Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What are the Most Durable, Reliable, Robust Lever Action Rifles?

WW1 era US Army Signal Corps, British Royal Navy submarines and minesweepers and motorcycle couriers used either .44-40 Model 92 or .30-30 Model 94 Winchesters. WW2 Canadian Pacific Coast Rangers used the Winchester 94 in .30-30. The WW1 Spruce Guns are highly collectible. Mine is marked with US on receiver ring with Ordnance bomb and saddle ring with carbine style steel buttplate and ladder sight. Cdn. Ranger carbine are similar configuration but had sling swivels instead of saddle ring and had crossed pennants property mark.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Slugs are NOT staying in a body. They WILL over penetrate.
    That's not my understanding at least if one is talking Foster Slugs, especially Federal Truball.

Penetration more like a good pistol HP or bit less with full power slugs.

Low Recoil 1300 fps one penetrates 13.75" in bare gelatin or 12.75" in heavy clothing
    https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammuniti...ls.aspx?id=704

Full power/standard power 1600 fps one penetrates even less normally 10.0" in bare gelatin or 10.0" in heavy clothing
    https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammuniti...ls.aspx?id=705

But they seem pretty barrier blind at least vs safety glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    That's not my understanding at least if one is talking Foster Slugs, especially Federal Truball.

Penetration more like a good pistol HP or bit less with full power slugs.

Low Recoil 1300 fps one penetrates 13.75" in bare gelatin or 12.75" in heavy clothing
    https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammuniti...ls.aspx?id=704

Full power/standard power 1600 fps one penetrates even less normally 10.0" in bare gelatin or 10.0" in heavy clothing
    https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammuniti...ls.aspx?id=705

But they seem pretty barrier blind at least vs safety glass.

I am relaying the information that I was given by a medical examiner who sees a lot of business. I'll believe him over gelatin tests. What you believe is up to you.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    WW1 era US Army Signal Corps, British Royal Navy submarines and minesweepers and motorcycle couriers used either .44-40 Model 92 or .30-30 Model 94 Winchesters. WW2 Canadian Pacific Coast Rangers used the Winchester 94 in .30-30. The WW1 Spruce Guns are highly collectible. Mine is marked with US on receiver ring with Ordnance bomb and saddle ring with carbine style steel buttplate and ladder sight. Cdn. Ranger carbine are similar configuration but had sling swivels instead of saddle ring and had crossed pennants property mark.
    Interesting from a gun nerd POV but for purposes of the OP’s question, niche applications arming people unlikely to see combat with what ever is available does not = significant military use.

They are like the 3rd line people we’re seeing in the current Ukraine war who are being issued Mosin Bolt actions because they just need “a gun” and are unlikely to have to actually fight with it.

Aa Rob S mentioned up thread, in actual use these guns were never as great as gun lore has made them out to be.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-30-2022 at 11:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    Slugs are NOT staying in a body. They WILL over penetrate.
    There are few absolutes when it comes to terminal ballistics.

Velocity / distance and slug type all play a role.

Neither anecdotal samples nor FBI gel tests are going to correlate 100% to real world outcomes.

I am relaying the information that I was given by a medical examiner who sees a lot of business. I'll believe him over gelatin tests. What you believe is up to you.
    I didn't intend any offense.

I am here to learn, that's why I said that was my understanding, not my certainty or fact.

And I'm certainly not saying Fosters never exit, but at least couple older cops I've talked to reported seeing similar effects, that's what led me to Federal's Gelatin testing.

My recollection is that Remington Fosters are a bit different. Similar to IIRC there was a difference in lead alloy used between Federal, Remington, and Winchester 38+P 158 LHP's which lead to slightly different results in gelatin.

Also I wonder if its possible that many or most of those exits observed by ME are Brennekes?

Anecdotes are not data, I know, but FWIW the only real-world shooting I’m familiar with that used a 12GA Foster slug, the slug penetrated a truck door, went through the driver’s arm, most of his torso, exited the driver, and embedded itself in the passenger. The shotgun had at most a 10” bbl, the slugs were those 1oz 1600fps Remingtons that Wal Mart carried forever, and the distance from shooter to target was slightly more than 40 yards.

@jlw

If one wanted a lever action for… Americana reasons, I guess, would a .30-30 Marlin 336 be your recommendation?

I've put quite a few 12ga slugs clean through deer, foster and sabot. The last one went through the deer and a then through the 4inch tree behind the deer. Seen a few 20ga sabot go clean through deer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Anecdotes are not data, I know, but FWIW the only real-world shooting I’m familiar with that used a 12GA Foster slug, the slug penetrated a truck door, went through the driver’s arm, most of his torso, exited the driver, and embedded itself in the passenger. The shotgun had at most a 10” bbl, the slugs were those 1oz 1600fps Remingtons that Wal Mart carried forever, and the distance from shooter to target was slightly more than 40 yards.

@jlw

If one wanted a lever action for… Americana reasons, I guess, would a .30-30 Marlin 336 be your recommendation?
    Yes. A side loading gate is a must.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

P

And for what it’s worth...

I once discovered an individual who stuck the barrel of a 12 gauge 870 under his chin and pulled the trigger. The Remington Foster slug didn’t exit, much to the surprise of everyone involved. According to the DME, his skull was cracked apart like an eggshell, and held together only by his scalp.

Definitely an outlier. I would count on a 12 gauge slug exiting.

Probably the second weirdest DB I found.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List