Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: K6s vs SP101 vs Steel J frame?

Are you pocket carrying or on the belt?
    I think k frames snubs are awesome but if you're looking for a gun for pocket carry the I'm not sure the k frame is small enough.

I'd go colt det special if I wanted smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Are you pocket carrying or on the belt?
    I think k frames snubs are awesome but if you're looking for a gun for pocket carry the I'm not sure the k frame is small enough.

I'd go colt det special if I wanted smaller.
    I pocket carry because of pain issues that are triggered with IWB & grip touching ribs/back trigger debilitating pain, like stuck in bed for day or two pain.

I can wear low ride type duty holsters fine as long as I keep the weight balanced, part of the reason I carry pair of G26's is the balanced weight worked better for my pain issues than one G26 and one Airweight, but low ride duty holsters not ideal for CCW.

I normally pocket carry pair of G26's with the 12 round mags, drop to 10 round flush mags if needed for certain pants, or the J frame when the G26's don't work.

I can still shoot the airweight J frame, just leaves me with severe hand pain for week+ but there are many other things that trigger severe hand pain at this point in my life.

I'm not even sure that its the recoil of the airweight, it might just be the level of grip needed that's triggering the pain based on the non gun things that trigger the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I pocket carry because of pain issues that are triggered with IWB & grip touching ribs/back trigger debilitating pain, like stuck in bed for day or two pain.

I can wear low ride type duty holsters fine as long as I keep the weight balanced, part of the reason I carry pair of G26's is the balanced weight worked better for my pain issues than one G26 and one Airweight, but low ride duty holsters not ideal for CCW.

I normally pocket carry pair of G26's with the 12 round mags, drop to 10 round flush mags if needed for certain pants, or the J frame when the G26's don't work.

I can still shoot the airweight J frame, just leaves me with severe hand pain for week+ but there are many other things that trigger severe hand pain at this point in my life.

I'm not even sure that its the recoil of the airweight, it might just be the level of grip needed that's triggering the pain based on the non gun things that trigger the problem.
    Pain from pancreatitis?

Also look at a LCR357… …perfect for 38spl , 38spl +P

Name:  EEF5EDFB-0440-4D2C-8D83-B3861F356C68.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  100.2 KB

A Taurus 856 is a option ( I like mine )
    Last edited by Buckeye63; 11-29-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Pain from pancreatitis?

Nope, some of it is from past injuries some of it is from chronic issues, and some they still aren't sure about. The doctors know what some of it is but don't really have a clue at this point on the rest.

I've had some surgeries and lots of testing. And some physical therapy & other exercises that help when I can do them.

If anyone is going to Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN I can probably help with advice on parking, hotels, and good gunshop and decent indoor range.

There is also fair outdoor range outside of town, but I don't think they allow non members there anymore.

Used to live there when I was younger and healthier, that's how I know about the Gunshop, friends with the Gunsmith there.

Also Rochester isn't terribly far from the Onalaska/La Crosse Wisconsin range that DB, Chuck Haggard & can't remember who third instructor was did class at this summer/fall. Its like ~70 minutes Interstate most of the way.

Edited to add: If your there in MN Winter there is at least one hotel that has heated basement garage, that my gf stayed at when I had overnight tests done at Mayo one winter. And pretty much all the hotels have Shuttle service to Mayo.

Also if your in downtown part of Mayo or Rochester there are a bunch of skyways and tunnel systems so you can get around on foot without going outside, think Clancy even wrote about that in one of his novels.

Reading more into your situation, I’d probably buy a 3” all steel J, or that 640 pro to practice with, and just rock on with pocket carry of the airweight Js. It’s not like an all steel understudy/practice gun and an airweight for carry is a new idea or novel solution: that particular combo has been getting it done for decades. JMO.

Now, if you *want* more wheelie variety, I am far and away the last guy to poo poo that idea.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

If you can pocket carry a pair of g26s than I think you'll be fine with any k frame

The one problem I've found with pocketing my K is that you need a really deep pocket, otherwise you'll have the bottom of the grip peeking out.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Name:  AC889B17-2630-473C-863D-6BC6F4A64288.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  46.3 KB

The excellent Model 12 has been mentioned. I love carrying mine - it is less than 22 ounces loaded. The K frame grip is actually harder to conceal in appendix mode than I anticipated, but it conceals very well between 3:00 and 4:30 in a leather belt clip IWB holster.

The trigger on the 12 is superb. This one is my first airweight K frame. It is not terribly easy to shoot with heavy loads - with wadcutters or light hand loads - no worries. I thought the bigger grip of the K frame would make it easier to shoot heavier loads compared to an airweight j frame, but that was not as true as I thought. Still, superb weapon, finely crafted.

For a real shooter I would probably pick a SP101 or a steel J frame like a 60 or 640. The extra ounces make a big difference in my opinion, and the modern steel frames will be durable and resistant to rust.

A 640 for range and 642 in the pocket would be a great pair. I think that idea has been floated in this great thread.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Reading more into your situation, I’d probably buy a 3” all steel J, or that 640 pro to practice with, and just rock on with pocket carry of the airweight Js. It’s not like an all steel understudy/practice gun and an airweight for carry is a new idea or novel solution: that particular combo has been getting it done for decades. JMO.

Now, if you *want* more wheelie variety, I am far and away the last guy to poo poo that idea.
    Yeah I'd be okay with that, and honestly most of the time when I carry J frame instead of G26 its the size/shape not the weight that's the reason.

If I stick with J frame, even if I go to 3" grips I have and one of the holsters I have would work.

There was a time when reasonably priced 3" J frames filled the gunshop cases, and like an utter idiot, I didn't buy one back then.

Idiot!!!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List