Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taylor's and Co saa clone's

Site Supporter
    Something to be aware of, if it matters to you. My understanding from the CAS folks I associate with is that current production Uberti single actions all have their version of a firing pin block, allowing "safe" carry of six rounds in the cylinder. Uberti's design has proven problematic for some, but not all. One wonders why they did this as the large part of their customer base are the CAS crowd who by rule are only allowed to load five rounds for each stage. I suspect the safety Nazi lawyers have gotten to them.

Supposedly Pietta still offers some models with the traditional "4 click" lock work but there rumors they may give in to pressure and safetize their revolvers soon. Uberti used to offer the older lock work so you could revert a newer gun back to the original design. There was such a run on those parts they frequently ran out. Last thing I read was that they were going to stop offering the older stile parts before long.

Just FYI on what I've heard and read,
    Dave

So as not to start a similar post. How are these in terms of casual use? No competition. Just a SAA for fun. Been throwing that idea around for a while and wondering what durability is like.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    So as not to start a similar post. How are these in terms of casual use? No competition. Just a SAA for fun. Been throwing that idea around for a while and wondering what durability is like.

If you know how to adjust fixed sights to zero you are OK. May be off six inches or more at 25 yards.

Last year I acquired an Uberti 1873 cattleman in 357 magnum. It is a lot of fun. The pistol runs my reloads very well. For a single action clone they’re a great value. Finish is very nice. The vaquero is also nice choice but to me they’re apples to oranges and don’t really check the same boxes. If you’re considering an Uberti just buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post

Never had one go out of time in thousands of rounds but I have been careful to only feed mine either standard pressure or reduced pressure (aka "cowboy loads") ammo. Black powder rounds are even lower pressure spikes.

There are Three springs to be concerned with that can go wrong, all leaf springs. The most problematic one for me was the "trigger bolt spring" which is a very small leaf spring under the trigger guard. What I learned was replacing it with the Heinie wire loop spring solved that forever and improved the trigger, so I had those in every one of my Uberti's and Pietta's.

These are pretty robust guns with the ammo pressures they are intended for. If you want to start shooting Elmer Keith Memorial level loads, I would say all bets are off in terms of keeping the timing. As far as the steels involved, they are GTG and you will see the Italian proof marks on every one. I don't know what their proof loads are but I am certain they are many times stouter than anything I would put in one of these guns.

My oldest Uberti, a .45ACP/45 Colt switch cylinder convertable was purchased circa 1995 and I don't even have a clue how many thousands of rounds it has down range and the timing is still just fine. It has had all new springs at least twice and is probably on its 4th or 5th set of screws but the rest of the parts are original.
    Last edited by fatdog; 12-03-2022 at 07:52 AM.

Site Supporter
    Are Rugers the only SA revolvers that have a reliable and effective drop safety mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Are Rugers the only SA revolvers that have a reliable and effective drop safety mechanism?
    Probably. I vaguely remember hearing about issues with the Uberti like @Dave T mentioned but that was a while back when it first came out and I don't know if they got it sorted out or not.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

No, the Weihrauch revolvers made in Germany, imported by EAA for a while certainly had a transfer bar mechanism. I had a pair briefly about 12 years ago, they were very strong and heavy, but the throw of the hammer was way too long, and thus they were not competitive in CAS and few people liked them. Probably fine for a range gun. Mine went down the road after less than a year trying to use them.

Look for EAA Bounty Hunter, reputedly the .44 magnum will stand up to that cartridge but I have zero first hand knowledge. Mine were the .357 variant. I could never find a gunsmith willing to work on them and improve the action.

From 6 years ago.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

The late Jeff Quinn had a quick, but positive review, of a Smokewagon. Although I doubt a steady diet of Buffalo Bore would lead to anything but frustration.

Browsing their catalog, the 9mm option looks fun… kinda.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List