Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast

Thread: Straight & safety razor shaving

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I have had at least two variations of that mirror. In the end, I found shaving at the sink or in the tub a far better experience than fighting fog in the shower.

For me, shaving at the sink gives me the best results re seeing what i need to see, hearing what I need to hear and having the “room” to stretch my skin.
    I am slowly coming around to this point of view...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Added to my cart. I've been meaning to replace my current shower mirror as it's a couple years old and due. Hard water in IN has taught me to treat all shower mirrors as disposable. As for the fogging, I use the shower wand to rinse it off as necessary during my shave.

When I was a very young child, there was a family that basically ran an unlicensed daycare and pretty much every family in that small town used their services at some point. At 55, I can still smell the mildew reek of their primary bathroom. Because of that, I've installed shower wands in every shower in every house I ever lived in and well before I started shaving my head. The last act of my shower is to rinse off every surface, including the back of the curtain, which I leave mostly open while I blast a standing fan into the bathroom as I get dressed for the day. Guess it really scarred me.

Anyway, shower wands FTW!
    Ugh, mildew. I've experienced that up close several times, and it's increased my hate for hippies and hoarders.

Agree on the shower wand. We put one in during our master bath remodel recently. I added a quick detach fitting so we can swap the wand for a hose to spray the shower.

I guess the relatively low humidity here helps, but all I have to do with the plastic mirror is splash a bit of warm water on it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I am too lazy...shave in the shower, both face and dome, by feel.

Still trying to find a good shower clock so the Mrs doesn't get out, ask me what time it is, and panic...

pat

Site Supporter
    Is there any value in flipping a blade over after 1-2 uses?
    ("Over" = end over end, not "rotate" 180'degrees)
    It looks like the razor puts a slight bend in the blade when I assemble it... maybe flipping the blade gets me a fresher edge?
    @lwt16 was nice enough to send me a few Feather blades to try out (THANKS!!) ... I was one-and-done with Astra, hoping for more shaves with the Feather... So far, so good... But... On the 3rd shave I had a bit of irritation (neck).... Prior to the 4th shave, as an experiment, I flipped the blade over and had another great shave with no irritation.

Coincidence? Moon phase? #headscratch
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Interesting. I am finding even with Feathers that I'm probably better off with two uses than three, at least on the ones doing the hard work of shaving my head (that's still a lot of hair, even if I'm entirely bald on the very top).

Site Supporter
    Just join the one and done club.

1. One less thing in life to keep track off
    2. The one time you push a blade one more time will be the time that “dull” blade bites you and you bleed on a white shirt 47 minute before court.

I am all in on Astra SPs at .10 per max.

YMMV greatly.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Is there any value in flipping a blade over after 1-2 uses?
    ("Over" = end over end, not "rotate" 180'degrees)
    It looks like the razor puts a slight bend in the blade when I assemble it... maybe flipping the blade gets me a fresher edge?
    @lwt16 was nice enough to send me a few Feather blades to try out (THANKS!!) ... I was one-and-done with Astra, hoping for more shaves with the Feather... So far, so good... But... On the 3rd shave I had a bit of irritation (neck).... Prior to the 4th shave, as an experiment, I flipped the blade over and had another great shave with no irritation.

Coincidence? Moon phase? #headscratch
    If it works, roll with it. Palm stropping blades used to be a thing on Badger&Blade.

I’ve found over the years that I can get a solid week per blade. IF and only if I

1. Face lather with MWF
    2. Ice cold water to rinse post shave.
    3. Alcohol based aftershave splash (Fine Platinum or Orange Noir)

Zero irritation. I do 3 passes as well as some clean up buffing.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Sidebar: For those of you wet shaving in your shower, what shower mirror are you using? I still haven't found one that doesn't fog up immediately and make it impossible to see.
    In the end, I found shaving at the sink or in the tub a far better experience than fighting fog in the shower.

For me, shaving at the sink gives me the best results re seeing what i need to see, hearing what I need to hear and having the “room” to stretch my skin.
    I bought a $5 shower mirror at WallyWorld to experiment with. Fogging wasn't such an issue, but the wet mirror was like looking out a windshield with inoperable wipers. One try was enough, and I'm with @vcdgrips on this.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

In the mass market realm, I have never used a neiva product that did not perform well past the intersection of quality and value, particularly their locations and after shave balms.
    This right here is gold!

I'm currently jumping into the shower first, then wet shaving with Nivea gel shaving cream (far better than the Gillette stuff!) and the Nivea aftershave. I've gone to their body wash and roll-on deodorant, and will add shampoo, as well.

I'm next going to try the Henson and DE blades.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Name:  IMG_8885.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  23.7 KB

Haven’t seen Nivea shaving cream in the tube in some years but it was great stuff when combined with a badger brush and bowl lathering. I thought it was as good as Proraso with a lighter scent.

User Tag List