Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Underwood .38 Spl 150gr Wadcutter in Clear Ballistics Gel

Yo, @JCN and @the Schwartz, the OP said:

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I was testing it as a "field" or "woods" load, not a carry load. I use clear gel because I'm only comparing penetration of non-expanding bullets.
    I don't think he needs anyone to explain the scientific method or fight for his honor.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

@the Schwartz

I didn’t say you were dumb.
    I didn’t say your work was dumb.

You’re a very smart guy and the work you do is very important.

I’ll even give you credit for the the context of:
    Anything worth doing (as a profession that people are depending on your results) is worth doing well.

I agree with that statement 100%.

But do you think that applies to hobbies and hobbyists?

And do you think any of us besides you consider our work to be above the level of hobbyist?

I'm going to have to start using a caveat when using Clear Ballistics gel. My intention when testing a field or woods load is not to test them as a traditional defense round, and I don't think anyone should view it that way. I am intending to compare how one load performs to another in a medium that is relativity consistent. I'm only interested in seeing how much penetration a non-expanding bullet will achieve. The gel is not meant to represent anything besides a testing medium.
    I use clear gel because of cost and the fact that I can't make more than two blocks of 250A gel at a time. I usually need three or four blocks when I do these tests.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Thank you 5 pins

Thank you The Schwartz

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I'm going to have to start using a caveat when using Clear Ballistics gel. My intention when testing a field or woods load is not to test them as a traditional defense round, and I don't think anyone should view it that way. I am intending to compare how one load performs to another in a medium that is relativity consistent. I'm only interested in seeing how much penetration a non-expanding bullet will achieve. The gel is not meant to represent anything besides a testing medium.
    I use clear gel because of cost and the fact that I can't make more than two blocks of 250A gel at a time. I usually need three or four blocks when I do these tests.
    But yet Wayne Dobbs did for testing his new wadcutters and I think that’s just fine.

Name:  86CE13C7-7C9E-42E2-BFD2-CE54915E089B.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  80.4 KB

I take it as a quick ballpark medium.

If his testing had 12” in clear gel, I would want it validated in organic gel.

But something that goes 15” in clear gel isn’t going to fail sub 12” in organic gel I would wager and even so, Border Patrol goes down to 10” penetration acceptable.

I don’t think Wayne was lazy or remiss. And even though it’s clear gel it gives me the information I was looking for.

His wadcutter also performs in the ballpark of the semi Underwood in the video above as would be expected. So confirmation all around. Not “totally worthless.”

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @the Schwartz

And do you think any of us besides you consider our work to be above the level of hobbyist?
    That's quite a leading question!

Clearly, you're projecting upon me a perspective that is yours. I have neither the desire nor the time to resolve your issues as that sort of thing is entirely out of my wheelhouse.

You've clearly got some weird sort of an axe to grind. That's not my problem.

Let's simply part company before the Mods have cause to intervene, shall we?
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 11-26-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I came here looking for discussion of this load.

I got nearly none of that in three pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I came here looking for discussion of this load.

I got nearly none of that in three pages.
    Well naturally, because the discussion was DOA as soon as 5pins started off with that worthless clear gel!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    *Why* is clear gel not consistent? What makes it inconsistent? Is this a batch-to-batch issue or a shot-to-shot one?

As a manufactured non-organic product, one would expect the consistency to be better, so what makes it inferior?

I'm curious because this keeps getting brought up, but nobody ever explains the hows and whys.

Chris
    The ''search'' function to the rescue!

https://pistol-forum.com/search.php?searchid=15032759
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    The ''search'' function to the rescue!

https://pistol-forum.com/search.php?searchid=15032759
    Clicking on that link dead ends, it might be a cache thing.

Also waiting for the reconciliation of your thoughts on Wayne Dobbs using just clear gel in testing his wadcutters.

Name:  3E713B8F-6A58-4330-9C9E-80CB8C185F1E.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  43.7 KB

Did Wayne “not do it right?”

Or did he do a “good enough” job for what was being tested.

I’m voting the latter, while your comments suggest you’d believe the former.

Oh and also: @jetfire

User Tag List