Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight & safety razor shaving

I started with Proraso and it keeps being awesome.

In the summer, a shave with Proraso and then a splash of Osage Rub is a great way to freeze your face on a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've enjoyed experimenting, except for trying a second shave on the same blade... that was not fun. One and done for me going forward. I picked up a low price, good-reviews, badger brush and a tube of Proraso (wool fat was sold out at Amazon). Actually tried to make the Proraso foamy using just my hands... fail. Brush, cup, 10 seconds, half as much cream, perfect. Do like being able to brush on some fresh foam if there's a spot that needs a second pass. Can't remember the last time I shaved on Sunday... Wife appreciates the close shave.
    I face lather with a brush and MWF. I get the best lather with that combo but there is a learning curve and water softness does matter.

Wool Fat can give folks fits. I always found that soaking the puck overnight when it’s unwrapped works well.

Gillette slim from the 70s with feathers here. Warm towel, oil, cream, shave. Shower after I shave.

I've been safety razor shaving my neck and cheeks around my beard since 2015. That whole time, I've been successfully using a Merkur 33c, Proraso tubes, and various different blades (mostly Persona lab blues, Feathers, and some Astra Platinums with random samplers of other stuff thrown in). Recently, no matter what I try for blades, I am getting much worse skin irritation and razor burn than ever. I've tried more intensely focusing on technique and that hasn't solved the problem.

I just did a first shave with a Leaf Twig and that helped a lot (I've been using their standard Leaf razor for my head and finally got that working very well, thanks to some advice in another thread here). It's not at all the same thing as a DE and won't scratch the "hobby" itch for a lot of people, but it may be the ticket for someone who's just shaving around a beard and only wants to do that well and economically. I don't need the smoothest shave for that. Both Leaf razors are very mild, but work extremely well with Feathers. I think the mild razor/sharp blade may be my combo.

What I could still use some improvement on is lather. The Proraso is OK, but I think I could do a lot better. Does anyone have a tube shave cream they'd recommend over it? Alternatively, what is the easy button for brush and soap? I have no problem putting time into the routine and money into supplies but I don't really have the ability to spend time "tinkering."

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post

What I could still use some improvement on is lather. The Proraso is OK, but I think I could do a lot better. Does anyone have a tube shave cream they'd recommend over it? Alternatively, what is the easy button for brush and soap? I have no problem putting time into the routine and money into supplies but I don't really have the ability to spend time "tinkering."
    I'm not a big fan of tube cream, but have used Cremo. I have a tube sitting around for travel use. It's OK, but I prefer shave soaps if I'm using a brush. Cremo is easily found in most drug and grocery stores.

I think the "easy button" for shave soaps and brush is probably Col Conk simply because they are more readily available. I've used better products, but they are not that expensive, work pretty well, and can be found in a variety of places.

I also used to use Williams shave soaps, not because I thought they were great, but because they were OK, and I could get them at the drug and grocery stores. I think they went away around Covid time, though, at least they aren't carried by my local stores anymore. I've also used bar soap, whatever soap you like, I'd usually use Ivory, as it wasn't too harsh and the smell was semi-neutral. I'd take a potato peeler and shave a bar of soap down into a shaving mug. Then I'd put a little water in the mug overnight to get the soap shavings to stick together to create a puck, and then use that.

Site Supporter
    My strategies to avoid irritation. YMMV greatly. This is at least as much art as science as everybody is different.

1. Washing my face well with a face friendly soap. I got some fancy Clinique stuff for Xmas but I suspect anything from Neutrogena, CeraVe or Aveeno would be solid proof of concept.

2. I shave every other day for formal settings (individual dependent given growth I know.) I now use blades on a one and done basis to eliminate that variable. I am also no longer chasing BBS results along my jawline and neck in the course of my 3 pass shave. A Damn Fine Shave (DFS) is just fine.

