Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-scientific hobbyist entertainment with synthetic gel.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @the Schwartz appreciate the time you took for that.

But the part you’re missing is that there IS a denser (they call it 20%) formulation.

And that formulation decidedly does NOT overpenetrate compared to 10% organic.

So a fundamental assumption you’re making is wrong. Because they sell it, I own it, and have sawed through it and it is way tougher than their 10% product.

It is quite possible that the 20% is a completely different formula. They do seem to melt together seamlessly though.

Well certainly, you're welcome.

However both ''10%" and "20%" versions (as described by the CBG manufacturer) simply use different proportions of the same triblock copolymer and paraffinic processing oil to alter the strength of the product as confirmed through FTIR for one of my clients several years ago.

I hope that you have fun doing your experiment.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    @the Schwartz appreciate the time you took for that.

But the part you’re missing is that there IS a denser (they call it 20%) formulation.

And that formulation decidedly does NOT overpenetrate compared to 10% organic.

So a fundamental assumption you’re making is wrong. Because they sell it, I own it, and have sawed through it and it is way tougher than their 10% product.

It is quite possible that the 20% is a completely different formula. They do seem to melt together seamlessly though.
    What’s the melt do to the material.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    What’s the melt do to the material.
    Over multiple melt/remelt cycles, it causes degradation in the form of broken molecular chains leading to cloudiness, yellowing, and increasing resistance strength.

Some folks report seeing adverse effects as early as 2 - 3 remelt cycles.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 11-27-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Name:  B4453EBB-9C1F-45D7-98B8-63008275D3DA.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  86.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Nvm.

Watching.

So, do you have block of shear-validated 10% ordnance gelatin available to shoot the same load into along side the modified CBG blend so that you can make a direct comparison between both mediums?

Did the block have time to cool to room temperature?

It has been a few years since but @5pins saw significantly different penetration from warm aka still hot in the middle blocks vs fully cooled.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Nothing replaces meat. 🫣😂😂😂
    Just show mine the fire.

Fail

So first ballpark was a fail.

I didn’t add enough of the 20%.

Name:  72AA2FCA-65F3-477D-986D-F2ACE23C9CF5.jpg
Size:  55.0 KB

It’s an interesting hypothesis that Schwartz has but testing the 20% block alone leads me to think there’s more to it.

Because it’s physically tougher and bullets stop shorter so something is fundamentally different than their 10% block.

As a point of reference, when 5pins shot the Underwood wadcutter in 10% clear gel he got 25 inches.

When I shot the same load in the “20%” gel it went 14”.

So something is different in the density of their 10 versus 20 block and I’m assuming that wadcutter would go farther in organic.

My bullets didn’t tumble in case anyone thinks that’s the discrepancy.

User Tag List