Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cover in the Home?

Cover in the Home?

I know drywall is useless for stopping bullets.

But was wondering about 2 specific common elements in houses and apartments that should provide at least some actual ability to stop bullets.

One was the length of a wall (ie the studs in the interior wall) like if using edge of interior wall to cover a window or door how many studs does it take to make a difference vs 9mm/40? Or vs Shotgun or rifle? I've never worked construction, and haven't done house wiring since high school so don't recall for certain the typical stud spacing for interior walls.

Other was Hot water heater, hadn't considered them as good cover because I've only seen empty ones shot in farm junk piles. But Water heater in a home is going to be filled with water, which is very good at stopping bullets. And with essentially endless water being supplied, it would actually take several holes before leakage overwhelmed flow rate filling the water heater.

Also had epiphany the other day when thinking about improving dryfire setup, realized not only would a 12x20" AR500 target https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082WRGK2N...ing=UTF8&psc=1 make a very safe target/backstop for dryfire, it would also be superb cover in a home invasion.
    Last edited by Dov; 11-25-2022 at 09:41 AM.

My couch is made of sandbags.

There isn’t much in the way of cover in most homes.

What I’ve done is figure out how to detect them using cameras and motion sensors before they get to my door and then using a reinforced door with security hardware and a little barricade device that all together delays their ability to get inside my house. The door also has a reinforced steel core.

All together this should hopefully buy me some time.

You should know the best defensive positions in your house and have 911 on the phone while all of this is happening. My home alarm will also be going off.

While my house doesn’t have much in the way of cover it will be dark and I’ll be in position ready to go. That’s the plan anyways.

I know one guy who lives in a very sketchy neighborhood with lots of crime and break ins. He has steel plates attached to the back of his couch. He can move the couch quickly wheee he has decided is the best place and use it for some cover.

"typical stud spacing for interior walls."

IMHE, usually 16 inches. Usually pretty easy to verify with magnets (looking for the screws/nails that attach the drywall to the stud).

Unless you lined your walls with AR500, most modern home are made of tissues paper and particle board.
    In terms of things that are practical, book shelves filled with books,gun safe, kitchens shelves with pots and pans, maybe a good dresser densely packed with blue jeans. None of those are perfect either and likely only against pistol calibers.

In the home you are largely counting on concealment and superior knowledge of your environment

Site Supporter
    My water heater is in the basement, next to the gas furnace. Think I will pass on that. There's no legit cover. OK, this is 'tactical' blather, better to plan a fatal funnel for the bad people or take cover behind your stream of outgoing fire.

Why did I say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    There isn’t much in the way of cover in most homes.

What I’ve done is figure out how to detect them using cameras and motion sensors before they get to my door and then using a reinforced door with security hardware and a little barricade device that all together delays their ability to get inside my house. The door also has a reinforced steel core.

All together this should hopefully buy me some time.

You should know the best defensive positions in your house and have 911 on the phone while all of this is happening. My home alarm will also be going off.

While my house doesn’t have much in the way of cover it will be dark and I’ll be in position ready to go. That’s the plan anyways.

I know one guy who lives in a very sketchy neighborhood with lots of crime and break ins. He has steel plates attached to the back of his couch. He can move the couch quickly wheee he has decided is the best place and use it for some cover.

Name:  BF155300-DE0E-4E9B-93EA-8F1FA069A8B0.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  34.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  BF155300-DE0E-4E9B-93EA-8F1FA069A8B0.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  34.0 KB
    This is one of those things I’d buy if I could afford to spend $8,000 as if it was $80. If I ever win Powerball, watch out bulletproof gun safe that’s also a couch, I’m coming for you.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Which costs more the $8000 gun cover couch or the divorce? Who says you can get to the couch and deploy the guns and get behind it (hoping they come in that direction) in real time.

This is an example for the test an LEO taught me in gun class and others have suggested. Load up with cheap airsoft guns from the toy store. Go to different locations in the house. Have some opponents (number can vary) come in the doors or windows (yes, yours are locked and armored, but that's not the point). See if you can get to the gun couch, gun safe, etc. in real time.

Wait for a real Iron Man suit is developed and spend your life in it.

I'm thinking I get the couch and the local bear breaks in the back door for some pie and is on the 'wrong side' of the couch. Oh, no!

Site Supporter
    If I had the money, and I don’t, I might look at installing these panels: https://www.armorcore.com/ around a bed room or walk in closet to turn it into a make shift safe room.

User Tag List