Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR Short Stroke

Ruger LCR Short Stroke

I just bought a Ruger LCR 38 Special. I have not had it out to the range yet but I have been doing a little dry fire practice to get used to the trigger. I have short stroked it a few times but each time I was cycling it faster than I probably would in live fire. I guess it is the notorious "false reset" you read about.

For you LCR guys: Anybody noticing this during live fire training?

Yes, it's happened to me a couple times. I have about 540 rounds through mine.

I do have to remember to let the trigger all the way out before starting the next press.

The trigger reset distance is longer for the .38 Special LCR than for any of the S&W J-frames, so I've found that it's definitely easier to short stroke the LCR if you're used to J-frames.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I just bought a Ruger LCR 38 Special. I have not had it out to the range yet but I have been doing a little dry fire practice to get used to the trigger. I have short stroked it a few times but each time I was cycling it faster than I probably would in live fire. I guess it is the notorious "false reset" you read about.

Interested as well, I see one of these in my future...
    hoping to find a used one sooner than later.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    The trigger reset distance is longer for the .38 Special LCR than for any of the S&W J-frames, so I've found that it's definitely easier to short stroke the LCR if you're used to J-frames.
    100% this. In fact, even if you aren't used to S&W you can short stroke the Ruger. I can't ever remember short stroking a S&W though. That is a strength of their design.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    100% this. In fact, even if you aren't used to S&W you can short stroke the Ruger. I can't ever remember short stroking a S&W though. That is a strength of their design.
    I've done it once on a J snub (don't remember which model anymore) pushing speed on F.A.S.T. drills. It was a fluky outlier though. On the other hand, I had to pay attention to avoid it working speed on SP101's. The Smith's don't have that tick of false reset to fool you.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

The Fix:

During dry fire.... consciously race to a FULL RESET until this becomes subconscious and automatic.

Every time you pull the trigger on the LCR you automatically race to a full reset in preparation for the another shot.

Think of it as your finger racing against the return spring.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Anybody try a stronger trigger return spring?

Anybody try a stronger trigger return spring?
    It’s a training thing that will improve with practice.

It takes some getting used to like finding the ragged edge of a semiauto reset.

A 0.20 split with an LCR is like a 0.14 split with a striker semi… you’re on the bleeding edge of the reset margin.

The beauty of the LCR is the light trigger pull but that’s a double edged sword.

Keep practicing and it’ll go away.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

Keep practicing and it’ll go away.
    10-4

User Tag List