Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost River Ammunition

"38 Short Colt +P+ for 357 Magnum Revolvers ONLY"

Such a thing would amuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I don’t know, but since the case is close to the same size as 9x19, the pressure would probably be similar if you wanted similar velocities.
    That's what I was thinking. Which should be fine right? I mean TK customs cuts m10s for 9mm moon clips.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The .38 Short Colts "could" work, but there are much better choices such as a full wadcutter. There are some threads on the forum discussing wadcutters for self defense and they would be a more appropriate option. In my own J Frame, 5 shot revolver, that is what I choose.

I'm going to put in a plug for the Wadcutters. I ordered some from Lost River and they came fast! I had the opportunity to try a few through an old 649-one of those with the firing pin in hammer-and no problems. Recommended.
    I'm usually toting a semi or two, but there's a place for snubs, and this will be my load going forward. Feels a little stouter than "normal" Wadcutters, but nothing that can't be handled, and that is the point after all.
    Thanks, @Lost River

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I don’t know, but since the case is close to the same size as 9x19, the pressure would probably be similar if you wanted similar velocities.
    That would be nice, but wouldn’t there be a difference between a 3-5” semi-auto velocity and the same charge in a <2” barrel revolver?
    I don’t know what I don’t know about revolver barrel length and velocity, but I’m thinking there’s some loss there.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    That would be nice, but wouldn’t there be a difference between a 3-5” semi-auto velocity and the same charge in a <2” barrel revolver?
    I don’t know what I don’t know about revolver barrel length and velocity, but I’m thinking there’s some loss there.
    I'm sure there would be some velocity loss. The bigger problem is that, if this ammo were produced commercially, some knucklehead would stick it in an old Iver Johnson .38 S&W breaktop with the resultant kaboom. IIRC, that's why the 9mm Federal was discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    ...wouldn’t there be a difference between a 3-5” semi-auto velocity and the same charge in a <2” barrel revolver?
    I don’t know what I don’t know about revolver barrel length and velocity...
    The barrels in automatics are measured from the crown to the breech face. A revolver barrel is measure crown to end of forcing cone.

Were one to measure a wheelgun to the recoil plate, as with an auto, the barrel would get over an inch longer. As an example, thw hypothetical 2" revolver barrel is equivalent to a 3"+ automatic.

Velocity loss through the cylinder gap is also overstated in almost all cases. With differences in barrels, throat diameters, the cylinder gap itself, loads used, the barrels themselves, and more adding up to make it a wash. Some wheelguns shoot faster than an equivalent auto for whatever tune the angels are dancing to on the head of a pin.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    The barrels in automatics are measured from the crown to the breech face. A revolver barrel is measure crown to end of forcing cone.

Were one to measure a wheelgun to the recoil plate, as with an auto, the barrel would get over an inch longer. As an example, thw hypothetical 2" revolver barrel is equivalent to a 3"+ automatic.

Velocity loss through the cylinder gap is also overstated in almost all cases. With differences in barrels, throat diameters, the cylinder gap itself, loads used, the barrels themselves, and more adding up to make it a wash. Some wheelguns shoot faster than an equivalent auto for whatever tune the angels are dancing to on the head of a pin.
    Interesting. Thanks for the information. Now I know at least a little more than nothing on the subject.

Do you suppose a .32 Long or H&R loading might ever happen?

Just awesome selection of perfect loads for the given calibers btw. IMO.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@Lost River a quick question:

I see on the website it says no shipping to restricted states. If that's a hard rule I'll understand, will ask anyway in the interest of getting the info out there for others.

I have a FFL03 and a California Certificate of Eligibility (COE) which allows me to, among other things, legally purchase ammunition out of state or bring it personally back across state lines (regs are below). Some ammo dealers accept this, others don't. I suspect it's basically a matter of whether they are willing to deal with the hassle of keeping a bunch of COE's on file. The folks I buy from outside of California ask that we email a scan or photo of the COE, they're renewed every year though so it's on us to keep them current and update after renewal, I'm sure not everyone does that efficiently.

I'm able to load here so this is not a critical need. Basically, if you're willing to deal with the filing then I'd buy something just to support the venture. If it's more hassle than it's worth, that's OK too.

BTW, I was not far from you for two days last summer during business travel. Beautiful country.

Penal Code 30414
    (a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30312.
    (b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
    (1) An ammunition vendor.
    (2) A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.
    (3) An importer or manufacturer of ammunition or firearms who is licensed to engage in business pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
    (4) A person who is on the centralized list of exempted federal firearms licensees maintained by the Department of Justice pursuant to Article 6 (commencing with Section 28450) of Chapter 6 of Division 6.
    (5) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.
    (6) A person who acquired the ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.
    (c) A violation of this section is an infraction for any first time offense, and either an infraction or a misdemeanor for any subsequent offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I finally got may 'new' Labradar back from the factory for repairs. I was able to chrono the .44 Special 240 grain Semi Wadcutter from earlier and the .38 Wadcutter 148 grain Full Wadcutter I recently got. All velocities were measured at an indoor range.

44 Special 240 Gr:
    Gun: Ruger Redhawk 5.5"
    Avg: 963 fps
    Hi: 971 fps. Lo: 950 fps
    SD: 7.0 fps.

38 Special 148 Gr:
    Gun: S&W 442
    Avg: 756 fps
    Hi: 772 fps. Lo: 748 fps
    SD: 9.1 fps.

Group off hand at 7 yds.

38 Special 148 Gr:
    Gun: S&W Mdl 10 4 inch
    Avg: 882 fps
    Hi: 845 fps. Lo: 797 fps.
    SD: 17.6 fps.

Group off hand at 40 feet. Not quite sure why the SD is so high for the M-10.

Is that the +P 148gr wadcutter loading or the standards pressure version?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List