Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First shot flyers from semi auto pistols

First shot flyers from semi auto pistols

Based on my non scientific observations, and the reports of others, I believe that the first hand cycled round (either sling shot'd or from slide stop) may hit to a different point of impact than a first cartridge that has been cycled by the firing process.

I hope to try to test this with different pistols as time allows, but I am throwing this out there in case others can try to observe or test this in their own group shooting. If it is a "thing" you may be able to incorporate this into your planning, in terms of the order you address targets or the condition you leave your pistol in.

Please post pictures or observations.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have not found this to happen across my Glocks and 1911s. For some years I started out every range session with a 150 aggregate of 5 freestyle, 5 SHO and 5 WHO on a B8 at 25 yards. First round hand cycled. These were scored. It was common for the first shot to be a 10 and not unusual for it to be an X. Holding the concentration and execution together for all 15 quite a challenge for me.

It would be helpful if some of the top group shooters from the long thread of 25 yard freestyle groups could comment whether or not they're starting with a hand cycled shot or if they used a shot to get the gun set up. There could be a ton of data points in that years running thread.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've heard of this phenomenon from many but have never experienced it. I can specifically recall times when I started a practice session at 25 yards on a NRA B8 repair center and scored a X-Ring first shot. They stick in my mind because I've been tempted to just end it there and say, "I'm good" time to leave on a high note! It would be nice to write off the 99 I end up with to a flyer and not me, which I know was the cause.

In effect each first shot is a sample of one and doesn't yield significant data to base a hypothesis upon. Factor in the human element and all bets are off. Perhaps the only way to know for certain is to run a dedicated test with every round manually loaded utilizing a Ransom rest.

I collect a lot of pics of targets. I'll sort through them. A bunch are cold walk up and test precision to start off.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

While the issue can be ammo related, I have always theorized that it had more to do with barrel lockup on certain pistol designs.

It's the difference between you racking the slide and maybe adding a holster and draw to the equation, and the gun reloading after a shot is fired.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Mas weighed in in this fairly recently, but I can't find his post?

At 25y it never mattered much for me.

At 50y? Oh yeah. I had an IDPA steel target set up near my B6s to put that first round on. 8+1 1911 so after that hand chambered round was out, I’d top off the mag and start slow fire. Somewhere in the string I’d put the 10th round in the mag and if I did my part, I could “all black” a B6 with SWC ammo.

If I hand cycled, I’d have one goofy at 50. Like high right which is rare for me.

Regards.

My P230, will place the first round at the 6 o'clock, almost out of the black of a B8, which equates to about 2.5" low at 25. The rest will be centered.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    At 25y it never mattered much for me.

At 50y? Oh yeah. I had an IDPA steel target set up near my B6s to put that first round on. 8+1 1911 so after that hand chambered round was out, I’d top off the mag and start slow fire. Somewhere in the string I’d put the 10th round in the mag and if I did my part, I could “all black” a B6 with SWC ammo.

If I hand cycled, I’d have one goofy at 50. Like high right which is rare for me.

Regards.
    Interesting, because where I noticed it was shooting steel at 100 yards with a Glock 17. The first shot would miss or be outside the rest of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    [...] I believe that the first hand cycled round [...] may hit to a different point of impact than a first cartridge that has been cycled by the firing process.
    I've never noticed that with pistols and I'm a sport shooter since about 30 years, mostly 25 m precision shooting. Maybe there is a very small difference in POI, but it's much smaller than the difference I make.

What I wrote applies to HK pistols (P30, HK45, SFP9). Have not much experience with other manufacturers. Have not tested it thoroughly, so my statement is not written in stone.
    Last edited by P30; 02-09-2023 at 11:17 AM.

User Tag List