Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Lost River Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    It is no secret that poly-coated projectiles have become more and more popular over the years. In fact, the last few loads I have developed, I started with a poly-coated projectile right from the start. They smoke less when the gun is discharged, and make cleaning easier, plus you are handling lead a bit less if that is a concern. Accuracy tends to be excellent with them as well. Really there are no downsides.

I recently developed a good load that is suitable to replace the .38 Special standard pressure 148 grain hardcast wadcutter. So the new poly-coated 148 grain wadcutters will be offered from here out. They pair up nicely with the little .32 H&R wadcutters too!

Hope you guys enjoy them!
    Have you done in penetration tests with these .32 and .38 wad cutters?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Just ordered the last 100 rounds of poly-coated .38.

Ammo: Lost River 44 Special 240 grain LSWC

Gun: Taurus Tracker with ported 4" barrel (closer to 3" as the final inch under the porting is counter-bored fairly wide)

Five shot string over a chronograph:
    1) 877
    2) 893
    3) 893 (dup 1, not an error)
    4) 907
    5) 897
    Ave.) 893.4 feet/second
    Energy*) 425 ft-lbf
    Sectional Density**) 0.185

For comparison, the sectional density of a 158 grain .38/.357 bullet is 0.177 with a muzzle energy of 253.5 ft-lbf for a representative warm standard pressure load clocking 850 feet/second.

Before the chronograph, I ran a Hayes 5^5 (five shots, five yards, 5" circle, in five seconds) and it was quite comparable to a Charter Bulldog firing a 44 Special cowboy load (240gr. at 660fps). Both were comfortable and passed easily.

A 25 yard group showed good promise but the gun was not zeroed for this load so no measurement taken as it wasn't all on paper. Some 15 yard shots at a head-sized rock pock-marked the surface notably more than lighter specials. I'd like to hit some targets of various material to get a feel for how the bullet holds up but would likely not hesitate to shoot a deer with this load.

* (W * V2) / 450400

** Using a bullet diameter of 0.430" to avoid wrestling unnecessary significant digits and the formula (W / 7000) / D2
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 02-27-2024 at 11:48 AM.

Some more notes with the 44 Special load.

4" S&W model 329PD: Recoil is roughly comparable to shooting a S&W Shield in .40 with full power 180gr. service loads. Taking aim at a punky but soaked 6.5" diameter log, the bullet passed through the thickest bit and blew splinters out the back, where it was still truckin' enough to splatter wet earth. Hitting a few other targets of opportunity at various ranges out to fifty yards along my walk, I can now say that I would definitely feel comfy with this load for whitetail.

Charter Arms Bulldog with 2.5" barrel: While it passed the Hayes 5x5 with time to spare, WOOF. It's about like shooting a moderate 44 Magnum from an N-frame. I will not repeat the "experiment" a friend wanted done with his snub. Not painful but the snub squirmed around and it could not have been good for the gun. In just seven rounds fired, the revolver was filthy. The final two did stay within the 4" center of a 6" paper plate at 15 yards with a dead center hold for a cylinder of ball and dummy. I am an idiot on the internet and no one else should bother to do this. The Blazer aluminum cased 200gr. Gold Dot load I fired for comparison was already sportier than I felt would likely be good for the gun in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Just ordered the last 100 rounds of poly-coated .38.
    I have a 1K plus rounds up on the website now. Forgot to update that here.

Also have a bunch of the ever popular 9mm+P Predator Penetrator!

Plus .45 250 grain +P and .40 S&W as well!

User Tag List