Thread: EOTech EXPS odd reticle problem.

EOTech EXPS odd reticle problem.

I have a EOTech EXPS purchased in 2014 that has seen very little use. I put it on a 16" BCM AR, zeroed it and used it very lightly. It has never been stored with the CR123A battery installed. Today I decided to take the 16" BCM to the range. My intent was to move the EXPS to a 14.5 BCM and move the LVPO on the 14.5" to the 16". Before leaving I installed a battery in the EXPS and noticed something odd.

The reticle did not look normal. It was washed out under daylight on the max setting. The intensity of the 65 MOA ring varied side to side. It is best around 10 o'clock and worst at 4 o'clock. With a proper cheek weld looking from directly behind the optic the reticle intensity is weak. Then I noticed that as I came off the rifle the reticle appeared to get better. Lifting my head up and to the left, basically looking through the optic from the top left hand corner the reticle intensity looks like it should for the intensity selected. I tried another CR123A battery and nothing changed.

I just compared my EXPS with my son's EXPS. His is recent production. Night and day difference! I'm going to call EOTech Monday. Honestly I'm not interested in spending any money to get it repaired (2 year warranty). I already have a Holosun on the way from Primary Arms. If EOTech offers to repair or replace for free then I'll send it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I have a EOTech EXPS purchased in 2014 that has seen very little use. I put it on a 16" BCM AR, zeroed it and used it very lightly. It has never been stored with the CR123A battery installed. Today I decided to take the 16" BCM to the range. My intent was to move the EXPS to a 14.5 BCM and move the LVPO on the 14.5" to the 16". Before leaving I installed a battery in the EXPS and noticed something odd.

The reticle did not look normal. It was washed out under daylight on the max setting. The intensity of the 65 MOA ring varied side to side. It is best around 10 o'clock and worst at 4 o'clock. With a proper cheek weld looking from directly behind the optic the reticle intensity is weak. Then I noticed that as I came off the rifle the reticle appeared to get better. Lifting my head up and to the left, basically looking through the optic from the top left hand corner the reticle intensity looks like it should for the intensity selected. I tried another CR123A battery and nothing changed.

I just compared my EXPS with my son's EXPS. His is recent production. Night and day difference! I'm going to call EOTech Monday. Honestly I'm not interested in spending any money to get it repaired (2 year warranty). I already have a Holosun on the way from Primary Arms. If EOTech offers to repair or replace for free then I'll send it.
    You are experiencing delamination of the glass the reticle is projected onto. This is a common issue with EoTechs. I’ve had this issue with two personally owned EoTech and several at work before we switched to Aimpoint Micros.

Essentially EOTECH will not repair sights made prior to 2009. They will take the optic and trade and let you buy the optic or optics combo of your choice as a replacement at 50% of MSRP.

For a 2014 vintage they should repair it but they’re going to charge you a flat fee of $79.

I believe the only sights they 100% cover under warranty are the “new logo” models - post 2017 or 2018 production.

For $79 I’d repair it even if you want to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You are experiencing delamination of the glass the reticle is projected onto. This is a common issue with EoTechs. I’ve had this issue with two personally owned EoTech and several at work before we switched to Aimpoint Micros.

Essentially EOTECH will not repair sights made prior to 2009. They will take the optic and trade and let you buy the optic or optics combo of your choice as a replacement at 50% of MSRP.

For a 2014 vintage they should repair it but they’re going to charge you a flat fee of $79.

I believe the only sights they 100% cover under warranty are the “new logo” models - post 2017 or 2018 production.

For $79 I’d repair it even if you want to get rid of it.
    Thanks for the info. I checked the sticker on the bottom. Manufacture date is Oct 2013. perhaps for $79 it would be worth getting it fixed. Keep as a backup, give to my son or just sell and be gone with it.

I texted some friends with my predicament and started the message, "Aimpoint fanboys hold the I told you so".

My son got a smoking deal on his EXPS2. He bought from a guy who buys stuff and sells shortly afterwards. My son got it shortly before he left for Infantry OSUT. So far since returning he has purchased a G19 and still needs an AR to put under the EOTech.

Any thoughts about the Thermal Drift issue? I ignored the issue. I think my optic was subject to a recall. Wonder if this will get fixed as well?

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the info. I checked the sticker on the bottom. Manufacture date is Oct 2013. perhaps for $79 it would be worth getting it fixed. Keep as a backup, give to my son or just sell and be gone with it.

I texted some friends with my predicament and started the message, "Aimpoint fanboys hold the I told you so".

My son got a smoking deal on his EXPS2. He bought from a guy who buys stuff and sells shortly afterwards. My son got it shortly before he left for Infantry OSUT. So far since returning he has purchased a G19 and still needs an AR to put under the EOTech.

Any thoughts about the Thermal Drift issue? I ignored the issue. I think my optic was subject to a recall. Wonder if this will get fixed as well?
    AFAIK the answer to thermal drift was to replace the optic but unless you've experienced TD I would not worry about it.

IME the three biggest issues with EoTechs were battery box issues (not a factor for XPS/EXPS models), adjustment tracking issues and delamination.

Again for $79 I would just get it fixed and figure it out from there.

Reach out to them. I believe HCM’s take on their official policy is correct but have seen several people online say that EOTech took care of them outside the date. Worst case, you pay the fee but then have a solidly functioning optic. I wouldn’t lose confidence in it for that. But if you want to sell, they’re always in demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RMA Request Submitted to EOTech.

Hello John,

Your request has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff. Due to the increased demand, response times may be delayed. Please allow 2-3 days for our team to review your request and respond thoughtfully.

If you think of anything else, please reply directly to this email.

I shipped my EXPS2 to EOTech Friday Dec. 2 it arrived at their facility 12/5. Today (12/12) I received a UPS notification that I will receive my sight 12/14. Impressive turnaround time!

User Tag List