Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight & safety razor shaving

I've been using a Braun electric for 20 years with great success. I'm curious to know how often you go in between shaving using a straight razor? Still have to shave every day or can it go 2 or 3? I travel quite a bit and utilize a carry on so I don't think the TSA would like a straight razor going through security, if they'd even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I've been using a Braun electric for 20 years with great success. I'm curious to know how often you go in between shaving using a straight razor? Still have to shave every day or can it go 2 or 3? I travel quite a bit and utilize a carry on so I don't think the TSA would like a straight razor going through security, if they'd even notice.
    I usually shave every three days although my facial hair Is far from heavy. Perhaps someone with more substantial bearding (?) will chime in on the frequency of shaving.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Haven't got around to the cutthroat yet; been doing the wetshaving thing for a few years, though, with a Merkur HD.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    A lot of it depends on beard growth and how close the shave was. I can go about a day and a half with either a straight or a safety razor.

You're not going to get a straight *or* safety razor blades through security. You *can*, however, pick up half-way decent safety razor blades at Wallyworld or many drugstores.
    Mike

I've been researching wetshaving since reading this thread, and have decided to scrap my Mach3 in favor of a Merkur 38C. Even if it doesn't work as well (which I doubt), the idea appeals to me much more, and I figure that it won't be long before I go to a straight razor. Anyone have any experience with the 3 piece travel Merkur's, like the 985?

In case anyone else is thinking about it, I dealt with Leesrazors.com. Lee was very friendly and helpful, and had free shipping as well.

What does one mean by "Wetshaving"?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    What does one mean by "Wetshaving"?
    From badgerandblade.com

Wet shaving at its simplest, is just that – shaving with water, a razor blade, and some sort of lubricant (lather, soap, etc.) on your face. Men have shaved this way for centuries, starting early on with a sharp knife or stone, progressing to the straight razor, safety (double-edge) razors, and eventually cartridge razors from companies like Gillette, etc.
    Versus "dry shaving" with an electric razor I believe.

I think Irish is correct, in which case I used the wrong term. I've been shaving with a blade for my whole life, but am now about to switch to a double edge, more classic style, rather than the disposable 3 and 4 blade monstrosities. If it really doesn't work for me, I guess I'll hang on to said monstrosities.
    Last edited by SLG; 03-27-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: got rid of jargon

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I've been researching wetshaving since reading this thread, and have decided to scrap my Mach3 in favor of a Merkur 38C. Even if it doesn't work as well (which I doubt), the idea appeals to me much more, and I figure that it won't be long before I go to a straight razor. Anyone have any experience with the 3 piece travel Merkur's, like the 985?

In case anyone else is thinking about it, I dealt with Leesrazors.com. Lee was very friendly and helpful, and had free shipping as well.
    I'm interested to hear your feedback from your dealings here. I've bought all my stuff from local retailers, but have been looking for a good online shop. Thanks.

Something I've found very VERY helpful in increasing the closeness of the shave-an exfoliating cleanser in the shower, or right before you shave. It pulls the whiskers off the face and really makes a difference.

I use the St. Ives apricot stuff.

User Tag List