Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep on Rollin': HK P9S & CZ-52

Site Supporter

Keep on Rollin': HK P9S & CZ-52

Through the sheer grace of coincidence, I managed to acquire the only two roller-locking handguns in existence (I think?), within the span of about 2 weeks. I saw the CZ-52 at a pawn shop for $250. I saw the HK P9S on Armslist for... more than that.

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  87.8 KB

So... Merry Christmas me.

To be clear, the CZ-52 is roller locked and the HK P9S is roller delayed. In most respects, they're nothing alike. Other than fact they both have rollers and they're both neat. And that gives me an excuse to make a thread on PF about both of them.

HK P9S

Damn. This thing can shoot. I've heard it described as a "one-hole gun." I see why.

Name:  image5.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  33.2 KB

The accuracy feels very direct. Very intuitive. Like there's less of a "proxy" between your point of aim and your point of impact. And I suppose that makes sense--the P9S uses a fixed barrel. But unlike a straight blowback gun, the P9S has a telescoping bolt/breech face with little rollers on it... which lock into little nooks on a trunnion that extends back from the rear-end of the barrel. So, the rollers slow down the cycle and that helps keeps the pressure contained... while also making every shot feel silky smooth. You can see the little half-moon "nooks" there in the center of all that metallic complexity--that's where the rollers live, when in battery.

Name:  image4.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  33.4 KB

The single-action trigger is also fantastic. Very light. Very crisp. Even shooting fairly fast, I was holding tight patterns on the target. I put 150 rounds through it. 100% reliable. 100% accurate AF and fun to shoot.

Name:  image7.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  41.5 KB

Interestingly, some digging on HKPro revealed that this was one of the Malaysian police imports that (I guess) came in through Centerfire Systems in the last few years. But it's been completely overhauled. Refinished. Buffer replaced. Small parts/springs replaced. New trigger guard. There's no serial number on the barrel or the slide. They may not even be original to the gun. But hey... the thing can freakin' shoot. So who cares.

CZ-52

This poor thing was a sight for sore eyes. Rust. Holster wear. Barely any of its original 1950s phosphate finish left. But I've always thought the lines and the proportions of the CZ-52 were gorgeous. And for the price... what the hell.

Name:  image8.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  36.7 KB

I cleaned it up and replaced the recoil spring before shooting. I put 100 rounds through it. Mag dumped as fast as I could pull the trigger. It fired, fed, extracted and locked back every time. And the thing is... so much fun to shoot. You get a big blast from the 7.62x25 round. But hardly any recoil. In a way, it's the exact opposite of the P9S--you feel very insulated from the shot. And the recoil impulse. So you just want to keep blasting away... and, in my case, hit absolutely nothing.

Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  35.1 KB

Unlike the P9s, the CZ-52 is a locked-breech pistol. In a way, the rollers kinda perform the same roll (ha!) as the locking block in a Beretta 92. In battery, they lock into recesses in the slide, then they get pushed out of those recesses (inward) to unlock the slide from the barrel. It feels somewhat like a Beretta 92, I guess? You get a very relaxed, very "attenuated" recoil impulse.

Name:  image0.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  33.8 KB

I'd get some decent accuracy for a few shots with the thing... then I'd start getting flyers. The bore has some light pitting here and there, but the rifling is still clear and sharp. I think it can probably shoot better than I was shooting it. Plus, after a certain point, I just started blasting to see if the thing could handle rapid fire. It did.

Anyway... fun times. Figured some of you guys might enjoy these blasts from the past. I think both guns are fascinating from an engineering standpoint. In fact, you might say... I like how they roll.

Sorry
    Last edited by MattyD380; 11-26-2022 at 01:37 AM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    I've lusted for a P9S for a long, long time. I never thought to compare it directly to a CZ52 but it really does just make so much sense.

Great thread, great pics - I love P-F!

Thanks for taking the time to share this

P9s hack

Just a tip, as P9s magazines are very scarce, I was able to use unmodified P1/P38 Walther mags which are much more common, relatively much less expensive, and it always ran. It just gave up one round over the factory mag but saved me a lot of time at the range as I always like to show up with loaded mags.

Mine was also very accurate. I guess I played with it and enjoyed it as a range toy for about a decade then passed it on to one of my neighbors who was obsessed with it. Then after a few years he sold it on Gunbroker for twice what he paid me for it

Hope you enjoy those two. And as far as I know those are the only two roller locking pistols.

Great post. And, should you be interested, there are 9mm conversion barrels available for the CZ 52. I agree, both guns are intriguing.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Great post! Beautiful additions to your collection, well done. And, great shooting with the HK.

The P9S is probably the coolest suppressor host as far as pistols go, IMO. The engineering and craftsmanship is old school cool x10.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words. I'm thrilled I got to chance to experience these fascinating specimens. And I'm especially thrilled with how well the P9S shoots. Certainly my expectations were lower with the CZ-52. But I enjoy the gun, nonetheless. And I think I can get some better accuracy out of it. @JonInWA, I may grab a 9mm barrel at some point. Tok ammo isn't exactly easy to find, these days.

@fatdog - Thanks for that tip. I tried a Walther P5 mag in my P9S--locked in perfectly. Follower seems to be in the right place to feed, too. I actually got 8 legit P9S mags with the gun. The guy just kept on pulling 'em out. Overall, I think it was solid deal for what I got.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Nice finds!

If you do get a 9mm conversion barrel for the CZ, always be aware of which barrel is installed. A 9mm cartridge will fit into the chamber of a 7.62x25, and the back ends of both cases will protrude the same amount. However, firing the 9mm in the wrong barrel would obviously not go well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words. I'm thrilled I got to chance to experience these fascinating specimens. And I'm especially thrilled with how well the P9S shoots. Certainly my expectations were lower with the CZ-52. But I enjoy the gun, nonetheless. And I think I can get some better accuracy out of it. JonInWA, I may grab a 9mm barrel at some point. Tok ammo isn't exactly easy to find, these days.

fatdog - Thanks for that tip. I tried a Walther P5 mag in my P9S--locked in perfectly. Follower seems to be in the right place to feed, too. I actually got 8 legit P9S mags with the gun. The guy just kept on pulling 'em out. Overall, I think it was solid deal for what I got.
    Forgot to say congrats! Those two are nice additions to any collection. Anyone that appreciates finely-crafted works of any kind needs a P9S. It will make you yearn for the days when we built things like they mattered.

I definitely recommend checking the buffer in the P9S and replacing it if it looks degraded. It's quick and easy to do, just have to be careful not to strip the two screws.

The CZ-52 is an often overlooked and hidden gem IMO. A cool piece of history and intriguing design ahead of its time. In point and fact, the robust firing pin safety design (linear/vertical barrel or block with a single coil spring) it has is the type most modern pistols use today. Near as I can tell, I think the CZ-52 was the first production pistol to use it. Best I've been able to trace it, that FPS design was based on earlier prototypes of either the CZ 471 or CZ 481 (~1947-1948), or both (details are sparse). I've not been able to find another production pistol before this with the same style FPS. Good ideas stand the test of time. I seriously regret not buying a dozen of them back when they were available as cheap as ~$150 from several surplus retailers maybe a decade ago. 7.62x25 is a spicy little meatball too.

I will try to dig our ‘Cooper on Handguns’ and see if it waxes on about the P9 (SA version) in the way I remember.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List