Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K6s vs SP101 vs Steel J frame?

K6s vs SP101 vs Steel J frame?

I've had an airweight J frame forever but age and health issues are making even light practice loads painful so looking for something roughly similar in size that is heavier.

I'm not adverse to trying a Colt, but only Colt Revolver I've shot much was buddy's Anaconda many years ago I liked that a lot. I've handled a couple of used Pythons but their triggers just felt off to me, probably to many years with J & N frame triggers.

Just looking for a 2" to 2.5" 38/357 probably K frame snub at biggest.

I've handled but not shot K6s and liked them just not sure about reliability and durability.

I've don't like Ruger Security Six, my dad still has one and I had one for few years but traded it for something else. I do like SP101, GP100, and SRH.

I really like J & N frames, unlikely to get rid of those even if I can't shoot them like i used to.

Site Supporter
    My Airweight practice loads are 105gr moly coated lead over 2.5-2.7gr BE. They are like a mouse fart, and I can happily shoot them from an airweight or steel gun all day.

My steel J is a 60-9 Ladysmith, supposedly chambered in .357. I wouldn’t know for sure, since I never intend to shoot a .357 through it. It works well as a steel practice gun, or as an IWB belt gun with an airweight in the pocket or on the ankle.

For what you are doing, I would get an SP101 or a steel J, and/or maybe a similar .22.

You mentioned a Colt, so I have to tell there is always a 2” Colt King Cobra Carry in my pocket. It’s well built, and can handle .357 magnum loads. I had originally bought the 3” King Cobra, but my son has that now. The 2” is just perfect for me.

I think the K6S is worth the money. Incredibly sweet action right out of the box and you have options for changing sights. I have +700 rounds through mine. I haven't been shooting it very much since small pistol primers have become impossible to find. It will handle 357 mag +P rounds without causing me tears or blood with the factory Kimber rubber grip. I've mostly shot my handloads 158gr SWC over Titegroup through it.

I’ve owned all of them: SP101/SPNY, 3 new Colt Cobras, a K6s… what I have left now are 4 all-steel J-frames. I really like the S&W 640 Pro, in particular. Lots of info/reviews on that gun out there.

That said, I’d have no problem with a current production K6s or a Colt Night cobra, either—those were fine. The SP is great, but old school; for the same size and weight, you can get a 6th round from 3 other makers (K6s, Colt Cobra, Taurus executive).

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I own a 640 and a King Cobra 3". It's hard to beat the King Cobra for a primary since it falls in-between a J and K frame S&W in size. My King Cobra is far easier to shoot than my 640 but the 640 trumps everything when it comes to ease of carry. If you are looking for something a bit more robust in terms of recoil mitigation, I do not feel that the K6S is going to get you to where you need to be.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I've had an airweight J frame forever but age and health issues are making even light practice loads painful so looking for something roughly similar in size that is heavier.
    People who have fired my DAO SP101 all agree that it is a very a very comfortable snubby to shoot, particularly when compared to something like a 642. I have yet to find anything in its class that is equally "controllable."
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

If K frame is on the table, and you're willing to chance used, the S&W Model 12, round butt, 2", has a lot to recommend it. Slightly lighter than a traditional steel frame J, a good bit lighter than the J magnums. Six shots. Decent concealibility though not so much as a J frame. The full grip, with a grip adaptor, does a lot to mitigate recoil. Trade offs are standard pressure only recommended and they tend to be a bit more fragile than the all steel steel equivalents. At least for me, they hit the sweet spot.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Stick with the J. An all steel 3” 60 (23.2oz) with the new hogue 6000’s would be pretty tame with standard pressure 38’s.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/grips...monogrip-black

The Centennial version is pretty awesome.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/grips...mer-grip-black
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Spent a year and a couple thousand dollars sorting out the same problem in 2018-19. Purchased a K6 2" with night sights, a Smith 640 Pro and a new Colt Cobra 2" 38. Spent many hours at the range sorting out the strengths of each firearm, compared to the other for MY USE! (time available due to retirement)

Outcome: Loved the Colt for the Hogue grip and liked the trigger, wanted the sixth shot which the Colt has. K6 was utterly reliable and the sweetest DA trigger I can remember in over 50 years of handgunning, and the Smith just had the cool factor, accurate, loved the sights but gun did not shoot to the sights.

What do I carry today for EDC: Colt Night Cobra, with VZ grip. Only downside is the night sight could be a tad bigger and brighter. Great carry piece. Hogue rubber from the King Cobra works well on the NC also. Second choice is the K6. I would kept the K6 but grip selection at the time of testing was poor. I hear there are better grips out there now for the K6. Renting guns is a cheap way to figure out what you like.
    38+P is enough cartridge for the job.

Last edited by Zeke38; 11-29-2022 at 12:14 PM.

User Tag List