Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Underwood .38 Spl 150gr Wadcutter in Clear Ballistics Gel

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I would normally apologize for this being off topic given that the OP is talking about field use, but given the circumstances…

What are peoples’ thoughts on the spicier wadcutters (Underwood and Buffalo Bore) for carry with lightweight LCRs and J Frames? Too much recoil to be worth it? Recoil worth it because of some counterbalancing advantage? Comparisons to the “decent for short barrel” JHPs like 135gr Gold Dot?
    I’ll respond to #3 above, only because I’ve shot both the underwood and BB 150 gr full wadcutters alongside the 135gr GDHP+P on several occasions in different revolvers. The recoil across all 3 loads, IMHO, is pretty darn close—which makes me just go with the GDHP. I don’t really see any advantage to the hotter 150 wadcutter loadings, unless one lives in NJ or uses an airweight J as a “black bear gun.” Neither of which I ever plan on doing.

TL/DR there isn’t anything the hot 150s do that either the GDHP+P or a serious “outdoorsman” load, eg. either boutique maker’s 158 gr +P semi wadcutter at 1250, won’t do better. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I would normally apologize for this being off topic given that the OP is talking about field use, but given the circumstances…

What are peoples’ thoughts on the spicier wadcutters (Underwood and Buffalo Bore) for carry with lightweight LCRs and J Frames? Too much recoil to be worth it? Recoil worth it because of some counterbalancing advantage? Comparisons to the “decent for short barrel” JHPs like 135gr Gold Dot?
    Out of a steel frame revolver those would be fine, since they're fairly similar to something like a 135gr +P Gold Dot. But at that point, it makes more sense to just carry the Gold Dot instead. The primary point of wadcutters isn't their shape; it's that out of small, light revolvers they're easier to shoot well and get hits with vs something else.

When picking a defensive revolver load for a snub these are my priorities in order:

1. Does it hit to the sights on a fixed sight gun - if the gun has a dot or adjustable sights, this can be ignored
    2. Does the round meet the FBI standards for penetration
    3. Can I place two accurate hits to the high center chest and a follow up headshot from concealment in what I deem to be an appropriate time, from concealment, on command
    4. Is the recoil/muzzle blast penalty too excessive for my personal use case/could it inhibit me from getting good hits

You'll notice that bullet shape and expansion aren't on this list, because out of a snub they're not nearly as important as putting rounds on target. Or, as Uncle Pat allegedly said "even 158gr LRN killed guys pretty good if you shot them where it mattered."

Unless I'm carrying in the woods I carry my HST reloads (147@930fps). In the woods I like swc or WC depending on my gun. My 2" m10 shoots like a Lazer with WC. Mostly for more penetration if by chance I need it vs an aggressive animal. Shooting small tasty animals with WC also leaves more meat behind.

As for the recoil I prefer heavier loads because I don't have any air weight j frames so it's less of a deal. My bill drills with autos vs magnum revolvers vs heavy 38s in steel k snubs are so close that it's really not worth worrying about.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Unless I'm carrying in the woods I carry my HST reloads (147@930fps).
    That’s interesting because that’s almost the exact same ballistics that I was shooting in a tiny pocket 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That’s interesting because that’s almost the exact same ballistics that I was shooting in a tiny pocket 9mm.
    Except I get to use a custom 3" revolver made by the late Karl Sokol. I have no use for pocket guns since I have 20+ years of building a power lifters ass.

I think I could get a little more velocity with better suited powders but I do what I can with what I can get and it's still within the 147s hsts abilities.

I'm also sure you can out shoot me with that pocket gun if I'm shooting that 3" k frame but I can out shoot myself with a k frame vs pocket sized gun

From my 642 the recoil levels are like this:

Federal 148gr GMM Wadcutter < Winchester 130gr Ranger +p < Speer Gold dot 135gr +p < Buffalo Bore 150gr Wadcutter

The wadcutters shoot a little high and the +p options both shoot to my fixed sight.

I personally like the rangers the best. I wouldn’t care to shoot the BB from a j-frame ever again.

This has been my J-frame load since the Ranger & GD-SB are unobtainium, and it's guaranteed penetration.

Doesn't lead bad and not bad at all in a steel-frame J. A little obnoxious in an Airweight, but not like Underwood's Keith SWC +P load.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    My thoughts....
    The +P Gold Dots and Rangers are fine out of steel snubs, and painful out of lightweight snubs.

I'll be flying to the Midwest in January, and will be taking my SP101 and my M37.
    The initial loads will be Gold Dots (or perhaps Remington 125 gr. Golden Sabre) in the SP101 and 148 gr. WC in the M37.
    Reloads will be speed strips with Gold Dots, because that's what I have on hand and they slip into chambers easier than WCs. If I wind up having to shoot those out of the M37, I will just have to grit my teeth and bear it.

I want to try out some 110 gr. Barnes and 110 gr. Critical Defense as reloads. I've also considered standard pressure Hornady 158 gr. XTPs for reloads. I have no illusions of expansion, but they ought to shoot to the sights, slip into chambers, and the noses wouldn't deform in pockets and whatnot like lead SWCs would.
    How many inches is that sp101?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    How many inches is that sp101?
    https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5720.html
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Federal 158gr LSCW shoot to poa in my 101 and high in my LCR,
    I'd have no problem with the BB in the 101 but, pass with the LCR.
    Federal 148 GM WC shoot right to the sights from my LCR
    at 7 yds's I just received my order of std velocity WC's from
    Lost River today, anxious to give them a try, from what I've
    read in another post, maybe 50fps or so more velocity...
    Hoping poi is the same as the Federal's.
    If time and weather permit's this weekend, maybe I'll run em
    over the chrono.

User Tag List