3. I use a pre shave oil, historically Art of Shaving though I I have some Henna Guys on order.
    https://www.amazon.com/Unscented-Exc.../dp/B01MS4LGL9

4. I have always had excellent luck with the lather using TOBS for sensitive skin. IMHO, Tub Creams last far longer than comparable "weight" of those found in tubes.
    https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Old-Bo...y%2C326&sr=1-7,

5. This bowl, with its fins, really does make a great lather. Upside, it is unbreakable. Downside, it does not keep the lather as hot as something that is not made out of polymer i.e. ceramic, metal etc.

https://www.amazon.com/TIMELESS-RAZO...zcF9tdGY&psc=1

5A This badger brush has been my go to since 2015. Still going strong sub 20USD

6. Post shave use of balm/moisturizer. See brands in #1 and include Nivea as well.

If the above changes do not work, perhaps a trip to a dermatologist. Life is too short to live with facial irritation post shaving in 2024.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I think the mild razor/sharp blade may be my combo.

This is essentially what I do with a Gillette Slim Adjustable adjusted to a pretty mild level and the Feathers.

I'm a big fan of Truefitt & Hill shaving cream in a bowl. I happen to like their Trafalgar scent and I find the shaving cream to be very good. It's on the more expensive side but a bowl lasts for a very long time. I bought this brush a very long time ago and I find it works extremely well with the Truefitt & Hill shaving cream.

I've suffered bad razor burn my whole life. It is actually why I have always used double or single blade cartridges.

Lately, I too have been getting more razor burn, but I attribute it to slightly more sensitive skin in the winter. If I can shave right after a hot shower that is ideal. But I usually shower in the morning and shave in the evening.

I am using Barberry Coast products these days, facial scrub, body wash, pre-shave oil/beard oil, and after shave (all Bay Rum).

My routine:

1) Get the water HOT, HOT, HOT. Soak a portion of my towel, wring it out, and apply to my face and neck.

2) Apply pre-shave oil. Especially to my neck where I get the most irritation. Wait about 3-5 min.

3) Apply shaving cream - I use Fendrihan's Bergamont shave cream, which is the Dapper Dan of shaving creams. A dab and some brushing will really do it. I make sure to really brush the cream vigorously into my neck line, using the bristles to brush up under the grain.

4) Now the shave. Again with very hot water, I put the razor under it. Pull it out and go straight for a swipe. After each swipe returning the razor to the piping hot water. The razor should be warm enough to be almost uncomfortable touching my skin.

5) A normal shave for me is: With the grain cheeks and jawline, turn the razor around and go against the grain neck line. Then relather with cream and quick swipes with the grain on the neck and against the grain cheeks and jaw. Inspect for any spots I want to further address.

6) Towel once again in the water, hot, hot, hot apply it to face and neck and clean away any remaining shaving cream.

7) liberal splash of after shave on the checks and neck and pre-shave oil is also a fine beard oil for my goatee and mustache.

--

Merkur mild safety + Feather Black blades I do two shaves per blade. I use one edge on my cheeks, one edge on my neck. After the shave I flip the blade over or discard it. I found 3-4 shaves the blades were dulling too much and my neck was getting worse.

For me, the hot face/oil/aftershave each helped. But the real trick came from the getting the razor head hot as hell. That brought the shave around for me.

Site Supporter
    Rob I was a lot like you in that I would use a good blade i.e. Astra SP or a Feather for 3 pass shaves, no more than 2 or 3x times and drive on.

Since I acquired the Henson Mild, I am all in on the one and done method. It is simply one less thing for me to keep track of.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    5. This bowl, with its fins, really does make a great lather. Upside, it is unbreakable. Downside, it does not keep the lather as hot as something that is not made out of polymer i.e. ceramic, metal etc.

5A This badger brush has been my go to since 2015. Still going strong sub 20USD

Cool bowl!

I think you double clutched on the brush link.
    If you have a sec, I'd be interested in seeing what you are liking.

TIA.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List