Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 22LR Epiphany: Cheaper and More Available Than Primers

For a long time, rimfire just didn't tickle my fancy like it once did. At one point years ago, I had over 25k .22LR on hand. I basically stopped shooting it during the Obama years panic. Centerfire was bigger boom and more fun. I could shoot 9mm for less than .22 for a long time. Now, that has changed again.

I bought a YHM Phantom .22 can and that has changed things a lot. Subs are legit giggle factor out of my BMR boltgun. I'm currently trying to decide if I'll buy a TacSol Lite barrel for one of my Buckmarks, or have the factory slab side barrel threaded. Cost wise, its a wash. Lite weighs less, but has less durable threads possibly. Stock barrel having the front sight put back on makes threading cost nearly what the Lite does. Decisions decisions.

Also picked up a cheap 10/22 to rebuild into a host... still have not decided what direction I'm going with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I use one of my old Shadow 2 frames and a Kadet kit because the training similarities cross over pretty well from my centerfire guns.

The Kadet kits have a fixed barrel and only the rear reciprocates.
    I have a Kadet kit and a Nelson conversion built that way, too. Same handling as the centerfires until the Pop!
    I wish the various Plastic Plinkers like Glock 44 had done that instead of flyweight full profile slides, but it would likely have cost more to design and produce.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I wish the various Plastic Plinkers like Glock 44 had done that instead of flyweight full profile slides, but it would likely have cost more to design and produce.
    The plastic slide is the #1 reason I don't own a G44.

And the reason my cute little S&W Plastic M&P .22 Compact doesn't get out more.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    For a long time, rimfire just didn't tickle my fancy like it once did. At one point years ago, I had over 25k .22LR on hand. I basically stopped shooting it during the Obama years panic. Centerfire was bigger boom and more fun. I could shoot 9mm for less than .22 for a long time. Now, that has changed again.

I bought a YHM Phantom .22 can and that has changed things a lot. Subs are legit giggle factor out of my BMR boltgun. I'm currently trying to decide if I'll buy a TacSol Lite barrel for one of my Buckmarks, or have the factory slab side barrel threaded. Cost wise, its a wash. Lite weighs less, but has less durable threads possibly. Stock barrel having the front sight put back on makes threading cost nearly what the Lite does. Decisions decisions.

Also picked up a cheap 10/22 to rebuild into a host... still have not decided what direction I'm going with that one.
    https://volquartsen.com/inventory_co...94?clearance=1

https://deserttech.com/trek-22.php?u...day+2022+Email

Had a great time yesterday, this is reaffirmed.

It has become a tradition at my MIL's house after Thanksgiving dinner to setup the steel plates and do some plinking (in the course of this an old computer or two may also be scrubbed of all personal data...). Many of the youngsters just LOVE doing it, as well as many casual adults that are happy to shoot, once a year (like MrsMMc, who really likes the 617, and is really good with it).

This year was extra special, since:
    - It was 60deg and sunny on Thanksgiving Day, in Ohio.
    - This is the last year we will celebrate there since MIL has moved to a care facility (but was brought home for a couple of days) and the house will be marketed soon. It is the kind of place where we can safely shoot, but if we did it more than once a year somebody would bitch. But this was our last hurrah.

Burned up a half a brick of that case I mentioned, and with my newfound knowledge that you can just buy more when you want elevated the fun factor for me.

I just went ahead and ordered that Midwest Industries chassis I mentioned (from affiliated vendor Primary Arms).

Name:  00D92B50-C8F1-4C75-B8FC-5981F3002FEA.jpeg
Views: 260
Size:  27.3 KB

One of these is high on my wantsies list but the NFA bug has bitten me harder…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    .22 ammo prices went back to normal in the spring of 2021.

Check Sportsman’s Guide, Palmetto State Armory or Target Sports USA and wait for a sale. I just picked up CCI mini mags (the round nose) for $8.52 per 100, which is about what I was paying 15 years ago.

Or buy direct from CCI or Federal or Norma.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    The plastic slide is the #1 reason I don't own a G44.
    Everyone who shoots mine adores it, though.

MIL claimed my first one, and still shoots it regularly. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Everyone who shoots mine adores it, though.

MIL claimed my first one, and still shoots it regularly. LOL.
    That's the flip side. I have a ton of Glock/Glock 19 specific support gear... so it makes for a no-brainer trainer for my #1 carry gun.

Only problem is I'm pretty much all in on RMR/dots, and the 44 doesn't have good options for that. I may eventually get one. I'll probably even like it.

User Tag List