Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: K6s vs SP101 vs Steel J frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The one problem I've found with pocketing my K is that you need a really deep pocket, otherwise you'll have the bottom of the grip peeking out.
    Pockets are pretty easy to have altered for depth, that's something I've done in past.

I certainly like K frames, if I'd started with K frame for CCW instead of J frames I probably wouldn't have felt need for the Glocks. The 3" K frame is sort of rough equivalent to the small Glock 9's functionally not literally.. A 3" K frame or G19 served much the same nich, and a 2" or 2.5" kinda matches a G26 with a 10 round or 12 round mag IMHO.

Before my pain issues I was very much revolver and pump 12 gauge person.

Even now if it wasn't for the pain issues I'd be very happy with @Mike Pipes approach to CCW, a pair of J frames for each hand plus a spare

There was a time when reasonably priced 3" J frames filled the gunshop cases, and like an utter idiot, I didn't buy one back then.

Idiot!!!
    "Steeempy! You Eeediot!"

Yeah, I sympathize there. Several friends I introduced to revolver shooting found 3" pinned-barrel model 36s in the early 90s and still own them. I would have done well to do likewise.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by 42Willys View Post
    Attachment 97832

The excellent Model 12 has been mentioned. I love carrying mine - it is less than 22 ounces loaded. The K frame grip is actually harder to conceal in appendix mode than I anticipated, but it conceals very well between 3:00 and 4:30 in a leather belt clip IWB holster.

The trigger on the 12 is superb. This one is my first airweight K frame. It is not terribly easy to shoot with heavy loads - with wadcutters or light hand loads - no worries. I thought the bigger grip of the K frame would make it easier to shoot heavier loads compared to an airweight j frame, but that was not as true as I thought. Still, superb weapon, finely crafted.

For a real shooter I would probably pick a SP101 or a steel J frame like a 60 or 640. The extra ounces make a big difference in my opinion, and the modern steel frames will be durable and resistant to rust.

A 640 for range and 642 in the pocket would be a great pair. I think that idea has been floated in this great thread.

Cheers.
    I've drooled over Model 12 at least once in Cabela's is it called Gun Library? Been while since I was in a Cabelas's, whatever the section of the store with the truly interesting guns in vs all the modern production guns.

I just couldn't convince myself that it was smart or good thing to do, I could get 2 maybe 3 J frames on sale for price of one Model 12, not to mention the collector aspect of the Model 12 and I'd have probably worn it out if I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by 42Willys View Post
    Attachment 97832

The excellent Model 12 has been mentioned. I love carrying mine - it is less than 22 ounces loaded. The K frame grip is actually harder to conceal in appendix mode than I anticipated, but it conceals very well between 3:00 and 4:30 in a leather belt clip IWB holster.

The trigger on the 12 is superb. This one is my first airweight K frame. It is not terribly easy to shoot with heavy loads - with wadcutters or light hand loads - no worries. I thought the bigger grip of the K frame would make it easier to shoot heavier loads compared to an airweight j frame, but that was not as true as I thought. Still, superb weapon, finely crafted.

For a real shooter I would probably pick a SP101 or a steel J frame like a 60 or 640. The extra ounces make a big difference in my opinion, and the modern steel frames will be durable and resistant to rust.

A 640 for range and 642 in the pocket would be a great pair. I think that idea has been floated in this great thread.

Cheers.
    Name:  4AE40E4A-37B0-418D-8F7B-3748DA8D7E67.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  104.8 KB

My favorite revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post

Before my pain issues I was very much revolver and pump 12 gauge person.

Even now if it wasn't for the pain issues I'd be very happy with @Mike Pipes approach to CCW, a pair of J frames for each hand plus a spare
    Mike Pipes knows what’s up.

Totally tangential: almost every life-long gun guy/gal has a list of firearms they wish they had not sold. My minty model 12 snub is at the very top of an embarrassingly long, serial monogamist list. The snub 12 is a connoisseur’s dream.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Mike Pipes knows what’s up.

Totally tangential: almost every life-long gun guy/gal has a list of firearms they wish they had not sold. My minty model 12 snub is at the very top of an embarrassingly long, serial monogamist list. The snub 12 is a connoisseur’s dream.
    Along with the "Shoulda Bought" list.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Name:  4AE40E4A-37B0-418D-8F7B-3748DA8D7E67.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  104.8 KB

My favorite revolver
    They are pretty great!

I have three small snubs, and each has a place. A early 2” 640 reissue (one of the +P+ marked ones,) a 2” 442 and a 3” K2s.

Of the three, the Airweight carries beautifully but is absolutely no fun to shoot due to weight and crappy sights. The heavier 640 is better on recoil mitigation but still has those terrible sights. The K6s is soft shooting, has a great action and first class sights.

If I could only keep one it would be the K6s - but I’d fight to also keep the Airweight for those times you don’t need a gun.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Along with the "Shoulda Bought" list.
    Robertson Trading Post on gb has a few 2" model 12s. I poke around their used inventory on occasion. They seem to get a lot of interesting older S&W stuff. The 12s range from pretty rough to okay finish-wise but the description of the mechanics sounds like they're still in really good shape.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...ellers=1006271

My brief "kinda want" phase with the model 12 never got past Internet Research (tm). The thinner frame looks like it might be a problem with using a lot of standard K-frame grips? I guess you could throw a grip adapter on there and roll with it but I never got past thinking it's an $800+ "maybe" to find out I don't really like the one grip option available. I've never seen a -4 for sale which is where they presumably started using a standard width frame.

There was a time when reasonably priced 3" J frames filled the gunshop cases, and like an utter idiot, I didn't buy one back then.

Idiot!!!
    They were everywhere! Most that I saw were 3" Model 36s with square butts and just sat in cases or on listings languishing. I picked one up quite a few years ago for used HiPoint money and its just a fantastic shooting small revolver.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List