Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cover in the Home?

In the latest Mitch Rapp adventure, his house had variable density walls. Color coded so he would immediately know if he were under cover or had a shoot through at an intruder.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    He also has a beautiful French assassin as a companion. Would you rather have that as compared to a 'fighting' couch?

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    This is one of those things I’d buy if I could afford to spend $8,000 as if it was $80. If I ever win Powerball, watch out bulletproof gun safe that’s also a couch, I’m coming for you.
    Well for similar $8k you could get something like https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...69-c-19442.htm that would at least be useful in a Tornado or other storm in addition to their claim that it will stop handgun and shotgun rounds.

Think that would be an easier sell for significant other and children?

I'm currently stuck in an apartment, so I'm limited in what I can do for perimeter hardening and exterior alarms & surveillance.

There are also real limits for safe angles of fire.

Already use bookshelves positioned purposefully based on stuff Mas has said and written.

Water heater was something I just thought of today, because with apartment layout its in utility closet that shares wall with the bathroom, and bathroom is already the best spot for Tornado shelter. Realizing that water heater when filled with water is probably best cover available in the apartment after the aforementioned bookshelves, and that there isn't room to setup bookshelves by bathroom and that if intruder came through bedroom window the bathroom would be best place to fallback to fight from if possible.

The bedroom window is the biggest perimeter weakness that I haven't figured out a workable solution with it being an apartment and needing to keep it usable as fire exit.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I build homes, and I can tell you there’s not much in it that will stop a 5.56. I can also tell you that a 5.56 will zip merrily along through a 2x4 longways (3.5”).

Short of actually putting armor in your walls, there’s not really any cover.

There’s a few things in the house that might stop a 9mm or, in theory, a rifle round. Masonry fireplace, or a cast iron sink, or like you mentioned a water heater, or even a closet full of blankets and towels. I wouldn’t do any “tactical planning” around those.

Best thing you can do is have a good layout and a good “oh shit” plan, rather than rely on bullet-stopping cover. Because there really isn’t any.

Site Supporter
    I heartily endorse following Mitch Rapp's protocols, especially the beautiful French assassin. That said, neither the truly fortified home now the French assassin are practical for most people. Thus...

There isn't much cover in a typical U.S. residence. Well-stocked bookcases may provide some cover. You might also use thresholds which provide some better cover than drywall and allow concealment. Lastly, you might consider soft body armor. Granted, plate carriers look cool and can stop rifle rounds, but you want 360 degree protection from adversaries likely to be armed with handguns.

The neato couch would have helped a low-level drug dealer who, along with his 10 year-old daughter got shot in a home invasion (for dope/dope money) gunfight that was - to make things worse, arranged by wife/mom to get the cash free and clear of parolee dealer husband. They all survived.

There are things in a home that may be cover. Most things aren’t. Walls aren’t. If you put enough of them (8-14 sheets of drywall... we tested) then it may stop... something. Studs... If you line them up.... Just tell your bad guy to stay still while you “stack framing” or “pillars”... Ooohh.. did I say that...?

For local LE, we’re at a huge disadvantage going into a structure looking for bad guys. That’s why we have special weapons teams, robots, gas, and such.

As a homeowner, we’re at a huge advantage against the lax criminal who thinks they’re dealing with an easy target.

We’re at a huge disadvantage against someone who really wants to fight... Because they know how to be aggressive and we generally don’t... If the bad guys want to fight they’re coming in fast and overpowering. The best bet is early warning because if you can’t respond immediately you’re probably not going to win. Cover isn’t so much a thing... Movement and processing is more of a thing.

Lots to say but I think I’ll go with this for now.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    The neato couch would have helped a low-level drug dealer who, along with his 10 year-old daughter got shot in a home invasion (for dope/dope money) gunfight that was - to make things worse, arranged by wife/mom to get the cash free and clear of parolee dealer husband. They all survived.

There are things in a home that may be cover. Most things aren’t. Walls aren’t. If you put enough of them (8-14 sheets of drywall... we tested) then it may stop... something. Studs... If you line them up.... Just tell your bad guy to stay still while you “stack framing” or “pillars”... Ooohh.. did I say that...?

For local LE, we’re at a huge disadvantage going into a structure looking for bad guys. That’s why we have special weapons teams, robots, gas, and such.

As a homeowner, we’re at a huge advantage against the lax criminal who thinks they’re dealing with an easy target.

We’re at a huge disadvantage against someone who really wants to fight... Because they know how to be aggressive and we generally don’t... If the bad guys want to fight they’re coming in fast and overpowering. The best bet is early warning because if you can’t respond immediately you’re probably not going to win. Cover isn’t so much a thing... Movement and processing is more of a thing.

Lots to say but I think I’ll go with this for now.
    100%

If the bad guys want to fight they’re coming in fast and overpowering.
    Exactly. This is why I subscribe to the belief that prevention is better than a cure. If some dude(s) wanted to kick down my door and charge in while I’m fast asleep, I’m not waking up, gathering my senses, and grabbing my gun in time. Its important to think about deterrence and failing that, denying them and at least delaying them. Harden your “castle” up using better doors, window security film, small cheap barricades, and early warning systems such as motion camera that chime and wake you along with motion sensors. A decent home alarm is a good bet too!

I know a dude who lives in a very bad neighborhood and sometimes wont even lock his doors in the summer because “I got a gun, bro!”

[emoji16]Name:  MTS.2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  40.5 KB

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    [emoji16]Name:  MTS.2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  40.5 KB

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Just for the fun of it I’ve considered taking an ar500 USPSA target and turning it into a mini shield. Bet they would sell like crazy to a certain segment of the firearms community.

I suspect that an Ampeg SVT with 8x10, Marshall 1992 Superbass with 2 4x12, Orange Superbass with folded horn, or HiWatt DR201 with a 4x15 would be very efficient bullet stoppers.

At least that would be my excuse.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List