Thread: 5/8-24 threaded 5.56 short AR barrel?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

5/8-24 threaded 5.56 short AR barrel?

I have a buddy who wants to direct thread his 5/8-24 .30 cal can onto an AR SBR chambered for 5.56.

AR15 Performance used to make that spec, but not for a few years. Found some long barrels for target applications.

Figured I'd see if anyone knows of something COTS before I tell him to just get a 14.5 cut and threaded.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I have a buddy who wants to direct thread his 5/8-24 .30 cal can onto an AR SBR chambered for 5.56.

AR15 Performance used to make that spec, but not for a few years. Found some long barrels for target applications.

Figured I'd see if anyone knows of something COTS before I tell him to just get a 14.5 cut and threaded.
    I had an adapter made in the reverse so I could put my 9mm can with 1/2x28 piston on an AAC Handi Rifle that was factory threaded 5/8x24. Did ok with subs and was much lighter than my SDN-6 can.

But cutting and threading is probably about the same price and a more solid option.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

5/8-24 threaded 5.56 short AR barrel?

Pretty sure Black River Tactical has made 5.56 barrels with that larger thread pitch. I only remember because I thought it was odd.

ETA - I think they did but I don’t see one on their site. May be worth asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How long of a barrel is he looking for?

Even if he found a barrel in the length he is looking for with a 5/8x24 muzzle, it may not be the barrel he wants. Get the barrel he wants, then have it cut and threaded.

Just make sure the barrel is thick enough at the point he wants it cut.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Just put on a 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter.

User Tag List