Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on Thoughts of Paul Howe

Questions on Thoughts of Paul Howe

Wasn't quite sure what section to ask these questions so I thought this might be best.

I finished reading Paul Howe's book The CSAT Way: Thoughts on Weapons, Shooting, Training, and Instruction From a Former Special Operations Soldier and Trainer

Two things (among many) stuck out:

Paul's EDC (as published in the book) is a S&W Shield .45 ACP with a 6+1 (or 7+1) capacity. His reasoning is I figure I can solve multiple opponents with six to seven rounds..." and "For me, trying to blend in and avoid trouble, I feel comfortable with a single stack that will allow me to fight to my rifle."

I've heard this before (if I'm not mistaken, from Bolke). Howe does mention that if he's expecting trouble he would "go with a high capacity". I recently got rid of my G43x and G48's thinking "f--- it, the G19 isn't that much bigger and it carries more bullets" (I was using OEM 10 rounders). Now I'm second guessing myself. What do the SME's of P-F think, and more importantly (for my consideration) why?

Second thing that stuck out was Paul's preference for a "6 o'clock hold".. Unfortunately I cannot find the exact section it's mentioned in the book but he speaks of "lollipop-ing" a target. It makes sense, as he states that it's harder to be precise with shot placement using center hold. Outside of my smallbore/highpower competition days I have used point-of-aim/point-of-impact. One thing he says in the book is to try it yourself and see what works best. However, I wanted to get more opinions on that method before I go dropping $100 to $150 on a new set of irons.

EDIT: Found a facebook video where Howe discusses his EDC and reasons. It seems he's switched up his EDC (.22 mag revolver & Glock 26) from what was published in the book (no specific mention of a particular revolver & Shield .45). The video is from July 2022 whereas the book was published in 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=574009091015779
    Last edited by Jay585; 11-25-2022 at 07:04 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I'm no SME, but I also don't try to shoehorn myself into what may work for someone with a different level of experience, mindset, age / ability, and area of operations.

I think the gun is important but secondary to your comfort level with it, your ability to deploy it, your confidence in your own skill with a gun, physical abilities and verbal abilities.

I live outside of a small town. It's not like where I worked in NYC and Miami. People still get killed, but not a lot of them. Still, I walk around the area I live in with a 642. When I go to town or further, I'm perfectly happy with a Glock 26 (11 rounds) and a reload.

I learn a lot from others, but I still only use what is useful for my own circumstances.

(I don't think you can go wrong with a G19, it's my first Glock and I still own it 34 years later...but either of the other guns you had would work too if you are as comfortable with them.)

Sorry if that's not particularly helpful. I don't think there's one right answer.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    From what I've seen, vs random attackers when you drop one the others flee. If it's a dedicated attack and the other side doesn't completely suck, good guys run out of time before they run out of bullets. Luck starts playing a large role as Generic US Bad Guy is typically mag dumping and trying for accuracy by volume and/or are firing as they run.

When I travel out of town and am only concerned with random violence I'm 100% ok with a smaller single stack or even *gasp* a revolver as a primary. Capacity is just not a game changer in any but the most outlying outliers. I do prefer more ammo available, either in the gun or in available reloads, when targeted violence is a more realistic population.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Given all the great options available now, no matter what you think the odds are, I see no reason to have a sub ten round semi auto EDC.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’ll be the countervailing opinion (aside from BBI) and just say this: If you’re Paul Howe, you can run whatever you want, so long as it’s not a friggin 1851 Navy cap n ball wheelie. I’m sure that MoFo can make his single stack M&P work.

But whatever: I’m a wheelie guy, so grain of salt on the “multiple attackers problem.”
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Not a SME, but if you'll have my opinion:

1) Carrying a single stack because you think it fits the statistical chances of what you're likely to encounter, and you're fine with that capability and limitation...sure, that makes sense.

2) fighting your way to something bigger is something that, from what I can tell, originates from people working in an overseas job...particularly, low profile protective security, collectors, etc. I don't think it's entirely applicable to a domestic civilian self defense context, where from what I gather you're likely to "run what you brung", and anything else not in your immediate vicinity will remain out of play and the event will have terminated before you're able to bring the other items to play.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-25-2022 at 07:40 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Not a SME, but if you'll have my opinion:

1) Carrying a single stack because you think it fits the statistical chances of what you're likely to encounter...sure, that makes sense.

2) fighting your way to something bigger is something that, from what I can tell, originates from people working in an overseas job...particularly, low profile protective security, collectors, etc. I don't think it's entirely applicable to a domestic civilian self defense context, where from what I gather you're likely to "run what you brung", and anything else not in your immediate vicinity will remain out of play and the event will have terminated before you're able to bring the other items to play.
    You know. I wanted to say something like this.

In the grand scheme of things it’s what I have on my person. And my situational awareness whatever it may be. There really is no way I’m fighting my way to a rifle in anything I can imagine about my daily life.
    In certain situations I have a long gun as a primary. But that is really a low factor.

I just watched Paul's video. He discussed simplifying gear, and for him, that was a .22 magnum revolver and a Glock 26 with 19 magazines. Nothing to disagree with here.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I just watched Paul's video. He discussed simplifying gear, and for him, that was a .22 magnum revolver and a Glock 26 with 19 magazines. Nothing to disagree with here.
    Not being a Glock guy (that means I don't know all the model numbers), my first thought was along the lines of "WTF?! How do you carry that many magazines."

It did eventually dawn on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    Not being a Glock guy (that means I don't know all the model numbers), my first thought was along the lines of "WTF?! How do you carry that many magazines."

It did eventually dawn on me.
    You win the net for tonight!

We are camped out in the desert in the Sprinter, it is dark, and someone is shooting a full auto or bump trigger not far away. Don’t mind having what my wife calls the party pack with us.

Name:  780D1D39-4790-40E1-B8AA-6026C872D018.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  70.1 KB

User Tag List