Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cover in the Home?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    In the latest Mitch Rapp adventure, his house had variable density walls. Color coded so he would immediately know if he were under cover or had a shoot through at an intruder.
    My walls are color coded like that. For real: if they are white, yellow, taupe, powder blue, or any other color, then they are shoot through zones. Makes it easy to plan accordingly.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A guard dog would be more handy.
    Define guard?

Unless its a really really really big guard dog I think its probably going to be mostly "concealment"?
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    My couch is made of sandbags.
    So this is actually a thing in the ghetto and has been since at least circa 1996. I remember going on a search warrant back in the day and the inside of the house had sandbags stacked about 3 feet high against all the forward facing walls of the house toward the street. The inside was actually pretty well kept. Plastic on the couch, gold lame' tablecloth, etc. Grandma, mom and kids all living there. But the whole family was in the thug business and after enough drive-by shootings they all slept on the floor and had sandbag walls along the front of the house. There were no real beds in the house. Everyone slept on a mattress on the floor. Obviously, from practical experience the BGs know what stops bullets and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Define guard?

Unless its a really really really big guard dog I think its probably going to be mostly "concealment"?
    I swear Cliff Clavin had a line about Ancient Mesopotamians taming wild Aurochs to use as guardian beasts in their temples. That might work

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I'm not currently in a position to do anything about it financially, but I've often thought that if you wanted to build cover into your house, you could combine it with passive solar heating by thermal mass.

For example:Attachment 97737

Let's say you have a southern exposure; you place a lot of windows along that wall to get the sun anyway. Back from the high angle summer sun (yellow) but within the low angle winter sun (orange) you place a long, darkish-pigmented concrete dividing wall/countertop for your kitchen. Totally reasonable to pour it eight or ten inches thick with rebar to reinforce it; now in the winter it heats up during the day and releases that heat energy at night, and you're an eco-hero.

But you can also strategically place this kind of element to give you serious cover. I haven't sat down to work out exactly how you'd need to lay out the house to get the best advantage while still having a normal, functional home...but passive solar via thermal mass gives you some options.

Naturally...these things wouldn't be light, so you would need to plan around that.

Curious to whether you might have thoughts on this, @rob_s

My high school carpentry class built a "solar home" that used this type of passive solar. The south facing wall was all glass, 12 feet tall, 20 feet or so long. On the interior 3 feet away the masonry class built a brick wall the same height that was 2 brick lengths thick. I am unsure of what is in the middle of the bricks. Block, more bricks? dunno That wall did hold a lot of heat in the winter. Trees kept it shaded in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A guard dog would be more handy.

My 2 Danes can spot a human walking 200 yards away through timber and never fail to let me know. The giant size has made a delivery driver or two go to backing up really fast too.

Site Supporter
    Most used bookstores have a "free" bin of books they can't sell. Over time you should be able to fill a few bookcases.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Most used bookstores have a "free" bin of books they can't sell. Over time you should be able to fill a few bookcases.
    If one is impatient, Goodwill has outlets around here that sell books 5 for $1.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    My high school carpentry class built a "solar home" that used this type of passive solar. The south facing wall was all glass, 12 feet tall, 20 feet or so long. On the interior 3 feet away the masonry class built a brick wall the same height that was 2 brick lengths thick. I am unsure of what is in the middle of the bricks. Block, more bricks? dunno That wall did hold a lot of heat in the winter. Trees kept it shaded in the summer.

My 2 Danes can spot a human walking 200 yards away through timber and never fail to let me know. The giant size has made a delivery driver or two go to backing up really fast too.
    Great Danes!

Once we get out of this apartment to hobby farm in couple of years Great Danes and Ridgebacks are in our plans.

We both like Great Danes but the gf really loves them, I like Ridgebacks a bit more.

Home Security and Guard dogs though reminds me many years ago I worked for Census Bureau as part time job, was updating maps in rural area was fun job just driving around in my 71 Impala.

I still remember two separate high pucker factor events, two different farms that had 4 dogs that came running up to me when I got out of the car. One farm it was four Dobermans, the other it was for Rottweilers!

