Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 22LR Epiphany: Cheaper and More Available Than Primers

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    How’s the trigger?
    The linkage isn’t reliably resetting in dry work… have to nudge it forward occasionally. Might have to relieve the polymer she’ll ever so slightly. Have an email into them about that but haven’t shot it on the range yet to confirm. The 5 rounds I tried in my backyard all functioned & reset fine.

So this weekend I have already shot 350 rounds and spent about $280 in the process of saving money...

I went ahead and ordered (in addition to the MI chassis) a Brownells receiver, on sale for $69.

I plan to drop in my intact skinny barrel peep sight stainless 10/22 as an interim solution, while I do the scavenger hunt for components to build out the MI setup.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    So this weekend I have already shot 350 rounds and spent about $280 in the process of saving money...
    Name:  palpatine good.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  22.4 KB

Be advised, those BRN-22 receivers can be problematic. There were enough reports on Rimfire Central and other places when they first came out to keep me away. IIRC it was mostly the usual tolerance issues when mixing and matching aftermarket and factory parts but there were enough issues that Brownells discontinued them for a long time. I don't recall hearing about any updates or a Gen 2 coming out so I don't know if they tightened up the QC or what. I don't hear much about them at all anymore, good or bad, and honestly I didn't know there were any still available. I figured they'd been blown out and gone for quite a while.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Be advised, those BRN-22 receivers can be problematic.
    Well.... I guess Imma gonna fuck around and find out...
    Seriously, there are soooooo many options out there, the $70 option was what toggled me from buying a cheap rifle and swapping a bunch of stuff. One thing about it, Brownells has a liberal return policy (kinda like Walmart, according to Rodney Carrington they will take a return of a diaper that already has shit in it...), so I guess I will give it a whirl. But it will take me a while to gather all of the other stuff.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Definitely agree with this. ^^^

I have a MK III 22/45 Lite and a Buckmark Hunter with a heavy barrel. The Ruger gets grabbed when going to the range. As a matter of fact the Browning is fixing to get sold. It’s a great shooter, but much slower on target transitions. In steel challenge there’s no comparison, the Ruger trounces it.
    The Hunter isn't just a heavy barrel, it's 7 1/4 inches long. A 4- or 5.5-inch standard barrel is easy to pick up off fleabay for cheap. Add a top rail and you're back to standard BM spec. Or camp out for one of the old Challenger III or Buck Mark pencil barrels, 5 1/2 or 6 1/4 inches.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Well.... I guess Imma gonna fuck around and find out...
    Seriously, there are soooooo many options out there, the $70 option was what toggled me from buying a cheap rifle and swapping a bunch of stuff. One thing about it, Brownells has a liberal return policy (kinda like Walmart, according to Rodney Carrington they will take a return of a diaper that already has shit in it...), so I guess I will give it a whirl. But it will take me a while to gather all of the other stuff.
    At this point I don't think Brownells would have started listing them again if they didn't think they had the problems worked out so it's probably going to be ok. Keep an eye on the Volquartsen clearance page. A couple of weeks ago I scored a new, stripped Charger receiver for $75.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

At this point I don't think Brownells would have started listing them again if they didn't think they had the problems worked out so it's probably going to be ok.
    I sure would think so, maybe they are all fixed up but on sale because maybe there used to be issues.

Before the weekend I should have everything I need to setup my current rifle in my soon to arrive MI chassis. I dunno what it is about stuff like this, bought my first gun in 1973 and still get a little giddy about stuff like this.

Keep an eye on the Volquartsen clearance page.
    $40 for a second MKIV upper might be fun to just screw around with, like maybe a 3"...

Where to begin - the older I get, the more I enjoy my 22s

Marvel "practical" -- not sure what they call it now - on a slightly modified Delta

Nelson on a Ruger Lightweight CMD.

Advantage Arms on a Gen 3 Glock 22 along side a pre 17 K22

One of my current favorite fun guns - Bersa Thunder

S&W 317 and 617

And a Freedom Arms M97

Love em all
    Had a CZ Kadet, but sold it -- big mistake
    Paul

I went ahead and ordered (in addition to the MI chassis) a Brownells receiver, on sale for $69.

I plan to drop in my intact skinny barrel peep sight stainless 10/22 as an interim solution, while I do the scavenger hunt for components to build out the MI setup.
    How's this coming along? If you need some enabling inspiration...:

How's this coming along? If you need some enabling inspiration...
    Well, the strategery for testing things out with the existing rifle didn't hold up for shit
    I thought about pulling pieces off of it to create a testbed, then just decided screw it and started buying things.
    I was going to wait until it was finished to post up some pictures, but the storm is going to delay a few things. Here is the current state of affairs:

Name:  MMc 1022 122322.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  33.4 KB

Put several hundred rounds through it on Wednesday, and by the last 50-100 it was rocking along.
    Parts List:
    MI Chassis
    MOE-K Grip (need one that doesn't fill behind the receiver)
    MOE Carbine Stock (color matchy gray inbound)
    M-LOK MVG® Vertical Grip
    Brownells Receiver
    Ruger BX Trigger (smoking deal at lockedloaded.com, $52)
    Ruger BX-25 Magazines (best deal at lockedloaded.com, $35 two pack)
    Barrel Faxon 16" Flame Fluted tapered
    JWH Custom Bolt Kit and Charging Handle (liked his charging handle, bought his bolt)
    Trigger Pins
    Brownells Buffer Tube & Castle Nut (I have an Aero Enhanced I plan to move to one of my ARs, so I didn't need this, but for $24 said screw it)
    SIG Romeo5
    MI T1 Optic Mount (on way)

I would say all this blew the budget, iffin I had set a budget. I just realized that if I spent 6mo gathering all of this stuff I would spend 6mo having the other rifle disassembled and I might want to take them both to the range.

So far the only concern is I think the castle nut was chewing up my thumb. Not sure what the solution might be, maybe some heat shrink tube. I will evaluate it better when I am not rushed because I really should be home preparing for the storm instead of farting around at the range.

I also just watched the Chris video. Maybe this barrel will make its way into another one with a scope, and a Gemtech MIST will come to live on this one someday...

User Tag List