Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assassination of Parking Authority Officer

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Over at the Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy(Home of the Black Rifle) the sentiment is about 20% "I don't condone it but I understand it, wink wink", 20% on how "Parking Enforcement is Unconstitutional and the Founders would have been shooting before now" and 10% "Fuck the Police", 'cause reasons.
    So, both?
    It’s all so tiresome.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You know, the standard "move along, now, no vagrancy here..." (said in sean connery cop voice) city code.

Homelessness, vagrancy, idling, I don't know what they called it. Used to keep the riff-raff out of the downtown and tourist areas, but now all the skells purposely hang out in those places which is not only gross but unsafe and drives away tourists, hurts business.
    Okay, that's what I figured. Just kind of confused, I thought that stuff went away in the early 80's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolend...identification.

But then again, New York City couldn't seem to write a policy on pedestrian stops that didn't violate Terry v. Ohio.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    I'm happy that I live in a city not having this hatred of police. Our department does have many vacancies, and I hear from the guys that few are applying. Fire and Police Depts both have sharp employees. Good leadership at the top fosters this. The City maintains standards and discipline, pays a fair wage, and strives to have a diverse group reflecting the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Okay, that's what I figured. Just kind of confused, I thought that stuff went away in the early 80's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolend...identification.

But then again, New York City couldn't seem to write a policy on pedestrian stops that didn't violate Terry v. Ohio.
    Dan,

There's lots of ways to target bums harassing people that have nothing to do with the vagrancy laws from the case in the 80s and do not violate any constitutional protections.

Depending on the area, various statutes may exist for things like obstruction of sidewalk, aggressive panhandling (soliciting is protected, but coercion is not), disorderly conduct, encroachment, illegal "camping", etc.

The goal being to "move along" the bums in order to protect the safety of the people in the area, cleanliness of the zone, and viability of the local economy. Hence, anything being used to move them along being referred to as "move along laws".

The cities which have abandoned enforcement of such have had predictable results.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

With the justice system in post-covid turmoil, law enforcement not only understaffed but staffed with mid -life crisis millenial tourists who havent ever been punched in the face, the jails full, etc etc it's only going to get worse. Officers are also slowly realizing that proactive enforcement (you know, what cops used to do...going out and catching bad guys) is not wise given current police administrations and HR departments so few are doing anything but just documenting the crimes after they occur. When you do catch guys like this they are out the same day and it's a year or so before it goes to trial only to get plead down to a 3-5 year stint. In the town I work in violent crime is through the roof, car burglaries and car thefts happen many many times a day, and the criminal element has no regard for law enforcement as we cannot even chase bad guys for most offenses anymore (highly restrictive pursuit policy due to a hyperlitigious society). It's chaos and its only gonna get worse....

Oh, for the days of "broken windows"...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Dan,

There's lots of ways to target bums harassing people that have nothing to do with the vagrancy laws from the case in the 80s and do not violate any constitutional protections.

Depending on the area, various statutes may exist for things like obstruction of sidewalk, aggressive panhandling (soliciting is protected, but coercion is not), disorderly conduct, encroachment, illegal "camping", etc.

The goal being to "move along" the bums in order to protect the safety of the people in the area, cleanliness of the zone, and viability of the local economy. Hence, anything being used to move them along being referred to as "move along laws".

The cities which have abandoned enforcement of such have had predictable results.
    Thanks for getting me on track - I was kind of running with my narrow beams on.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

It matters not whether you're actually a full fledged cop, parking authority officer, jailer, fireman, EMT, etc.

If you're wearing a uniform...particularly one with some sort of badge....you are a target since most people can't tell the difference. If you're one of the latter categories that typically wouldn't consider yourself with the same target on your back as a cop, think again. Be cautious. Avoid being in your uniform if you don't need to be. Change at work, commute in street clothes. etc etc.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the LE subforum, since the intended audience is really for people who may resemble cops but aren't cops and typically don't take the same levels of precaution.
    Sadly, this is not a new problem:
    https://kdvr.com/news/local/man-foun...f-rtd-officer/
    "Prosecutors maintained Cummings thought he was killing a police officer when he allegedly walked up behind Von Lanken and shot him in the head."

I was reading city job postings and almost all of them that require the employee to get off their ass and out of the building have take home cars. I don't know if it's seen as a perk or a curse, but I wouldn't want to park a Code Enforcement (property inspections) car in my driveway, let alone a marked police car.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I was reading city job postings and almost all of them that require the employee to get off their ass and out of the building have take home cars. I don't know if it's seen as a perk or a curse, but I wouldn't want to park a Code Enforcement (property inspections) car in my driveway, let alone a marked police car.

I drove a take home marked unit for 16 years in K9. The only time I parked it in the driveway was cleaning it which was a weekly remove dog hair ordeal. I was always armed. It got parked in the garage otherwise. My wife wanted the space but there wasn’t any way I was parking it outside. My old house was in a neighborhood with two ways in and out. It cut down on a lot of traffic in my area. My current house is in a county island on a cul de sac with very little traffic.

It’s a huge perk with a potential for a curse. I was very careful driving home. I watched cars. If anybody made a couple turns with me the old narc kicked in and I do a heat run to see what they did.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List