Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the Most Durable, Reliable, Robust Lever Action Rifles?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My favorite gun for the niche occupied by the 30-30lever gun is my CZ 527 in 7.62x39. With those out of production, and not yet having direct experience with the CZ 600 series, I’d second the Ruger American Ranch. .300 Blk and 5.56 are viable too. Any of those would be preferable to a pistol caliber long gun.

As for quick and easy to run, I sounds like you’ve never seen someone with the knowledge and ability to run a bolt gun properly. Neither a bolt or a lever is going to match a semi auto but a bolt gun with detachable mags (or to a lesser degree stripper clips) beats a tube mag.
    A couple of examples off the top of my head.

a bit more modern rifle: tikka t3x Arctic fast forward as needed

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Thanks jlw, I was hoping you'd chime in. I've been listening to a lot of your podcasts/videos lately, part of what got me thinking about this. What are the weaknesses of the Marlin's carrier? Would replacement carriers require fitting?

I've always liked the Ruger American Ranch, especially the idea of one in 7.62x39 as I have well over 10k rounds stored away of that stuff. I always figured a lever action would be more quick and easy to run in a stressful situation.
    Couple threads you might find of interest that discuss short bolt actions like the Ruger and CZ 527

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-others-CZ-527

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....er-style-Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Pistol caliber leverguns are MUCH more finicky than rifle calibers.
    I've been looking more and more at the Uberti 1873 Trapper in 357 myself, and I really like gf's Marlin 336Y.

I've noted that the 336Y (Youth model with it's shorter barrel & LOP) is comparable OAL to Remington 870 with 14" barrel and normal LOP.

Site Supporter
    I’ve had a 336 in .30-30, and now have a Marlin 1894 in .357. I enjoy the 1894 much more than the 336, it’s just more fun to pack around and shoot. Lighter, handier for what I use it for - which really isn’t much. I get it out to plink with a few times a year, and if I decide to pack a rifle long gun when hiking and I’m not actually intending to hunt anything, I’ll pack it along. Sometimes when traveling, it’s the long gun I take along.

I hunt deer with bolt actions, small game with .22s and shotguns, do whatever rifle defense practice I do with an AR, and mostly shoot .22LR or 5.56 when I’m being bothered to actually practice shooting a rifle most of the time.

But the 1894 is cool little rifle. If I am traveling with a .38 or .357 revolver (carrying, a trip that doesn’t involve recreational shooting), bringing the 1894 doesn’t mean adding a different supply of ammunition: I can just carry one box of spare ammo and I’m covered for both guns. And it’s just a fun gun to shoot - even people who don’t really like or have experience shooting rifles always get a kick out of shooting it. It’s a cowboy gun and doesn’t kick (even with .357 loads) and isn’t excessively loud (except with some .357 loads).

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post

I've noted that the 336Y (Youth model with it's shorter barrel & LOP) is comparable OAL to Remington 870 with 14" barrel and normal LOP.
    Mine is so hot after five rounds that it is uncomfortable to hold. That's not going to show up in a lifetime of deer/hog hunting, but it will in social use practice/training.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Mine is so hot after five rounds that it is uncomfortable to hold. That's not going to show up in a lifetime of deer/hog hunting, but it will in social use practice/training.
    Yeah that matches my notes about downsides of lever, rifle calibers get about one gun full of rapid fire before some type of issue like zero shift etc. Pistol caliber guns closer to 2 gun full strings of rapid fire before problems.

If your going to need sustained fire and can't use military pattern semi auto, then AFAIK a military bolt action is probably much better bet or some non military bolt guns.

I have one Social Levergun class scheduled for 2023, and it will likely be the only one scheduled for 2023. Right now, it currently has one registration. The levergun stuff generates a lot of conversation, but the class just doesn't sell.

Social Levergun, March 5, 2023. Yadkinville, NC.

Here's a podcast on the topic:

Thanks, I'm going to listen/watch this right now (and tonight/tomorrow since turkey day is calling me to bed soon). I always have enjoyed listening to you. I'm from Alexandria, Louisiana and went to college at Louisiana Tech in Ruston, I visited the same Bonnie & Clyde spot you did. Do you have any videos/podcasts on bolt rifles like the Ruger American? If it's in the link you provided I apologize.

Thanks, I'm going to listen/watch this right now (and tonight/tomorrow since turkey day is calling me to bed soon). I always have enjoyed listening to you. I'm from Alexandria, Louisiana and went to college at Louisiana Tech in Ruston, I visited the same Bonnie & Clyde spot you did. Do you have any videos/podcasts on bolt rifles like the Ruger American? If it's in the link you provided I apologize.
    Ruston is my stopover place if traveling I-20.

There is an audio version of that episode available on their feed as well.

I mention the American Ranch in the episode, but I haven't done anything specific on it. There is a thread here titled "Down the Practical Hole" that you might find relevant.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Ruston is my stopover place if traveling I-20.

There is an audio version of that episode available on their feed as well.

I mention the American Ranch in the episode, but I haven't done anything specific on it. There is a thread here titled "Down the Practical Hole" that you might find relevant.
    You may have already been there, but if you go to Ponchatoulas it's about as good as the food gets on this side of I-20 (though I might be biased). I'm listening to the vid you linked and I'll find the thread you referenced. Thank ya sir!

You may have already been there, but if you go to Ponchatoulas it's about as good as the food gets on this side of I-20 (though I might be biased). I'm listening to the vid you linked and I'll find the thread you referenced. Thank ya sir!
    Also kinda funny that we share the same first name. I know you don't find enough potential students for more lever classes, but I'd be willing to pay to take a class for you in whatever manually-operated class you might teach. I'm finding the Ruger American in 7.62x39 particularly attractive as I have 6k+ rounds available in that caliber.

User Tag List