Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight & safety razor shaving

For anyone looking to get into straight razors, Larry and whipped dog shaving is a great guy. I have no affiliation with him, but I just got a sight unseen straight and it was a great way to dip my toe into the pool so to speak. Very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Necro-Post Jumpstart with the advent of the Holiday season- The Henson Mild Shaver

https://hensonshaving.com/products/h...craft-aluminum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k29Fhyu9qNY

Executive Summary- I am sold on the product

Ramble follows:

Well into my 40's, I was an agnostic shaver. Norelco electric, Reminton Electric, Bic disposable, Mach 3, Fusion etc. Gave little care for product or face prep.

I came across a couple of Schick "G" injectors at my mom's house (TG 2011 or 2012) and was introduced to "wet shaving." I even got the local grocery store to stock schick injector blades. Simultaneously, I realized that the cost of Mach 3/Fusion cartridges relative to injectors was significant.

Great shaves though cuts and weepers were always in play. This played havoc on more than one white dress shirt.

I then started down the road of DE shaving. A Schick Krona, a few simple birth year Gillettes and a blade sample pack later, I ultimately settled on the Krona with Astra SPs finding them delivering 95+% of the shave of a Feather with less cuts/weepers/irritation.

I then dabbled with Harry's liking the marketing and the travel friendliness. I then pivoted to Dollar Shave Club with COVID and a June 20 Father's Day Gift Certificate from the kids. 90% of a DE shave with 90% less cuts weeper when I prepped well with quality products and did a 3 pass shave. DSC was my razor 95% of the time.

When I used DE, I had to be careful or I would get a weeper or 2.

As I eschewed all things made in the PRC, I was recently taken by Henson and their all Canada pedigree.

I ordered up a "Federal Blue" Mild and the rest is history.

1. I find the razor to be very simple to use. When loaded with the Astra SPs. A DFS with ease, BBS on checks, still working on technique re neck and jawline. I can easily shave every other day and could go every third day absent court or a dress up event. I concur that if you use just a bit of care, it would be difficult to really cut yourself relative to an injector.

2. Given the mixed reviews of the included RK blades, I am inclined to simply stick with the AstrasSP as I find them to be a REALLY GOOD AND FORGIVING BLADE.

3. I strongly suspect that I will get a second razor in mild as well, a stand and close the loop on DE shaving.

4. I am endeavoring to consolidate my life in all things. I am identifying quality brands/items, I am buying them and selling/giving away previous iterations (i.e. I have sold all other razors except the "heirloom" injectors and the Krona)

5. Henson Mild is like the Glock 19 of the Razor world
    a. Far exceeds the intersection of quality/performance/value
    b. For the vast majority of folks, they work and work exceedingly well.
    c. My hardware "problem" is therefore solved, freeing my mind to handle any software issues.

Razor- Henson AL13-Mild
    Blade-Astra SP
    Pre Shave Oil- Art of Shaving (It just works. I acknowledge that it is expensive for what it is relative to almond and other oils available at health food stores that likely work as well.)
    Brush Cream- TOBS for Sensitive Skin
    Tube Cream -Dollar Shave Club Shave Butter or Trader Joe's though I suspect any quality tube cream works well i.e. Proraso, Clinique, Kiehl's, Cremo etc. When it doubt, use some more.
    Post Shave- Neiva After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin

Happy Wet Shaving, brothers and sisters all.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

RazoRock Game Changer 0.68 open comb.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I've been using a Merkur 34C since 2005. Couldn't be happier. I've played around with other razors from time to time, but always return to the 34C.

I've found Cremo Cream to be my favorite shaving cream. I've given up using brushes and after shaves as well. I use a moisturizer after shaving, either CeraVe or Cetaphil.

My favorite blades remain the Russian Polsilver/Super Iridium, followed by Personna or Astra SP's. I have a few sleeves of Derby blades also, which are perfectly serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Necro-Post Jumpstart with the advent of the Holiday season- The Henson Mild Shaver

https://hensonshaving.com/products/h...craft-aluminum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k29Fhyu9qNY

Executive Summary- I am sold on the product

Ramble follows:

Well into my 40's, I was an agnostic shaver. Norelco electric, Reminton Electric, Bic disposable, Mach 3, Fusion etc. Gave little care for product or face prep.

