Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on Thoughts of Paul Howe

I taught a class called Officer Survival to new recruits. My focus was how officers are killed and then tactics that might be employed by officers in those same situations. Before I began the class I told them that I was going to talk tactics with them and where I got my data. I always raised the screen to reveal the white board and told them 'write this down.' I then wrote:

'When I teach tactics for you to use, I'm betting your life.'

'Feel free to ask WHY, if I can't explain the WHY, I have no business advocating that tactic.'

I was regularly disappointed because recruits seemed to take what I was saying without critical thought.

JMO worth $.02.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Double Post
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I never understood the six'o clock hold.

It seems to me to require both a standard size target and a standard distance to shoot from.

If the size of your aiming black was to vary or you were shooting the same zero from different
    distances then I can not imagine how you would possibly guess the proper holdover for the new
    target.

Just imagine you are using B8 targets at 5 yards the bottom of the aiming black is an
    awfully long way below the X ring.

Which is to say I do not see how a six'O has applicability in defensive shooting.

And what would it even mean in a defensive shooting?
    You would hold the aimpoint bellow the chest? where exactly?
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

The consistent advice I’ve received from folks I’ve regarded as SMEs is to carry a service pistol in a serious chambering (9x19 and up). For me the ability to shoot the gun very well is not as easy with a subcompact as with a compact service pistol. I don’t know what my gunfight is going to look like but I do know that a quick, very accurate first and second shot is likely to be very important. That’s why I feel my CCO is a better choice than my P365 even though the SIG is superior in capacity — i shoot the CCO as well as any pistol I’ve tried and I’m quickest to the first shot with it versus any gun but the G17. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  42.4 KB
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Whoops

You may be over thinking this. There's an entire industry based on high capacity magazines. State laws continue to limit those. Unless something happens soon in the USSC we're going down to 10 for CC just about everywhere. Good news is you probably won't need a permit to carry.

See Oregon's new law. It happened here also.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-25-2022 at 08:37 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    You may be over thinking this. There's an entire industry based on high capacity magazines. State laws continue to limit those. Unless something happens soon in the USSC we're going down to 10 for CC just about everywhere. Good news is you probably won't need a permit to carry.

See Oregon's new law. It happened here also.
    No disagreement about any of this, except the terminology. In my book:
    • 21+ = high capacity pistol magazine
    • 15-19 = standard capacity pistol magazine
    • <10 = low capacity pistol magazine
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Just a few years ago he was EDC’ing a G26. Seemed pretty committed to it.

IMO:
    Standard capacity is what the manufacturer says it is, e.g., 17 rounds for the G17, 15 in a 19, etc. The 10 round limit is an artifact from the crime control bill of 1994, if I recall correctly. Then there was the moronic NY SAFE law which went 7, I think-and incidentally rendered NYSP .45 GAP mags illegal-oops.
    The fallacy is proven when one considers you can just have a lot of mags and just speed re load, or even(gasp) “tac load”.
    I in no way will speak for Mr. Howe, but surmise he means shooting off the top edge of an iron sight, rather than “drive the dot”. If his site has an email contact I’ll ask and maybe he will reply.
    Commenting on capacity, I’d read what @blues, @BehindBluel’s and @GJM write - they have good experience from different perspectives.
    I’m most comfortable w/10+rounds, but I (usually) carry a reload and/or a second gun. Glad to be in free America where I can…

Video comment: I watched the Facebook video, and his reasoning certainly seems sound. There’s the “Indian, not the arrow” kind of thing going on too. Within some pretty broad parameters, I think a lot of folks here could pick up most any common handgun and be competent with it in a “ civilian defensive situation “.

P.S. @Jay585 - I’m no SME, but what can you shoot competently? That just may answer your question…
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 11-25-2022 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Comment on video

I really like that video. Basically said it all works, just figure out what works for you and don’t over complicate it.

User Tag List