Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 22LR Epiphany: Cheaper and More Available Than Primers

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think I am going to buy some kind of MKIV 22/45, not sure if I will buy the Target or the Lite (don't have a can for it). Probably get the Target (cheapest) and maybe get a TacSol upper later.
    Unless you like really muzzle heavy pistols I'd go with the Lite. In fact, I turned my Target into a Lite with a takeoff Lite upper from the Volquartsen clearance page.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Champion's Choice usually has a nice selection of match grade stuff. Not as cheap as the cheap stuff, but generally more accurate, cleaner, and more reliable.

That said, I still have a sizable stash (4-5 bricks) of 40-grain LRN Federal Champion from when it was packages in individual boxes. Still some of the most reliable bulk .22 I've ever shot. The new stuff that is loose packaged is garbage.

There were four of us at the range last night, two of the guys shot exclusively 22LR. Only reason I didn't is that my goal for the night was to get the Wilson Combat sights on my Python zeroed.

I'm seeing a lot of that on my RSO nights lately, some folks shooting only 22, others shooting something centerfire for a while than changing to 22LR for the rest of the range session. 22LR is pretty readily available here at present, so it makes sense.

I go back and forth between a Buckmark with a RDS, and a 1952 vintage S&W K-22. The semi-auto is a little more accurate (mostly because of the RDS), the revolver is very worn but has a pretty good trigger and is more fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Unless you like really muzzle heavy pistols I'd go with the Lite. In fact, I turned my Target into a Lite with a takeoff Lite upper from the Volquartsen clearance page.
    Definitely agree with this. ^^^

I have a MK III 22/45 Lite and a Buckmark Hunter with a heavy barrel. The Ruger gets grabbed when going to the range. As a matter of fact the Browning is fixing to get sold. It’s a great shooter, but much slower on target transitions. In steel challenge there’s no comparison, the Ruger trounces it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post

I have a MK III 22/45 Lite and a Buckmark Hunter with a heavy barrel. The Ruger gets grabbed when going to the range. As a matter of fact the Browning is fixing to get sold. It’s a great shooter, but much slower on target transitions. In steel challenge there’s no comparison, the Ruger trounces it.
    Although there’s something to be said about weight training!

I like heavier 22s because it makes for less of a difference in mechanics when I go to centerfire!

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

I have a MK III 22/45 Lite and a Buckmark Hunter with a heavy barrel. The Ruger gets grabbed when going to the range. As a matter of fact the Browning is fixing to get sold. It’s a great shooter, but much slower on target transitions.
    I am intrigued by the Tactical Solutions uppers. Maybe just because it would be a neat-o tweak, maybe because I like the look better than the Lites, well at least some of them, some of the flute patters are a little beyond my taste.

When I shopped it a bit ago it seemed like you could go that route for $50-$75 more than buying a Lite.

In the case of the Buckmark it is not the serialized receiver, and is a more simple transition. In the case of the MKIV I might consider having two uppers, RDO and FO.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Although there’s something to be said about weight training!
    I probably should specify I am looking at the 5-1/2in. Right now I have a stainless MK (not the 22/45) and I like it, just cannot get my brain wrapped around that grip angle. And whenever I hand it to a new shooter they struggle to find the dot in the Aimpoint (it has one of the silver micros in the no longer available Aimpoint mount).

I like heavier 22s because it makes for less of a difference in mechanics when I go to centerfire!
    Now I am thinking that one strategery that might have merit could be to get the 5-1/2" Target and cut it back to 4" (I have a friend that could easily, and competently do this as a favor), and see how that handles (this also lowers the cost of the endeavor by $150-$250).

I also have a 22/45 Hunter with the short barrel with FO sights. It is old enough that the grip panels were molded in, and they came out with the cool detachable panels probably nine months after I bought it. Oh well, one day I just started grinding and sanding on it until it was flat enough to glue in some grip screw bushings.

I probably should specify I am looking at the 5-1/2in. Right now I have a stainless MK (not the 22/45) and I like it, just cannot get my brain wrapped around that grip angle. And whenever I hand it to a new shooter they struggle to find the dot in the Aimpoint (it has one of the silver micros in the no longer available Aimpoint mount).
    It’s one of the reasons I never bought a Ruger 22 pistol.

I use one of my old Shadow 2 frames and a Kadet kit because the training similarities cross over pretty well from my centerfire guns.

The Kadet kits have a fixed barrel and only the rear reciprocates.

I am intrigued by the Tactical Solutions uppers. Maybe just because it would be a neat-o tweak, maybe because I like the look better than the Lites, well at least some of them, some of the flute patters are a little beyond my taste.

When I shopped it a bit ago it seemed like you could go that route for $50-$75 more than buying a Lite.

In the case of the Buckmark it is not the serialized receiver, and is a more simple transition. In the case of the MKIV I might consider having two uppers, RDO and FO.

Now I am thinking that one strategery that might have merit could be to get the 5-1/2" Target and cut it back to 4" (I have a friend that could easily, and competently do this as a favor), and see how that handles (this also lowers the cost of the endeavor by $150-$250).
    A Tac-Sol upper on the Buckmark is a very nice setup, I just don't need as many .22LR pistols as I have. In my area several folks run them and the Buckmark makes it pretty easy to swap back and forth if you are inclined to use both barrels. Buckmarks have pretty nice triggers out of the box as a nice bonus.

It’s one of the reasons I never bought a Ruger 22 pistol.

I use one of my old Shadow 2 frames and a Kadet kit because the training similarities cross over pretty well from my centerfire guns.
    I probably over think/state the training aspect of this. Most of what I want to do is have fun on the cheap. I really do like just shooting. What I need more reps on his carbine, from a training aspect upping my volume and frequency with something like that MI setup I mention is probably more important. I am shooting too slowly and not confident at three gun. I can hit, but need to get a better feel for how fast I can/cannot.

A Tac-Sol upper on the Buckmark is a very nice setup, I just don't need as many .22LR pistols as I have. In my area several folks run them and the Buckmark makes it pretty easy to swap back and forth if you are inclined to use both barrels. Buckmarks have pretty nice triggers out of the box as a nice bonus.
    I had a Buckmark, and it was all around a better gun out of the box. I sold it when I transitioned back to the Rugers, probably because of the aftermarket fiddle-farting I am still in the midst of. And I am also (at least) trying to consolidate, figuring if I only have one (probably two...) I can get them setup however I want.

I have a MKII and a CZ 455. The MKII has a RDS and the 455 has a scope. Originally I bought the 455 to shoot vermin but when I dialed it in at the range I had a nice surprise. I found it to be extremely accurate which none of my previous rifles were when I was a kid. I can ring an 18" plate at 220 yds with the proper hold over on a calm day. I've owned the MKII for about 30 years and only shot it a few times until I put the RDS on it. That prompted me to buy a case of ammo about 4 years ago. I'll probably never shoot it all but I'm going to try.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List