Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Cover in the Home?

Site Supporter
    I was half interested in putting a ballistic insert in a backpack I carry at work, but the price for something that, in the highly unlikely event I would need it, wouldn’t be on me or near me seemed prohibitive. But browsing ebay and gunbroker, I scored an out of date pair of Level II inserts for less than $80 shipped. I like arts and crafts, so going to cut them to fit, and sew the covers back on, to fit the two bags I carry most.

Anyway, you can get piles of out of date, but still perfectly good soft ballistic inserts on ebay or gunbroker and line the back of a sofa, or some other well placed piece of furniture in your home, depending on it’s layout, and whether or not it would be useful for you when you need to repel boarders. If this was a big concern for me where I lived, and it isn’t, I would rather depend on something designed to stop bullets, rather than say books. I look at my book sheves and there are a lot of very large gaps in coverage.

I do work in a violent neighborhood, and have treated the victims of drive by shootings. I have thought quite a bit about what I would do if I lived in that neighborhood in a clap board mill house.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleGabby View Post
    But browsing ebay and gunbroker, I scored an out of date pair of Level II inserts for less than $80 shipped. I like arts and crafts, so going to cut them to fit, and sew the covers back on, to fit the two bags I carry most.
    I'm not sure if cutting the panels into small dimensions is a good idea. To be sure, the kevlar thread is durable and rugged, but I believe that the 'weave' is equally important. My observation after shooting out of date panels leads me to believe that the thread tightens, if you would, in the area adjacent to impact. Not sure it would do the jobs if the ends were loose.

JMO
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I'm not sure if cutting the panels into small dimensions is a good idea. To be sure, the kevlar thread is durable and rugged, but I believe that the 'weave' is equally important. My observation after shooting out of date panels leads me to believe that the thread tightens, if you would, in the area adjacent to impact. Not sure it would do the jobs if the ends were loose.

JMO
    I have noticed in browsing the internet that some kevlar panels are “quilted” so to speak. Stitching it up is part of my plan when I can get around to it. I’ve got a seven month old to wrangle so it’s low on the projects list.

User Tag List