Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight & safety razor shaving

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    From badgerandblade.com

Versus "dry shaving" with an electric razor I believe.
    Thanks man.

And in that case, chalk me up as a huge proponent of "wetshaving". I have to shave in the shower, every night, and still make waaaay too many passes with a Mach 3 and edge gel. It's impossible for me to get a clean shave without the heat and water. Now I can get a much better shave if I wait an extra day, but I am noticeably needing a shave by then. I'm not really what anyone would call an excessively hairy guy, but my hair is very, very wiry (pale white guy with copper-red hair). Add a little B-12 chemtool to my hair and I could scrub down an engine bay no problemo.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I've been researching wetshaving since reading this thread, and have decided to scrap my Mach3 in favor of a Merkur 38C. Even if it doesn't work as well (which I doubt), the idea appeals to me much more, and I figure that it won't be long before I go to a straight razor. Anyone have any experience with the 3 piece travel Merkur's, like the 985?

In case anyone else is thinking about it, I dealt with Leesrazors.com. Lee was very friendly and helpful, and had free shipping as well.
    Warning: Wet shaving, and *especially* straight razor wet shaving, can be addictive and cost a lot of money!! You end up with several brushes, a few bowls/scuttles, a razor collection, several types of blades, etc... but man, you get great shaves.

I don't have any experience with the travel razors, but I've seen good reviews on them on various shaving sites.

I recommend getting a 'blade safe' as well, unless you live in an old house with the blade slot in the medicine cabinet.

Mama Bear Soaps are great, and she makes shave sticks that are fantastic for travel. I particularly like the Turkish Mocha.

Mantic's youtube videos are a good source of info on the nuts-n-bolts of wet shaving, as well.
    Mike

I've bought stuff from Lee's Razors. Lee is an awesome guy, his shop is my go to shaving store.

I use a double edge razor. A straight razor seems like it's just too much work to maintain. I like the double edge because it gives a much closer shave than my old mach 3, and the blades aren't such a rip off. I can buy a pack of 100 blades online for the cost of a 3 pack of mach 3 blades in a store.

If someone isn't sure about using an "old fashioned" razor, I would recommend at least trying out a decent shaving cream or soap that you lather up with a brush. The difference between a proper shaving cream and that canned foam is like night and day.

Are those soap sticks better than a small tube of cream? They still need a brush, right?

How do you guys like to carry your brush when you travel?

Are those soap sticks better than a small tube of cream? They still need a brush, right?

I use a soap puck in a mug.

When I travel my brush goes in an old toilet paper roll I cut off to cover just the bristles.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I just toss it in my bag. It gets smooshed a little, but when it get's wet it pops back into shape.
    I've never used the shave sticks, most of the soaps I've used have come in resealable tubs. You might be able to get away without a brush, but I'd rather not.

a really good place for shaving soaps is mama bear's
    http://mamabearssoaps.com/
    they're inexpensive, smell good, and make a lot of lather.

Several manufacturers make travel brushes that twist open/closed like a lens brush, and smaller 'normal' brushes can be carried in a pill bottle that has been drilled for ventilation.

Tubed creams work fine. I've seen good reviews for Tabac and Cremo cream, and I've used some of the Gentleman's Refinery products, and they make smaller sizes that are "TSA ok". Their aftershave balm is VERY good stuff.

Here's a couple tutorials about getting good lather with soaps or creams. As the man says in the tutorial, you want good, thick lather almost like a meringue.
    Last edited by mnealtx; 03-27-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Mike

Thanks for the good info.

What do you do about a bowl to lather your soap or cream while on the road?

What do you do about a bowl to lather your soap or cream while on the road?
    Hotel coffee cup

I look like I lost a fight with a weedeater after shaving with a modern safety razor.
    There's no way in hell I trust myself with a straight razor.

User Tag List