place. It just seems with all the various thumb safeties available from the GI shape to the Colt Teardrop to all the various extended thumb safeties not to mention the low mount options, I just don't know how a holster maker could possibly make a sweat shield that could accommodate all those shapes unless the holster maker had your specific gun on hand when they were making your holster.
    JMCK specifies that they can do it, if your pistol still has whatever what was the original safety, my experience was with my Rugers and it worked great.

Number 1 on my support gear list for the 1911/2011 is a great gunsmith.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have holsters from JM with molding to trap the safety and I have holsters I modified using a lighter to do so. They all work. Sometimes the safety can get past the molding and disengage when the holster isn’t on me, but when it’s on the support from the holster being up against my body means it’s very, very hard for the safety to move to off. Mission accomplished.

Last I knew Tony doesn’t love doing this mod for liability reasons, and it’s a custom option requiring you specifically ask for it and comment saying you accept all liability and know it’s your responsibility to operate the manual safety on your gun. Since 1911s are quick ship now, and I know I can make the mod myself, my future orders will be quick ships and I’ll mold the holster to my safeties (both of my carry guns have Ed Brown extended safeties).

All my AIWB holsters are JM and I’d only be tempted to try a Tenicor from among other brands. Unless Dark Star starts making 1911 holsters - I’d try one of those.

I use a JM high ride AIWB carrier, with a single pull the dot loop cross patterned (it’s attached to one slot and it’s clasp is attached to another). Next to that is a Mastermind soft mag pouch. Name:  8593C3D6-6E74-4B16-9E8D-B7BEE4CF3CD2.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  63.8 KB

When I was carrying a 1911 the Keepers worked the best for me. It was fast and concealed well. For leather, the SME was very comfortable but not as fast. It's a really good holster and I would have not problems using it every day. Mag pouches were OWB but I can't remember who I bought them from. I put thousands of rounds through a couple of different 1911s with the Keepers/OWB mag pouch combo including the first day of Gabe White's class. One of the things I really like about the Keepers is the adjustability of it. I can dial it in at the exact height and rake that I need. I don't know if Spencer is still building 1911 holsters or not but if he is, I would definitely try to get ahold of one to try out.

One big problem with any 1911 holster is relying on the holster to engage the safety. There is too much variability with that specific part to make sure that a holster is going to engage it every time. I made holstering with my thumb under the safety part of my routine every single time I holstered.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    One big problem with any 1911 holster is relying on the holster to engage the safety. There is too much variability with that specific part to make sure that a holster is going to engage it every time. I made holstering with my thumb under the safety part of my routine every single time I holstered.
    Yeah. It wasn’t my intention to use the holster to engage the safety, more just having an extra layer of safety to help ensure that it isn’t accidentally swept off while in the holster. Though based on some of these responses, it sounds like that may not be absolutely necessary.

I think I trimmed and reshaped (with heat) my JM 1911 rig to prevent the safety coming off while holstered. But I'm with Rob. Get on the list for an SME, or two.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I think I trimmed and reshaped (with heat) my JM 1911 rig to prevent the safety coming off while holstered. But I'm with Rob. Get on the list for an SME, or two.
    The SMEs are really that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    The SMEs are really that good?
    for a 1911? In my opinion, absolutely.

I have a JMCK AIWB holster for my Colt Combat Unit Railgun (before the mold broke; I don't think they offer one for it anymore; CCU/M45A1/Railgun V2 are the same frame...I think all he offers now is Springfield-style railguns), and IIRC the thumb safety area is simply blocked off - you could carry it with the safety engaged, or hammer down/safety off. Unless something pokes into the holster, the safety isn't going to come off mechanically. I also have a JRC Watson, and the sweat guard has the thumb safety molded into it in the "on" position. Not that that helps you, as JRC has sadly gotten out of the holster business...but, the JMCK should fit your needs if you want a kydex AIWB holster.

For mag pouches, I use and recommend Bawidamann's Denlnger pouches - secure hold, mags come out with a tiny tug, the snap in the back is wide enough to fit over even heavy thick leather belts, etc. Since 1911 mags are so slim in the first place, I really can't imagine anything printing unless you're wearing a skin-tight shirt over them...in which case I'd probably urge you to dress around the gun and accessories? Another alternative are the Comp-Tac 1911 mag pouches; I have a set that's probably getting on 15 years old now...they work, but the belt attachment method isn't the greatest, especially on slim belts. Better for thicker belts.

A note about the Bawidamann pouches - I ordered a set, and they were secure!...to the point where I could click a mag in, and would need two hands and to contort my body a LOT just to try to yank them back out. I emailed them, not really expecting a response...they replied to send them back and they'll take a look. A week or two later I got a call from Andrew (owner, proprietor, etc) who apologized - the guy they have making the pouches went all in on retention, but didn't think about ...you know, needing to actually get them back out of the pouch. Having been target fixated more than once in my life, I understood Anyway, they reworked them and send them back, and they're perfect now. The mags might get loose if I jump from a moving car and roll around on the landing a lot; they will come out if I give the mag a slight tug.

YMMV!

User Tag List