Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on Thoughts of Paul Howe

There can be so many considerations for what gun you carry;
    Size of the gun, weight, capacity, caliber, state laws, type of clothes you're wearing, where you're going, activity level, where you live, comfort level, eye sight, fitness, injuries, body type, etc.

What someone else carries can be an influence but it's way down there on the list of all the other considerations.

Here's another angle...how many of the top level instructors have been in gunfights as civilians? (Not counting their past LE/MIL duty).
    The point I'm making is that the industry professionals promoting carrying guns are making their living off of classes that revolve around carrying a gun.
    Yes there's a significant business angle to the gun culture and it's wise to at least keep that in perspective.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Speaking of 22's for self-defense, I found this quote from Jeff Cooper:

"It has long been our dogma that stopping power is an essential element of the defensive triad, and this remains true as ever. However, the purpose of defensive combat is to stop one's adversary, and a 22 rimfire hit in the tear duct will stop any fight of which we have knowledge. Thus we do not push the 22 pistol as a defensive sidearm, but we do insist that perfect placement with the 22 is decisive. There is a place for the miniature 22 pistol, as long as it is well crafted and easy to use. It appears that most defensive confrontations are terminated solely by the display of a firearm. This cannot be proven, but the mass of street experience suggests that it is true. Nobody wants to get shot with any sort of pistol, which brings us around to the first principle of gun fighting, which is 'Have a gun!'" - Vol 10, No 2 (2002)
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    From what I've seen, vs random attackers when you drop one the others flee. If it's a dedicated attack and the other side doesn't completely suck, good guys run out of time before they run out of bullets. Luck starts playing a large role as Generic US Bad Guy is typically mag dumping and trying for accuracy by volume and/or are firing as they run.

When I travel out of town and am only concerned with random violence I'm 100% ok with a smaller single stack or even *gasp* a revolver as a primary. Capacity is just not a game changer in any but the most outlying outliers. I do prefer more ammo available, either in the gun or in available reloads, when targeted violence is a more realistic population.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    There has not been a single instance investigated by my office, to the best I can determine, where a 'civilian defender' "fought their way to a long gun" to repel boarders. There have been instances of un-assing the area to return with a long gun, but no exchange with a pistol then returning with a long gun. No officers have transitioned from a hand gun to a long gun absent a substantial pause in the action.
    I just wanna say that I appreciate your statistically relevant (involvement and/or visibility to how many actual events?) input on these discussions. I have found it helpful in several instances, including the idea of running out of time before ammo, never having seen a dead guy with an empty revolver, and differentiating dirtbag vs. dirtbag events.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We are camped out in the desert in the Sprinter, it is dark, and someone is shooting a full auto or bump trigger not far away. Don’t mind having what my wife calls the party pack with us.
    And in your case it will be a team event, where one person is fighting WHILE the other goes for the rifle,

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    There can be so many considerations for what gun you carry;
    Size of the gun, weight, capacity, caliber, state laws, type of clothes you're wearing, where you're going, activity level, where you live, comfort level, eye sight, fitness, injuries, body type, etc.

What someone else carries can be an influence but it's way down there on the list of all the other considerations.

Here's another angle...how many of the top level instructors have been in gunfights as civilians? (Not counting their past LE/MIL duty).
    The point I'm making is that the industry professionals promoting carrying guns are making their living off of classes that revolve around carrying a gun.
    Yes there's a significant business angle to the gun culture and it's wise to at least keep that in perspective.
    Exactly. How a former JSOC face shooter goes into the world, is not an appropriate measuring stick for most.

Every round is an opportunity. I want the maximum number of opportunities possible. I don’t get to choose the time, place, or anything else for chance violent encounters. I may be alone. I may be with friends or coworkers. The bad guy may be alone, or he may have several friends with him. He may have on body armor. He may have a long gun. He may have the sense to use cover, or he may be tweaking too hard to know what universe he’s in.

And along these lines, anyone carrying a gun should have at least one reload. My reload is always a full size mag or larger. Even if I’m carrying a G19 my spare mag is a 17 or 24rd mag.

We still have room in the https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1058803 club.

We’ve been singing the praises and simplicity of the Glock 26 + j-frame for years.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    We still have room in the https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1058803 club.

We’ve been singing the praises and simplicity of the Glock 26 + j-frame for years.
    Only since 1995 or so.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post

I had a G26, but I could never make peace with it.

A J frame is the gun I normally have on when I'm wearing basketball shorts or pajama pants around the house.

I did most of the Thanksgiving meal prep work with the J frame loaded with wadcutters and carried in a Dark Star AIWB holster. It's a great "I need to step out and get the mail" gun.
    3/15/2016

My 442 is my sweatpants gun and grilling bratwurst on the deck gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    My 442 is my sweatpants gun and grilling bratwurst on the deck gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the 642. Wouldn't mind having a 442...but I do like the ease of maintenance against bare skin with the 642.

(Carried in one or the other of my DSG "Apollo" or Harry's "Icon", occasionally in pocket with an Aholster.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List