Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight & safety razor shaving

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Do you guys generally shave before or after you shower?
    After.

I soak my soap puck and brush and I put my Gillette Fat Boy in Barbicide while I take my cool to cold shower.

I shave first. If I cut myself, I have that time in the shower to help stop the bleeding.

In years past, I've noticed a guy or two at work every now and then with shave cream up around their ears. I always assumed they were shower first, shave second folks.

Site Supporter
    30 Day Check Up.

Still quite happy with the Henson Mild and Astra SP matchup.

I wert ahead and used the tuck (pkg of 5) RK Blades that came with the razor on a one and done (just one shave, then discard ) basis.

While the RKs provided a solid shave, the Astra SPs are superior in every way. The take -a -way from the RKs though is that I am continuing the one and done use pattern with the Astra SPs.

1. At .09 a piece, cost is not an issue
    2. For me, at shave 3, the blade is clearly not as sharp as shave 1
    3. One and done makes keeping track of shaves per blade a non issue
    4. One and done means I take apart and clean/dry the razor after every shave
    5. Such a use pattern also has me using a Henson Travel Razor Cover and Rockwell Blade Bank

Blades 8.99
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QY8QXM...roduct_details

Cover 14.99 though presently sold out
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CN7YP4KZ...roduct_details

Blade bank 4.99
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778NC6Z9...roduct_details
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

After. The hot water softens your beard hairs and makes them easier to cut. This is why the barber shop puts a hot towel on your face before doing a straight shave.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I shave first. If I cut myself, I have that time in the shower to help stop the bleeding.

In years past, I've noticed a guy or two at work every now and then with shave cream up around their ears. I always assumed they were shower first, shave second folks.
    Your first concern can be addressed by a stypic pencil. Most drug stores still sell them for a couple bucks.

The second concern can be addressed by a towel. Just wipe around your ears when you dry your face after rinsing the shaving cream off. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this out; I used to get zits just under my ears in my late teens before I started wiping under them.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Your first concern can be addressed by a stypic pencil. Most drug stores still sell them for a couple bucks.

The second concern can be addressed by a towel. Just wipe around your ears when you dry your face after rinsing the shaving cream off. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this out; I used to get zits just under my ears in my late teens before I started wiping under them.
    I have styptic pencil. My goal is to not use it. I'm a daily shaver in my mid-60's. I'm probably not going to change my technique now as I've tried both and figured out what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    After. The hot water softens your beard hairs and makes them easier to cut. This is why the barber shop puts a hot towel on your face before doing a straight shave.
    That is the book recommendation, and I did give that a go for some period of time, but found it didn't work, for me.

I wash my face first, shave, then shower.

Site Supporter
    First try with my Christmas RazoRock MJ-90 and Astra SP blade.
    I usually shave in the shower, so I figured I'd just do that.
    Warned Wife not to ignore any pleas for help, in case I cut something important.

Overall an excellent shave with zero drama.
    Started out shaving down a cheek. Felt the weight of the razor, but zero pulling. Honestly, I thought I just missed the angle until I looked and touched it to feel nothing but smooth skin. I eventually braved my usual up-stroke with similarly zero drama. No pulling, no cuts, just a great, close shave.

I took maybe 2x the time to shave than usual, mostly just being careful and trying a few different angles. About half way through I realized I had two edges and started flipping over before rinsing, so, that sped things up... lol..

Results... excellent close shave, much better results around the neck and under the nose vs my usual 3-blade Schick disposable. Zero cuts and after applying my usual aftershave, absolutely no irritation. I'm convinced this is the way forward.

Just need to pick up a cover for it, but, I may just try doing the single use and toss... at $0.08/blade, why not?

Next question....
    I still don't understand the need for a brush and shave soap (vs my usual gel). Sure, if you have a bit of beard going and want to stand it up, I get that, but, for a day or two of shadow or stubble, what's the gain from using brushed-on shave cream?

Cheers!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Next question....
    I still don't understand the need for a brush and shave soap (vs my usual gel). Sure, if you have a bit of beard going and want to stand it up, I get that, but, for a day or two of shadow or stubble, what's the gain from using brushed-on shave cream?

Cheers!
    I get two things out of shave cream/gel/soap, cushioning and lubrication/slickness. For me, Shave gel (assuming you are talking about Edge Gel or something similar) is pretty good at the cushioning part, but I've found most shave soaps provide more lubrication. I've even used Ivory soap bars with a shave brush and that is slicker than shave gel.

Everybody has their favorites, though. If you like the gel, you're probably not missing that much.

Next question....

Cheers!
    Some folks, like me, don't get along with canned foam or gel. I don't know what ingredient causes it but those products tend to dry my skin like crazy. Even the ones with aloe or some other moisturizing component. A decent soap or cream doesn't do that to me. FWIW, I use plain old Palmolive cream and have not had any issues. In my part of the world, I can get it for under $3 per tube and a tube lasts me three months.

Site Supporter
    First try with my Christmas RazoRock MJ-90 and Astra SP blade.

Next question....

Cheers!
    I've enjoyed experimenting, except for trying a second shave on the same blade... that was not fun. One and done for me going forward. I picked up a low price, good-reviews, badger brush and a tube of Proraso (wool fat was sold out at Amazon). Actually tried to make the Proraso foamy using just my hands... fail. Brush, cup, 10 seconds, half as much cream, perfect. Do like being able to brush on some fresh foam if there's a spot that needs a second pass. Can't remember the last time I shaved on Sunday... Wife appreciates the close shave.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List