Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight & safety razor shaving

Straight & safety razor shaving

How many of y'all use a straight razor? I've been a convert for about six months and I'm more then pleased with the results.

It started as a curiosity-I went to an old fashioned barber for the works, and really enjoyed it. I also got something completely unexpected- completely clear skin. I've had shitty acne since I was about fifteen and after trying everything under the sun, all it took was a change in shaving tools.

Although the initial investment is decent sized, I figured out it would pay for itself in replacement blades for the 5 bladed thing I used before in about 16 months.

It's also a much more satisfying experience, I genuinely look forward to shaving now. The learning curve for me was short, after about 6 shaves I wasn't cutting myself anymore, and have gotten quite handy with the blade.

Anyone else using the old cut throat?

Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Do you have a F$%#^& death wish?!?!?! Just kidding of course.

I don't use a straight razor, but I do use my Dad's old Gillette Slim - probably going on 10 years now. I would never go back to an electric-EVER-and I can't imagine why anyone ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Do you have a F$%#^& death wish?!?!?! Just kidding of course.

I don't use a straight razor, but I do use my Dad's old Gillette Slim - probably going on 10 years now. I would never go back to an electric-EVER-and I can't imagine why anyone ever did.
    Hahaha. I figure if I can jam a loaded handgun down the front of my pants at one of the largest arteries in my body, the large razor near the two in my neck is relatively mild.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Hahaha. I figure if I can jam a loaded handgun down the front of my pants at one of the largest arteries in my body, the large razor near the two in my neck is relatively mild.
    Bet you're the kind of guy who carries scissors to go jogging too, eh?

My only experience with a straight razor is getting a haircut from an older barber who used one to shave the back of the neck, while my usual guy was out of town. It was all well and good except his hand shook like crazy. Seeing that shaky hand come at you with a blade was kind of freaky! As soon as he got close though he was steady as a rock though...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

When I go to the barber, I always get a shave with a straight razor. Nothing shaves quite as close. I'm too bloody scared to try it myself.

My Philishave does a fair job but hey, you can't use a cut-throat razor while you're driving!

One of my favorite pastimes! I've been shaving with a straight razor for 15 years. I fell in love with it just out of college. The objective reasoning is that you get better results: a smoother shave, less irritation, and much more control for those high concept sculptures-in-whisker. And while it can take longer to shave a day's stubble, it's a lot easier when chopping off a month's mane.

Still, the subjective reasons are much more important to me. I mean, there's something bad ass about shaving with something that can cut your friggin' head off. More importantly, though, it takes a mundane chore and turns it into a peaceful ritual that requires my full attention. It's like my morning meditation.

Also keep in mind that you really have to take care of the blade. Make sure you dry it well after each shave - I've ruined a couple of blades through laziness this way. Speaking of which, I got a new blade recently, and it's at the point where it needs a good honing.

Don't know if you've seen it, but there's a great overview of all the things to consider at http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads...azor-Shave.pdf

Enjoy your new Zen-compatible shaving ritual!

I tried the straights, but I'm so strongly left-handed for that sort of thing that I couldn't get a clean shave all around. That, and *keeping* them shaving sharp - I *suck* at sharpening.

So, I do the brush-and-blade with a Slant Bar and either Personna Red or Feather blades.
    Mike

I've seen the PDF. Thanks Mario.

It really is Zen like.

I haven't tried a straight razor yet. I switched from cartridge to DE/Brush last year, and haven't looked back.

User Tag List