Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock mag release spring too strong?

Glock mag release spring too strong?

I thought the hard-to-release mag issue on my Gen 3 26 was the stock button but after rounding off its Lego-like sharpness to save my thumb and then swapping it out for a Glock 1981 extended button, I've come to the conclusion that the spring is the culprit. Its just dang hard to push against. My G 17's is much easier. Both guns are new--the 17 has only 400 rounds thru it and the 26 hasn't seen any yet. Thoughts on reducing the 26's tension a bit? I've heard they mellow with use over time. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I thought the hard-to-release mag issue on my Gen 3 26 was the stock button but after rounding off its Lego-like sharpness to save my thumb and then swapping it out for a Glock 1981 extended button, I've come to the conclusion that the spring is the culprit. Its just dang hard to push against. My G 17's is much easier. Both guns are new--the 17 has only 400 rounds thru it and the 26 hasn't seen any yet. Thoughts on reducing the 26's tension a bit? I've heard they mellow with use over time. Thanks.
    https://rockyourglock.com/ryg-reduce...e-catch-spring

Is it stiff with the slide locked back, no magazine in? Only with a fully loaded mag, fully inserted? Are you 100% sure you've re-installed it properly? There really isn't much to the spring, it's literally a straight piece of wire. I'd be inclined to replace it with another OEM spring, before trying the above mentioned aftermarket one. The Glock 26 10rd mags are very tight fit for the 10th round, and have a lot of pressure upward on the slide from the top round when loaded to capacity and locked into the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Is it stiff with the slide locked back, no magazine in? Only with a fully loaded mag, fully inserted? Are you 100% sure you've re-installed it properly? There really isn't much to the spring, it's literally a straight piece of wire. I'd be inclined to replace it with another OEM spring, before trying the above mentioned aftermarket one. The Glock 26 10rd mags are very tight fit for the 10th round, and have a lot of pressure upward on the slide from the top round when loaded to capacity and locked into the gun.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Currently, my slide is off getting a RDS milling. However, it was hard to press when I first received the gun (with slide on from factory). The spring itself has never been removed, just the release button.

Now, I feel a stupid-self moment coming on lol...Ive only tried unloaded G26 10-round factory mags with either a Pearce base or unloaded G19 factory mags with a X-Grip sleeve--would unloaded make a difference? They drop fine empty, there's just a lot of spring tension when I push the release. BTW, I'm very new, I appreciate you guys' patience!

I personally find it nice to draw a gun and find the magazine is in it. YMMV

Currently, my slide is off getting a RDS milling. However, it was hard to press when I first received the gun (with slide on from factory). The spring itself has never been removed, just the release button.

Now, I feel a stupid-self moment coming on lol...Ive only tried unloaded G26 10-round factory mags with either a Pearce base or unloaded G19 factory mags with a X-Grip sleeve--would unloaded make a difference? They drop fine empty, there's just a lot of spring tension when I push the release. BTW, I'm very new, I appreciate you guys' patience!
    Make sure you aren’t blocking the rear of the catch with your middle finger. Like the guy above me said, unless you are having significant issues getting a mag to drop, I’d rather leave it with factory spring tensions and avoid dumping a mag accidentally.

Site Supporter

Unloaded makes a GreaT difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I personally find it nice to draw a gun and find the magazine is in it. YMMV
    This is the #1 reason I wouldn't go sticking a lighter than OEM spring in there. Particularly if you're planning on carrying it.

I personally have never experienced a Glock mag release that took much force to depress. I suppose you could have a bad OEM spring, or something else could be wrong with the frame, the catch, or the magazines (unlikely if it feels the same with all mags). If its tight with UNLOADED magazines, I suspect improper install, or out of spec parts/frame. Is the spring fully seated in the frame of the gun? Is the spring fully seated into it's notch in the magazine release?

A replacement OEM spring is in stock, and $5 from Midway USA: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004280164 Or: https://www.bigtexordnance.com/produ...pring-sp00280/ <----- 99 cents! (grab some tactical pocket sand from these guys and get your Dale Gribble on)

If its a brand new gun, a trip back to the place of purchase may be helpful, depending on their customer service, and you may be able to compare it to another pistol of the same model. You can also contact Glock and send the pistol to them for evaluation.

Edited to add: Just re-read the OP. Have you tried a OEM mag without an aftermarket base pad or grip sleeve? Such as a stock G17 mag from your other gun? Non-OEM base plates and grip sleeve type stuff can cause issues sometimes. If its stiff with an unloaded, bare 100% OEM mag/baseplate (especially a 19/17 mag)... it may need a trip back to the mothership.
    Last edited by WDR; 11-27-2022 at 11:43 PM.

Are you pushing with the pad of your thumb or the end of the thumb? This can be an issue with folks with shorter digits. Slightly shifting the pistol in your hand as the support hand comes away may help to get the thumb oriented so you are press with the end of the thumb (bone) not the more fleshy pad.

(Boy, that was probably clear as mud.)

I wouldn't replace the mag spring with a lighter one, especially one that is half the tension of the original.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List