Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Underwood .38 Spl 150gr Wadcutter in Clear Ballistics Gel

Underwood .38 Spl 150gr Wadcutter in Clear Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: S&W M442
    Barrel length: 1 7/8 inches.
    Ammunition: Underwood .38spl 150gr Wadcutter (Item 732)
    Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Velocity average: 806fps

https://general-cartridge.com/2022/1...allistics-gel/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Always thought UW and BB WC’s were to hot for bi—peds not to mention recoil. However in a heavier gun would be better than a SWC for woods walking.

It’s clear ballistics gel-no clothing, barriers, etc.
    Underwood got a little of my money, and after vetting, these rounds are in my occasionally carried .38 Smith snub. All things considered, it seems a good alternative. The Underwood ammo is high quality.

As always, YMMV…

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    It’s clear ballistics gel-no clothing, barriers, etc.
    Underwood got a little of my money, and after vetting, these rounds are in my occasionally carried .38 Smith snub. All things considered, it seems a good alternative. The Underwood ammo is high quality.

As always, YMMV…
    I was testing it as a "field" or "woods" load, not a carry load. I use clear gel because I'm only comparing penetration of non-expanding bullets.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

It should also be noted by those seeking legitimate test protocols that even when used for tests using non-expanding projectiles, the Clear Ballistics Gel product misrepresents (significantly exaggerates) maximum terminal penetration depth.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I was testing it as a "field" or "woods" load, not a carry load. I use clear gel because I'm only comparing penetration of non-expanding bullets.
    Understood, sir. I was looking for a solid snub load, and for me, I found it.
    If I can arrange a 6-8 inch barrel, I might (with a backup) try it on destructive wild pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Understood, sir. I was looking for a solid snub load, and for me, I found it.
    If I can arrange a 6-8 inch barrel, I might (with a backup) try it on destructive wild pigs.
    Here’s in 20% gel compared to the Underwood SWC.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    It should also be noted by those seeking legitimate test protocols that even when used for tests using non-expanding projectiles, the Clear Ballistics Gel product misrepresents (significantly exaggerates) maximum terminal penetration depth.
    We get it man, organic gel is the gold standard.

Purists think clear gel is “worthless.”

We get it man.

I still like it for comparative testing against a known gold standard.

I’ll usually shoot 9mm Gold Dot as the control and compare against that.

Even organic gel is a simplified estimate on what might work in a real shooting when you add a ton of extra variables like bone and non-muscle structures.

I’ve gone to using 20% clear gel for convenience and transport.
    Last edited by JCN; 11-26-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Here’s in 20% gel compared to the Underwood SWC.

We get it man, organic gel is the gold standard.

Purists think it’s “worthless.”

We get it man.

I still like it for comparative testing against a known gold standard.

I’ll usually shoot 9mm Gold Dot as the control and compare against that.

Even organic gel is a simplified estimate on what might work in a real shooting when you add a ton of extra variables like bone and non-muscle structures.

I’ve gone to using 20% clear gel for convenience and transport.
    What are you comparing? Bullets expand and penetrate different in clear gel. Clear gel is not a consistent media either.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    What are you comparing? Bullets expand and penetrate different in clear gel. Clear gel is not a consistent media either.
    You might as well stop reading, because nothing I say is going to convince you to keep an open mind to what I’m saying.

You have your mind made up already.

For other people reading:

Ballistic science is a science and the work that Schwartz et al have done is admirable and has advanced the field.
    For this, organic gelatin is the gold standard.

For the civilian owner and tester, ballistic testing is mainly for enjoyment and mental masturbation.

We are testing to make ourselves feel better and don’t plan on actually shooting these loads in real self defense.

All of the testing of “AmmoQuest” was pretty much worthless because he could have just picked Gold Dots or HST and called it a day because the testing was already done and validated both in real world use and in rigorous ballistic testing.

For enjoyment, entertainment and hobby testing (which is what I do), my thoughts are the following:

1. The ballistic standards are rigorous and scientific… but they’re meant as a ballpark approximation for what will probably work well in real world shootings where there are heterogenous target densities and variable intermediate barriers.

2. What that means to me is that there’s fudge factor and “good enough is good enough,” both in my personal requirements and in the test results. My testing isn’t so that ammo can be approved for agency use or in offensive LEO work.

3. In that video, I wanted to get a sense of how overpenetration mitigation with semi-wadcutters might fare. It’s a interesting comparison to just a lower velocity wadcutter like a Federal. But it’s just mental masturbation. Doesn’t matter to me that clear gel isn’t homogenous. Because the target use (self defense) isn’t homogenous either.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    You might as well stop reading, because nothing I say is going to convince you to keep an open mind to what I’m saying.

You have your mind made up already.

For other people reading:

Ballistic science is a science and the work that Schwartz et al have done is admirable and has advanced the field.
    For this, organic gelatin is the gold standard.

For the civilian owner and tester, ballistic testing is mainly for enjoyment and mental masturbation.

We are testing to make ourselves feel better and don’t plan on actually shooting these loads in real self defense.

All of the testing of “AmmoQuest” was pretty much worthless because he could have just picked Gold Dots or HST and called it a day because the testing was already done and validated both in real world use and in rigorous ballistic testing.

For enjoyment, entertainment and hobby testing (which is what I do), my thoughts are the following:

1. The ballistic standards are rigorous and scientific… but they’re meant as a ballpark approximation for what will probably work well in real world shootings where there are heterogenous target densities and variable intermediate barriers.

2. What that means to me is that there’s fudge factor and “good enough is good enough,” both in my personal requirements and in the test results. My testing isn’t so that ammo can be approved for agency use or in offensive LEO work.

3. In that video, I wanted to get a sense of how overpenetration mitigation with semi-wadcutters might fare. It’s a interesting comparison to just a lower velocity wadcutter like a Federal. But it’s just mental masturbation. Doesn’t matter to me that clear gel isn’t homogenous. Because the target use (self defense) isn’t homogenous either.
    It's not about keeping an open mind.

Just say I like shooting clear gel because it's fun. That's enough.

User Tag List