Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in your EV in the snow?

@blues, they're stealing your show.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Good info in this thread, especially as someone that recently got an EV. Still, with threats of snow, May still be better off in the Silverado.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    @blues, they're stealing your show.
    This is the first post I've read in this thread and since I don't intend to read it anyway, consider this my abdication (for the purposes of this thread only).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    This thread has drifted from the OP.

Anyway, the roads near me are clear and I was able to go get chocolate for the wife. Major suggestion - in the emergency food have chocolate! We do have about 2 to 3 feet around the base of the house and the front yard border has a plowed wall of about 4 ft in places. Could have been worse like the Southtowns. We chose the Northtowns for a reason that we usually miss most of the horror shows.

It's interesting to see the deer prints. They come about 3 to 4 AM. They walk up the front windows and then away at all the houses in a line. Wonder what attracts them? There are ornamental bushes. If you look at the window and turn on the lights, you get and they get startled.

That's really interesting how the EVs work.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...-winter-range/

Snippet:

But there’s a fix for electric cars with dwindling range in winter: the humble heat pump.
    Two factors account for why electric vehicles have a slightly harder time in cold weather than gas-powered cars. One stems from the simple reality that the massive lithium-ion batteries in electric cars perform best around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. “Cars are like humans,” said Anna Stefanopoulou, a professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Michigan. “They like room temperature.”
    At cold temperatures, lithium ions — which flow from the anode of the battery to the cathode of the battery to create an electrical current — move more slowly through the battery and face greater resistance. That causes the battery to function less efficiently.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold
    https://nypost.com/2024/01/16/news/c...bots-out-here/

The Electric Car Con Explained
    https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...explained.html

As an Electrical Engineer, I'm puzzled why the specification for an "electric vehicle in the United States" would not include temperatures typically expected in winter.

I'm no automotive expert, but a quick look seems to indicate a well-maintained ICE vehicle can operate from -35 F to 130 F, assuming a mixture of 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water. The User Manual for my Ram 1500 says to use a block heater for starting temperatures below -22 F.

So why would the expectation for an EV be any different? Why doesn't the operating concept for the Tesla / Charging system not include some kind of "pre-warming" mode where the battery pack temp is raised to allow charging to take place? I've got zip for knowledge about Teslas, so if they have this, and this recent cold-weather failure is due to some other issue, I'd be interested in what it is. These people seem pretty cheesed off about having to have their Electric Car towed there in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Why doesn't the operating concept for the Tesla / Charging system not include some kind of "pre-warming" mode where the battery pack temp is raised to allow charging to take place?
    My understanding of the matter is that they do, but it got cold enough that all of the charging power was being consumed to warm the battery, and not much left to accomplish a charge.

User Tag List