Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perhaps Fighting Should Come First

Site Supporter

Perhaps Fighting Should Come First

It's Run, Hide, Fight! However, the recent Colorado Night Club shooting has impacted the world view of an Obama Era homeland security type, now a professor at Harvard in Homeland Security:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-fight/672196/

I’m not ready to say I want my young kids to fight if, God forbid, they encounter a mass shooter. But I’m willing to admit that maybe I want someone present to fight for them. I don’t love it. I don’t even like it. In fact, I hate it.
    Now charging the shooter is brave and works at times, sometimes the heroic person saves lives and dies. Perhaps a realization, that reasonably trained armed folks might help is coming? Perhaps not.

Certainly NYS doesn't see that. With two guys arrested for planning to attack a synagogue, Kathy Hochul prefers people of the Jewish faith to be unarmed. There are restraining orders on that part of the CCIA but probably the 2nd Circuit will think the bans are just dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    ...Kathy Hochul prefers people of the Jewish faith to be unarmed...
    Yeah, that never works out well for us.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, that never works out well for us.
    I only wish more of us kept that in mind when voting.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I only wish more of us kept that in mind when voting.
    If they haven't learned the lessons of history by now...and it's pretty obvious that most haven't, I'm at a loss how to make it any more "bloody" obvious.

The "denial" speaks volumes about the disconnect.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

...charging the shooter is brave and works at times, sometimes the heroic person saves lives...
    Combat Vet Who Stopped The Synagogue Shooter: ‘I Scared The Hell Out Of Him’
    Stewart yelled, according to his wife and others who were at the scene. “You motherfucker! I’m going to kill you!”
    https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/28/c...gogue-shooter/
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If they haven't learned the lessons of history by now...and it's pretty obvious that most haven't, I'm at a loss how to make it any more "bloody" obvious.

The "denial" speaks volumes about the disconnect.
    I’m hoping the idea that fighting might just be okay, as presented in the linked article, starts to become more mainstream. I liken it to airplane hijackings post 9/11. Prior to 9/11, everyone assumed a hijacking would just ruin their travel plans. You’d get flown to Cuba or somewhere and have to sit around on the plane until either the terrorists’ demands were met, or the good guys assaulted the plane and killed the bad guys. After 9/11, imagine someone standing up on your flight and announcing a hijacking. They’ll be swarmed by nearby passengers within seconds. Look what happened to the underwear bomber. That needs to be the cultural shift with regards to this kind of mass murder. People, collectively, need to understand that complying and keeping your head down doesn’t get the results you want. Fighting just might.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I've mentioned this before. After a school shooting, I argued for campus carry. Of course, it didn't go over well. We had a fake open discussion. None of my other 'gun' colleagues spoke up. I asked a colleague what would you do if a killer came to your classroom. He said: What can you do?

That is the mentality of some.

Site Supporter
    I had trouble with the bolded part:

“ I’m not ready to say I want my young kids to fight if, God forbid, they encounter a mass shooter. But I’m willing to admit that maybe I want someone present to fight for them. I don’t love it. I don’t even like it. In fact, I hate it.”

So- don’t want your kids to take action to protect themselves, but you hope someone else will?

Talk about a lack of encouraging personal responsibility- “I hope someone else does something”.
    I completely do not understand such a mindset. Talk about a culture of sheep.

It's Run, Hide, Fight! However, the recent Colorado Night Club shooting has impacted the world view of an Obama Era homeland security type, now a professor at Harvard in Homeland Security:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-fight/672196/

Now charging the shooter is brave and works at times, sometimes the heroic person saves lives and dies. Perhaps a realization, that reasonably trained armed folks might help is coming? Perhaps not.

Certainly NYS doesn't see that. With two guys arrested for planning to attack a synagogue, Kathy Hochul prefers people of the Jewish faith to be unarmed. There are restraining orders on that part of the CCIA but probably the 2nd Circuit will think the bans are just dandy.

Site Supporter
    In a departmental discussion of such horror shows (we were told to have one), I, of course, argued for the maniacally shoot 'em world view. My chair said - we are glad you have training and female colleague X has training. I was surprised and said what training - Oh, she played rugby.

What? I implied my training is for me and not to save you. I would defend where I am and if in a classroom, defend that. For grins, I asked a class, if a nut came in the back and I ran out the front door, would you think ill of me? They said - Go for it. I ditched a beautiful room that was a death trap fatal funnel to escape for an ugly one, that had a few ways out.

I have mentioned we went for glass classroom walls so to be airy and let folks see us intellectual giants at work. So much for hide. One lab had all kinds of tanks of compressed something right up against one glass wall in the corner. That's a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I had trouble with the bolded part:

“ I’m not ready to say I want my young kids to fight if, God forbid, they encounter a mass shooter. But I’m willing to admit that maybe I want someone present to fight for them. I don’t love it. I don’t even like it. In fact, I hate it.”

So- don’t want your kids to take action to protect themselves, but you hope someone else will?

Talk about a lack of encouraging personal responsibility- “I hope someone else does something”.
    I completely do not understand such a mindset. Talk about a culture of sheep.
    I noticed that part too. #wussies
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List