Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on Thoughts of Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    No disagreement about any of this, except the terminology. In my book:
    • 21+ = high capacity pistol magazine
    • 15-19 = standard capacity pistol magazine
    • <10 = low capacity pistol magazine
    I'll admit I'm not up on the definitions. I'll go with you're definition. My thinking is geared more toward single stack v. double/staggered stack. More pistols sold these days are the later so I guess that's standard, just like 20 is standard for an M4.

Personally. I don't own any std capacity magazines anymore because of the changing laws in WA. They aren't illegal to own, but I can no longer buy those in this state. Nobody sells them anymore and it's illegal to import them. It's illegal to sell them in WA and might be illegal to sell anywhere but I get conflicting info about that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Not a SME, but if you'll have my opinion:

1) Carrying a single stack because you think it fits the statistical chances of what you're likely to encounter, and you're fine with that capability and limitation...sure, that makes sense.

2) fighting your way to something bigger is something that, from what I can tell, originates from people working in an overseas job...particularly, low profile protective security, collectors, etc. I don't think it's entirely applicable to a domestic civilian self defense context, where from what I gather you're likely to "run what you brung", and anything else not in your immediate vicinity will remain out of play and the event will have terminated before you're able to bring the other items to play.
    There has not been a single instance investigated by my office, to the best I can determine, where a 'civilian defender' "fought their way to a long gun" to repel boarders. There have been instances of un-assing the area to return with a long gun, but no exchange with a pistol then returning with a long gun. No officers have transitioned from a hand gun to a long gun absent a substantial pause in the action.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-25-2022 at 11:06 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    There has not been a single instance investigated by my office, to the best I can determine, where a 'civilian defender' "fought their way to a long gun" to repel borders. There have been instances of un-assing the area to return with a long gun, but no exchange with a pistol then returning with a long gun. No officers have transitioned from a hand gun to a long gun absent a substantial pause in the action.
    In AK around bears, there have been documented instances of the opposite — fights going from rifles to handguns!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I spent a few hours at a non profit lion preserve yesterday. They had 24 lions. I wish I had a reload and a bigger knife.

I haven't seen Paul Howe's video, but I've taken classes from guys with a similar pedigree. Obviously, those guys are extremely skilled and experienced in very violent situations. I think that gives them a level of confidence that they will prevail, regardless of the tools on their belt. I also think they realize their local environment is lot lower risk than the Hindu Kush, Ramadi, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I spent a few hours at a non profit lion preserve yesterday. They had 24 lions. I wish I had a reload and a bigger knife.
    That sounds optimistic. I'm thinking an MRAP would be a safe option.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I lurk a lot and read/search more than I post, and there's folks on here who I consider SME's saying that they're not. Perhaps SME means something else but in my eyes, the advice you all are offering is valuable. If I don't address your post directly it's because I'm trying to keep my own thoughts and biases out and I'm only answering questions or adding/asking for clarification.

@Dan Lehr would you mind clarifying? I'm trying to figure out if you're saying I'm not asking the right question(s), or if Howe didn't explain his position.

@nycnoob I'd have to experiment but I think the answer to your question means spending a lot of time on range figuring out your holds. At 25 yards you might lollipop the bull but at 5 yards you'd probably lollipop the actual X-ring circle. I haven't had a chance to go back and read (I'm reading Tom Given's Concealed Carry Class) but I think the section where he talks about is not in the technique section (as I first thought) but in the target selection chapter.

@Borderland "You may be over thinking this." Probably, but I enjoy the thinking/learning/evolving process of this.

@1Rangemaster "what can you shoot competently" For the most part I've been able to shoot all semi autos well. Some are easier to shoot than others (like a 19 to a 43x) and some get me better points (a P30L to a G19). I suppose I should spend more time on what @blues and @BehindBlueI's mentioned: average criminal reactions and area of operations.

Thank you all for your responses!
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    Just a few years ago he was EDC’ing a G26. Seemed pretty committed to it.
    Seems to be what he’s usually carrying in his FB videos. Most of which are more recent than I believe the book to be.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That sounds optimistic. I'm thinking an MRAP would be a safe option.
    He didn’t say they had camels . . .

“Easy button”

Many here have said the Glock 19 is the default choice, and that’s sound. I can also see the G26, and FWIW am fond of my Gen5. The 26 will take any double stack mag Glock makes, to include the 33 rounders. I actually ran one-26 w/33 rounder-years ago at the old Norco outlaw steel matches(miss those). Combo worked. I can get hits on a 50 yard steel silhouette with one, and that helps my confidence. My 26 with a + extension is kind of a Spartan choice: simple, as reliable as one can get with iron sights now, and fairly flexible in its concealability.
    Come to think of it, I don’t see many reports on tests on the 26, but I know a variant passed the CBP testing. Anyone know of any others?

User Tag List