Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Support Gear

Site Supporter

1911 Support Gear

Well after a couple of years of waffling... it looks like I'm getting back in the 1911 game after a hiatus of a few years. I've got a Dan Wesson Valor in Duty Coat on the way. Once I'm confident that the gun runs reliably, I'd like to start carrying it. I've got a handful of random questions, and I figured it would be best not to clutter the "art & science" thread.

- I've carried a Glock 19 AIWB for a number of years, but admittedly have no experience with that carry position and the 1911. JMCK seems like the obvious answer to try it out. Does anyone know if their quick ship holsters are molded to keep the thumb safety engaged? Or will that have to be a custom order?

- I've not carried a spare mag for a number of years, but the reduced capacity of the 1911 leaves me at least wanting the option. When I did carry a spare, it was behind the hip, and concealment sucked. I'm open to trying AIWB mag carriage, but there don't seem to be a ton of options. I'm leaning towards the JMCK high ride pouch, unless there's a better option I'm overlooking.

- Part of the justification for this purchase is to have a cool host for a Silencerco Octane 45 that is currently in NFA jail. I'm comfortable fitting some small parts, but lack the tools and experience to fit a barrel. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the local gunsmithing options, and it seems Dan Wesson's Custom Shop is currently closed. I understand that most of the big name 'smiths have either a significant backlog, or won't take piece work, preferring to to do full builds. Any recommendations for a gunsmith for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post

- I've carried a Glock 19 AIWB for a number of years, but admittedly have no experience with that carry position and the 1911. JMCK seems like the obvious answer to try it out. Does anyone know if their quick ship holsters are molded to keep the thumb safety engaged? Or will that have to be a custom order?
    This is a relatively common question regarding the thumb safety, and I believe JMCK does offer this as an option. However, in the generic, and some often complain about holster makers that mold their holsters for the thumb safety in the off position (Horseshoe Leather the most recognizable https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 ) I've always been skeptical of a sweat shield that would be able to lock a thumb safety in place. It just seems with all the various thumb safeties available from the GI shape to the Colt Teardrop to all the various extended thumb safeties not to mention the low mount options, I just don't know how a holster maker could possibly make a sweat shield that could accommodate all those shapes unless the holster maker had your specific gun on hand when they were making your holster.

In addition, I have a handful of 1911 holsters with sweat shields and I can insert my gun in each of these holsters, with the safety on or off, and the gun/safety merely pushes the piece of leather or kydex out of the way. The sweat shield, or lack of sweat shield has never caused my thumb safety to move. If you are a righty, and your non-ambi thumb safety is getting switched on or off in the holster, my belief is you have a thumb safety problem rather than a holster problem.

(Edit to add: I'm willing to admit there are probably some truly bad holsters that can cause a thumb safety to move, such as some leather thumb break holsters. However, this is not a common issue with most good concealment holsters. Of note, two "old school" leather 1911 holster makers Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen don't even offer an OWB holster with a sweat shield. If this were a concern, they probably would have offered a sweat shield model at some point during all the years they've made holsters for 1911's.)

- Part of the justification for this purchase is to have a cool host for a Silencerco Octane 45 that is currently in NFA jail. I'm comfortable fitting some small parts, but lack the tools and experience to fit a barrel. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the local gunsmithing options, and it seems Dan Wesson's Custom Shop is currently closed. I understand that most of the big name 'smiths have either a significant backlog, or won't take piece work, preferring to to do full builds. Any recommendations for a gunsmith for that?
    Is it too late to buy a Dan Wesson with a threaded barrel. I think they offer some such options. That would be the easy button.
    Last edited by JTQ; 11-30-2022 at 02:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Is it too late to buy a Dan Wesson with a threaded barrel. I think they offer some such options. That would be the easy button.
    They seem to have greatly pared down their product offering in the last couple of years, and I don't see a model listed with a threaded barrel.

The threaded barrel is more of a thing to play with at the range, and I'd rather not have to deal with suppressor height sights that normally come on factory threaded guns.

Wilson Combat may be able to fit a threaded barrel to your gun.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/1911-cu...n-existing-gun

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    Well after a couple of years of waffling... it looks like I'm getting back in the 1911 game after a hiatus of a few years. I've got a Dan Wesson Valor in Duty Coat on the way. Once I'm confident that the gun runs reliably, I'd like to start carrying it. I've got a handful of random questions, and I figured it would be best not to clutter the "art & science" thread.

- I've not carried a spare mag for a number of years, but the reduced capacity of the 1911 leaves me at least wanting the option. When I did carry a spare, it was behind the hip, and concealment sucked. I'm open to trying AIWB mag carriage, but there don't seem to be a ton of options. I'm leaning towards the JMCK high ride pouch, unless there's a better option I'm overlooking.

I love Master minds appendix mag pouch carrier. Crazy comfortable and if needed, you could reinsert the mag if you do a tac reload.

Because 1911 mags are slim, I prefer OWB mag carriers. I use single mag pouches. If I need to carry two mags, I use two single mag pouches. I like leather ones from Milt Sparks or Mitch Rosen Express Line.

If not jmcustom then tenicor.

I've got a jmcustom 2.0 and 2.5. Ive come to prefer the tenicor because I like the wedge they use instead of the claw. If I was going with jm I'd go with their norm aiwb which does the same.

Jmcustom mag pouch with the DCC monoblock is my go to.
    Name:  IMG_20221119_085918~2.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  36.4 KB

I've got a much loved CCC Gestalt for my Colt.
    As for mags, I went with a Wilson Combat leather double mag snap carrier.
    It conceals well, is easy to carry, and holds the mags pretty good. Plus, it's nice to be able to put it on & take it off without having to thread it through my belt.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I'm still a 5Shot SME for 1911. Wait is long, so I'd definitely try JMCK or Tenicor in the interim if I didn't already have an SME.

Spare mag, man IDK - I have tried behind, forward, along the hip, OWB, IWB, soft loop, hard loop, clip, magnetic thingies. In the end a 1911 mag is so thin that pocket carry in a plain leather pouch works well for me.

Nelson Ford in Phoenix usually has a 30-45 day turn around on projects like barrel fitting and he is competent for getting you a properly fitted threaded barrel. Call him and he will tell you how long and how much.

My thing has become "have a spare mag" more than where it is located or how fast I can accomplish the reload, so I have become comfortable with the Rogers designed OWB Safariland 123 horizontal mag carriers, yes it is too slower and I will get kilt in da streetz but it is damn comfortable....and very secure, no worries about my mag falling out some place which over the years has happened to me, especially out hiking.

If I have to be "tactical" and IWB and feel the need to be prepared for a speed load, I use the snakeater pouches for IWB.

Because I buy the Safariland sized for Glocks, I can use any magazine in those as that design has no penalty for using a smaller magazines, same for the snakeeater, it works for a 1911 or a Glock mag or HK mag equally well.

User Tag List