In Jr College was in martial arts class with local K9 cop, he asked all us college males to help with his dog training but because I was working through college I never had time when he needed someone but learned lot about dogs from him, also couple years later before went back to get BA got to know local cop in another town in the city gym lifting weights and got talking about the scars he had on his legs, thought they where knife scars. He had worked in Military with Attack Dogs, and they were scars from some of those dogs.

With what I'd learned from those two cops I was never really afraid of any single dog, knew I might get bit but it be worse for the dog if it was really attacking me vs being startled or something.

Four Dobermans were something else, four Rottweilers even more so.

Though everything worked out fine, no injuries on ether side.

With dogs as with many other things I've long been a believer in 2 is 1, 1 is none.

Site Supporter
    Well if hanging clothes are good, my wife's walk in closet is a ready made safe room...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    We have a couple of ornamental trees in planters that are probably 2' tall and 18" across. We chose resin planters so they would be light enough for us to move. Concrete and 1/4" steel are also common materials for planters, and they can be much larger. Filled with sand/dirt/gravel and real or faux plant they would provide cover and might pass approval of a significant other.

I also remember from my younger days when I was single and had more disposable income a number of stereo loudspeakers designed to be filled with sand or lead shot to add mass and dampen vibrations. I suppose they might offer some cover as well. There are also speakers made of concrete, but they make the 8k couch appear a bargain in comparison.
    I've had a couple different pairs of speakers with compartments in the bottom for mass loading. The idea was adding some lead shot (or other heavy dry media) would increase the effective mass of the speaker. The notion is that as the magnetic structure of the voice coil moves it in and out of the gap, force is generated in the opposite direction (Newton's 3rd Law). In theory this creates intermodulation distortion, and it's a bit like the children's "theory" that if an elevator was falling you could jump at the last second! I'm sure on a very minute scale the issue is real, and mass loading does affect the resonances, but I never noticed enough difference to make it worth the extra hassle of moving around a now-300 lb speaker!

The topic of cover in the home is a very interesting one, IMO. It's interesting how an idea might be considered "a bridge too far" in some forums but not others. On typical gun forums I've been shouted down even mentioning body armor as part of a HD system, which strikes me as bizarre. Guys think they'll be able to get to the safe to their NODs, carbine and 180 round of ammo, etc but dismiss the value of a plate carrier as though the odds of a bad guy actually shooting back and hitting them was unthinkable. Obviously at PF the average member knows better! The idea of creating cover in the home falls into that same notion; too "far out" for some folks, and you're crazy for considering it. But while I have no concrete figures I know of a lot of people who've been struck and killed or injured in the home from stray gunfire from the adjacent street. So certainly you don't need to be a drug dealer of bad actor to find your name on a bullet.

Many of us are somewhat limited in our ability to armor our homes. For most of my life I've lived in houses but the market is ludicrous here in Bozeman, with the median price for a single family home being over $900k. So as long as I live here I'm stuck in an apartment. But on the plus side the lanes of fire are also somewhat limited here. As was mentioned here, almost anyone could get some planters, concrete maybe being best but even the heavier resin ones could be filled with sand or gravel. So essentially much more attractive sandbags. A bookshelf suitably filled with books can stop most rifle fire although a lot of care would be needed to arrange them so as to not have large gaps in coverage. I have an armoire that serves as a room divider; if I was willing to sacrifice the storage space it wouldn't too difficult to some up with cheap materials that could be packed in stop anything short of crew served weapons. It happens to be in an ideal location where I would hunker down if someone was trying to breach my door. I haven't done so because it's basically a thought experiment, and I don't think the risk justifies the effort. Still, I still entertain the notion. The risk isn't zero, and I've contemplated options ranging from AR500 plate to just books, sandbags, various tiles or blocks, etc.

On a more practical level one could probably create a wall with your emergence water storage. Either Water Bricks or other stackable water containers would have the utility of storing water, something crucial if you live in places with hurricanes or under frequent boil orders, plus stopping bullets if necessary. Water is a great bullet stopper, and in the 99.999% of the time it wasn't getting shot at it's still water! Maybe a little messy to clean up after a shootout but better than cleaning your blood and brains off the walls.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

User Tag List