Thread: Remington .38 Spl 158gr +P LHP in Vyes Ballistics Gel

Remington .38 Spl 158gr +P LHP in Vyes Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: S&W M442
    Barrel length: 1 7/8 inches.
    Ammunition: Remington .38 Spl 158gr +P LHP (Part # 22297)
    Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 763fps
    BB Calibration: 3.75 at 585fps, 3.73 at 577fps

https://general-cartridge.com/2022/1...allistics-gel/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

The Winchester FBI loads are different. They all were loaded by magic elves so they were better!

Thanks for doing these. I enjoy seeing your results.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 11-25-2022 at 09:57 PM.

I have several hundred rounds of this stuff and it's my go to in a .38 if I can't find Gold Dot Short Barrel.

Every once in a while, I want to buy some of the RimRock Bullets gas-checked 158gr SWC-HP that they supposedly make for Buffalo Bore, and try to load up my own version of this... but RimRock increased their price on those bullets to .38 cents each, and that is just close enough to standard JHP loaded ammo, that I can't justify it. I do wonder if the Matts Bullets 158gr SWC-HP would work too. They are far cheaper.

All that said... the performance of the old swaged SWC-HP bullets has never been very impressive through clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Every once in a while, I want to buy some of the RimRock Bullets gas-checked 158gr SWC-HP that they supposedly make for Buffalo Bore, and try to load up my own version of this... but RimRock increased their price on those bullets to .38 cents each, and that is just close enough to standard JHP loaded ammo, that I can't justify it. I do wonder if the Matts Bullets 158gr SWC-HP would work too. They are far cheaper.

All that said... the performance of the old swaged SWC-HP bullets has never been very impressive through clothing.
    Here's an option if you want to try rolling your own.

https://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?...products_id=60

No gas check so they are pretty inexpensive. I loaded these to about 850 fps and they tested pretty well in gel from what I remember.

Matt's makes a nice bullet but I haven't tried any of his hollow points.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Here's something from my old thread:

GT Bullets' 160gr LSWCHP loaded in 38 case with 5.3gr of Unique. This should be a +P max load according to my Lyman book.

Surely this will work better than the factory Remington stuff????

Now this is more like it!

This is two of the GT Bullets LSWCHP fired through heavy clothing. Muzzle velocity is right at 850 fps.

Both bullets performed nearly identically in terms of penetration, expansion and recovered weight.

This load certainly warrants more experimentation, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Everglades Ammo has some 158gr SWCHP's available for a good price.

https://www.evergladesammo.com/bulle...p-bullets.html

I've had great luck with plated and FMJ bullets from Everglades in 9mm, .357 and .45, but have not tried these lead bullets.

Site Supporter
    The one made by Remington is basically the same as Federal and Winchesters ones. At this point, someone is going to comment that one or the other is different in some way, whether it be the lead is softer or harder.
    Yeah, that'd be me.

Lucky Gunner's tests showed the Remington and Winchester loads to be roughly comparable, but Federal's load didn't expand in the Clear Gel they used. I do know that Federal has changed bullets since the time that the "FBI load" was popular among LE agencies.

The R-P load is what I carry in my 3-4" M10s and the backup speed strip for my M49. Going from memory, it runs ~820 fps from the 3" and ~855 fps from the 4".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 37th Mass View Post
    Everglades Ammo has some 158gr SWCHP's available for a good price.

https://www.evergladesammo.com/bulle...p-bullets.html

I've had great luck with plated and FMJ bullets from Everglades in 9mm, .357 and .45, but have not tried these lead bullets.
    Those bullets appear to be from Zero. IME, you can push those to factory duplication +P levels with no leading. They're pretty smoky, though, and the lube is soft and sticky. I went through a box of 500 of the SWC-HPs just out of curiosity. I also went through several thousand of their 158-grain RNLs at ~830 fps with no problems or leading, including one class where I went through >700 in a day and a half (I did use the Allison Speed Brush and a toothbrush a lot).

Everglades is my source for 9x19 FMJs too.

User Tag List