Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barrel Cooling Fans?

Site Supporter
    I’ve personally dealt with 147 eldm factory loads blowing up. These were LE marked boxes and SKUs. They were generally less than 0.5 moa in my and my partners rifles. But every once in a while, one would just “disappear” mid air. As in- fire 3 and stack them on a steel at say 500, then #4 would just never make it to the target. #5 would be right back with the rest.

We then changed to the 140 eldm and have had zero issues.

Site Supporter
    I'd consider using one to help get a suppressor cool enough for storage after getting it hot on the range. Otherwise, nah.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think it is a design issue.
    Yes, that's amplified by higher velocities (~3,000 FPS) and heat.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Ok, passing on second hand information which I don’t like doing. It’s my understanding that while they do aide in cooling, not much more than normal radiation. None of my .mil peeps use them. When I asked about them, I was told they just open the bolt and set the rifle on the butt so the heat easily escapes the raised bore.

Military has different requirements than what a competitor may need.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I believe the issue with 147's blowing up was limited to one batch.

Not according to what we see in the industry. I personally us them with success due to the lower velocities ~2,650fps though my setup but if I was approaching 2,900ish I'd sack up and go with Bergers.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    For whatever reason, I've never seen one before. But at the range today a fellow shooter was using one.

Do they actually work?

Going to get into reloading soon and wonder if one would help during load development sessions.
    I use this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Most barrels shoot well when they're hot, but the mirage coming off of the barrel distorts what you see through your optics. That's why Palma and F-class shooters use mirage shields. Most sporting rifles don't lend themselves to mirage shields, so you have to let their barrels cool. I hate sitting around waiting for that.

This morning temperature was about 40F. I had a short gap between work calls and I needed to zero a 308 sporter and a flyweight 7-08, so I used the cooler.

I got to the range and hung targets at 25, 100, and 200 yards. The 7-08 will put first three shots nearly touching but then groups start to walk, so I'd shoot three, stick the cooler in it, and shoot two or three groups with the 308. Then I'd stick the cooler in the 308 and shoot another group in the 7-08. Arrival at the range to departure was about 45 minutes, including hanging/retrieving targets.

Barrels take a while to cool in warm weather, so I definitely use it for working up loads in the summer. Double-based powders like N560 burn surprisingly hotter than single-based powders, so if I use them in charges over about 58 grains, then I use the cooler even in the winter.

I see only two downsides to the Riflekuhl: it makes a high-pitched whine that attracts a lot of attention and inane conversation, and it eats batteries like a fat kid eats cake.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I use this one.

Most barrels shoot well when they're hot, but the mirage coming off of the barrel distorts what you see through your optics. That's why Palma and F-class shooters use mirage shields. Most sporting rifles don't lend themselves to mirage shields, so you have to let their barrels cool. I hate sitting around waiting for that.

This morning temperature was about 40F. I had a short gap between work calls and I needed to zero a 308 sporter and a flyweight 7-08, so I used the cooler.

I got to the range and hung targets at 25, 100, and 200 yards. The 7-08 will put first three shots nearly touching but then groups start to walk, so I'd shoot three, stick the cooler in it, and shoot two or three groups with the 308. Then I'd stick the cooler in the 308 and shoot another group in the 7-08. Arrival at the range to departure was about 45 minutes, including hanging/retrieving targets.

Barrels take a while to cool in warm weather, so I definitely use it for working up loads in the summer. Double-based powders like N560 burn surprisingly hotter than single-based powders, so if I use them in charges over about 58 grains, then I use the cooler even in the winter.

I see only two downsides to the Riflekuhl: it makes a high-pitched whine that attracts a lot of attention and inane conversation, and it eats batteries like a fat kid eats cake.

Okie John

My general experience as well. Mine doesn’t seem to eat batteries tho.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List