I came across a couple of Schick "G" injectors at my mom's house (TG 2011 or 2012) and was introduced to "wet shaving." I even got the local grocery store to stock schick injector blades. Simultaneously, I realized that the cost of Mach 3/Fusion cartridges relative to injectors was significant.

Great shaves though cuts and weepers were always in play. This played havoc on more than one white dress shirt.

I then started down the road of DE shaving. A Schick Krona, a few simple birth year Gillettes and a blade sample pack later, I ultimately settled on the Krona with Astra SPs finding them delivering 95+% of the shave of a Feather with less cuts/weepers/irritation.

I then dabbled with Harry's liking the marketing and the travel friendliness. I then pivoted to Dollar Shave Club with COVID and a June 20 Father's Day Gift Certificate from the kids. 90% of a DE shave with 90% less cuts weeper when I prepped well with quality products and did a 3 pass shave. DSC was my razor 95% of the time.

When I used DE, I had to be careful or I would get a weeper or 2.

As I eschewed all things made in the PRC, I was recently taken by Henson and their all Canada pedigree.

I ordered up a "Federal Blue" Mild and the rest is history.

1. I find the razor to be very simple to use. When loaded with the Astra SPs. A DFS with ease, BBS on checks, still working on technique re neck and jawline. I can easily shave every other day and could go every third day absent court or a dress up event. I concur that if you use just a bit of care, it would be difficult to really cut yourself relative to an injector.

2. Given the mixed reviews of the included RK blades, I am inclined to simply stick with the AstrasSP as I find them to be a REALLY GOOD AND FORGIVING BLADE.

3. I strongly suspect that I will get a second razor in mild as well, a stand and close the loop on DE shaving.

4. I am endeavoring to consolidate my life in all things. I am identifying quality brands/items, I am buying them and selling/giving away previous iterations (i.e. I have sold all other razors except the "heirloom" injectors and the Krona)

5. Henson Mild is like the Glock 19 of the Razor world
    a. Far exceeds the intersection of quality/performance/value
    b. For the vast majority of folks, they work and work exceedingly well.
    c. My hardware "problem" is therefore solved, freeing my mind to handle any software issues.

Razor- Henson AL13-Mild
    Blade-Astra SP
    Pre Shave Oil- Art of Shaving (It just works. I acknowledge that it is expensive for what it is relative to almond and other oils available at health food stores that likely work as well.)
    Brush Cream- TOBS for Sensitive Skin
    Tube Cream -Dollar Shave Club Shave Butter or Trader Joe's though I suspect any quality tube cream works well i.e. Proraso, Clinique, Kiehl's, Cremo etc. When it doubt, use some more.
    Post Shave- Neiva After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin

Happy Wet Shaving, brothers and sisters all.
    I have a Karve Overlander which I have read is very similar to the Henson. Given Henson's 30-day trial period (or at least they had that the last time I looked) - I've been meaning to try one but I've been a bit lazy. Glad you are enjoying it. It is definitely a great value razor!

What is everyone's go to blade?

I have been using a bulk Feather pack for quite some time.

Site Supporter
    Asta SP

90-95% as sharp as a feather, much more forgiving re nicks/cuts/weeper for me.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    What is everyone's go to blade?

I have been using a bulk Feather pack for quite some time.
    Gillette Nacet are my current favorite. I've also had good luck with Greek BIC blades. I've used Feather in the past and they cut very close, but I feel like they tore my face up a bit. The Nacets and BICs have been smoother for me.

I have a couple vintage Gillette Superspeeds that I use for shaving. I think I paid $15 on eBay in shave-ready condition. Modern DEs look cool but I'm not sure I could justify paying $50 for a modern Merkur or $70 for one of these new Henson things.

Gillette Platinum or Gillette Silver Blue. I'll have to break into my stash of nacets soon... I kind of fell away from them after I got the platinum's.

Site Supporter
    PS

You observations are spot on re the value proposition. I just took a quick cruise thru ebay and saw any number of quality Gillettes under 25 shipped. I strongly suspect you can find NOS and LNIB stuff for under 50.00.

It seems that pricing in the vintage realm has gone down a bit and supply has gone up.

I wonder if shavers are eschewing the old for the new and that explains what, admittedly, at first blush to me, it seems like an increased availability of nicer vintage razors at the under 30 realm, many under 20.

5 years ago, when I last looked looked at such stuff, it was occupied by a lot of user grade stuff. Perfectly serviceable, but often missing a bit of shine etc. Particularly, in the 10-19.99 slot.

User Tag List