Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 5in Metal Competitor

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Apologies if this has been posted. S&W emailed out this advertisement for its new 5 in barrel metal M&P. Interesting. I am actually surprised its lighter than the 4.25 model, with "lightening cuts." Interesting. Still think a steel version without "lightening cuts" would be better to compete in USPSA/IDPA CO and Production classes.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...preselect=true
    Specs
    SKU 13199
    Model PERFORMANCE CENTER™ M&P®9 M2.0™ COMPETITOR™ 17 Rounds
    Caliber 9mm Luger
    Capacity 17+1
    Optics Yes
    Length 8.25
    Front Sight Green Fiber Optic
    Rear Sight Serrated, Blacked-out
    Action Striker Fire
    Grip Interchangeable Backstrap Inserts (4)
    Barrel Material Stainless Steel with Armornite® Finish
    Slide Material Stainless Steel
    Frame Material 7075-T6 Aluminum
    Slide Finish Tungsten Gray Cerakote®
    Frame Finish Tungsten Gray Cerakote®
    Barrel Twist 1:10˝
    Barrel Length 5" (12.7 cm)
    Weight 29.0 oz.
    State Compliance

They're just trying to provide John Wick's next gun.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Makes me think I should buy up more of the current 5" guns if that snout and serrations is the direction they'll be heading.

Name:  13619-mp-OnWhite-3Q-Left.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  34.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Why can't S&W be half as smart as Canik and others that realize metal frame means steel and not alloy. Leaked pics of new Canik steel frame.
    Yup. At least when SIG came up with a heavy competition grip module, it was actually heavier than the standard one. Going from polymer, which flexes and offers some measure of recoil absorption, to aluminum, which doesn't flex and doesn't add any weight to the pistol is just ignant.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Yup. At least when SIG came up with a heavy competition grip module, it was actually heavier than the standard one. Going from polymer, which flexes and offers some measure of recoil absorption, to aluminum, which doesn't flex and doesn't add any weight to the pistol is just ignant.
    Agreed. If you are going to make a competition gun, make a competition gun. Whats the deal with lightening cuts? Are they playing a different competition than we are?

EDIT: a steel Pro version weighing 42 ounces, would be excellent, especially at a similar price point. Its not like they aren't experienced in steel guns.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 11-30-2022 at 03:35 PM.

Banned
    For people wondering why alloy over steel, the answer is money.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgivro View Post
    For people wondering why alloy over steel, the answer is money.
    That’s always the answer.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Except the frame is aluminum. Whats the advantage of aluminum over steel other than weight which is the opposite of competition gun?

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    Makes me think I should buy up more of the current 5" guns if that snout and serrations is the direction they'll be heading.
    If you want them you should probably buy up more of them before they move the production to TN. Has anyone-- Remington, Marlin, Beretta, etc.-- uprooted and moved their manufacturing resources to the Free States of the Southeast and *not* had a several year long process of getting things sorted out?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    That’s always the answer.
    Meanwhile, Taurus is having trouble getting aluminum.

I'm guessing that money isn't the answer.

My optimistic-cynical answer is that they're going to do a steel one as soon as they've sold 90% of the aluminum ones they think they'll sell.

My pessimistic-cynical answer is that Smith & Wesson doesn't have the foggiest idea what they're doing or why and doesn't much care. All they know is Glock-envy, add Hillary hole, 30 SuPeR cArRy, be publicly traded, eat hot chip, and lie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Except the frame is aluminum. Whats the advantage of aluminum over steel other than weight which is the opposite of competition gun?
    M-o-n-e-y

User Tag List